Safety Tips in Perth

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Perth

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo

Carpark theft

by TheWanderingCamel Updated Oct 18, 2005

I wish I didn't feel the need to say this about my home town, but a very recent experience has brought it right home, and I would hate a visitor to have their holiday spoilt in this way. Theft from cars is unfortunately a reality and there are always opportunists around.

Be very careful about where you park and what you leave in your car at popular tourist spots.
    Try to park as close as you can to the most active points of the carpark - near a walkway, a cafe, etc, where there is more likelihood that your car will be seen by people coming and going, even if this means you have to walk a little further
    Don't leave anything on show and make sure anything you have locked in the boot is in there before you arrive - don't let yourself be seen transferring stuff over.
    If your car has an open back - a station wagon, 4x4, etc - make sure your things are well hidden and/or covered - again, before you arrive rather than as you are leaving the car.

This are all obvious precautions but it's so easy to be too busy enjoying yourself to remember - DON'T!!! Forgetting them could ruin your holiday.

We were robbed at the carpark by the Penguin Island ferry point, a popular place for thieves the police told us - the ferry comes and goes on the hour, giving them a nicely regular turnover of cars being left in an otherwise quiet spot.

Look and lock before you leave

• Tripack's Profile Photo

Do not feed the hungry Quokka

by Tripack Updated Jun 19, 2005

On Rottnest Island, you will met some stunning locals, for instance the Quokka (a mix between rat and wallaby).

They seem to be greedy, hopefully not for beer but for chocolate ice cream.
    PLEASE DO NOT FEED THEM, it is very bad for their natural diet. (may be applicable for the hungry Tripack too;-)

I just add the official warning from my friendly aussie rangers:

It is important for visitors to refrain from feeding quokkas and other fauna on Rottnest Island. Quokkas may become very ill as a result of eating unsuitable food such as bread, chips, chocolate ice cream and meat. Rottnest Island Rangers may issue infringements to people who feed quokkas.

Tripack under Quokka attack!!!
    • National/State Park

• Purpleshade's Profile Photo

Be extra careful driving in the rain.

by Purpleshade Updated Mar 2, 2007

I was driving to work yesterday(March 07), and as I was turning onto a side road, I saw the ute in front of me suddenly swerve.
    'What the f... is he doing?' I thought, he looks as if he's about to 'chuck a u-ey'(turn around), he can't do that here, there's no room except for the grass verge with a steep curb around it!

I slowed down considerably.....a few seconds later the ute had hit the curb, bounced up it, continued to bounce across the rough ground and flipped right over onto it's side a few metres in front of me.

I was the first to stop....thoughts racing at the speed of light... OMG OMG OMG is the driver alright? ...Don't panic, don't panic... pull in carefully... make sure your car won't get hit by traffic coming round the corner... make sure to put the brake on properly... make sure there's nothing coming before you get out ...
    As I ran back to the overturned vehicle I was thinking, 'please let him be alright, please let someone else stop too'.

As I reached the ute the driver was climbing out of the top(unharmed),white and shaking.

It had just rained after being dry for a long time, which brings months of accumulated oil to the surface and the roads are EXTREMELY slippery. Drivers often forget that you need to brake more slowly when it's wet and he was driving too close to the car in front of him and skidded and lost control.

I've seen it happen several times after summer rain, hence the warning SLOW DOWN WHEN IT RAINS!!

Sometimes the rain is extremly heavy and roads will be liable to flooding, intersections are often affected.
    Additionally, especially during the first rains of the summer, there are power cuts when the (above ground) cables short out because of the dust collected on them. This of course means that the traffic lights don't work!
    If you are drivng and there is a sudden downpour, pull over if you feel unsafe, the heavy rain rarely lasts long.

Heavy rain bouncing off the roof of our shed
    • Water Sports

• Tripack's Profile Photo

Rent a car: cover all risks!

by Tripack Updated Jun 19, 2005

When renting your car for a little trip outside Perth, don't forget to include all risks in your insurance coverage.

Myself I've hesitate to take all coverage to save up some dollars, but at the end I took all. Hopefully because after 20km heading to the North, a small stone crash into the windshied. No worries I though just a small impact... three day after I could admire a crack of 1 meters from the bottom to the top of the front window...

Be sure to be properly insured against all roads or damage risks.

Do not drive the night too or be ready to crash into kangoroos.

Drive safely.

Prepare your Credit cra$h Card!

• tkdqueen's Profile Photo

Beach safety

by tkdqueen Written Oct 19, 2003

Women beware. There are so many secluded beaches in Oz & it's so tempting to go to the quieter ones. I did - but there were a few weirdo's around watching the women etc. Granted there are life guards around during the summer months (our winter) but they warned me too - when I left the beach a car pulled up and a guy wanted to give me a lift so be careful - you're better off going to the popular spots....there are loads!!!!

City Beach, Perth

• stedeb's Profile Photo

Northbridge at night

by stedeb Written Aug 31, 2003

We hear a lot of stories about Northbridge being dangerous at night, well it can be!!!!! I don't know about anyone else out there but if I go to a strange city I don't vear off the busy parts of town same applies to Perth. Use your common sense don't take short cuts down back alley ways stick to the main routes even if it takes an extra couple of minutes to get back to your hostel etc.
    We have been into Northbridge and never had a problem but doesn't mean it doesn't happen

• juliealdous's Profile Photo

Spiders

by juliealdous Written Nov 26, 2003

You hear many stories about spiders in australia, well we were there for 3 weeks and the only spider we came across was yes a redback .But I believe they will not harm you unless you start poking them or stick your hand in there web.Most redback spiders don`t leave there web very much.So if you are careful and check before doing anything where a spider might make a nest eg places that might not get disturbed that often you should be fine.If you do get bitten go straight to the hospital.

redback spider

• pinkbear's Profile Photo

The streets at night

by pinkbear Written Jul 15, 2003

I don't want everyone to immediately think Perth is a dangerous city, because it really is not. However, given it has much less bustle than bigger Cities people seem to think it's okay not to take normal precautions like in other parts of the world. But there have been some not so pleasant things happen over the last few years to women walking alone late at night, so please don't take any unnecessary risks, try and find a walking buddy.

• Study Abroad

• FOotFetish's Profile Photo

Spiders, snakes and sharks!

by FOotFetish Written Oct 11, 2003

Spiders and Snakes are common during summer. In Western Australia, Redbacks and white tailed spiders are quite common even in the household. Reds are be quite deadly to humans if bitten. White tailed can cause gangrene of the skin if not treated on time!
    Snakes are always hanging around the gardens. So keep a lookout. Of course, sharks..that goes without saying.
    If i ever catch a red back, I;ll take the pic and scan it in!
    Stay tuned!

• School Holidays

• Purpleshade's Profile Photo

Will my mobile phone work in Australia?

by Purpleshade Updated Mar 7, 2008

Will my phone work-IT DEPENDS!!

Your phone needs to work on one of these networks: CDMA, GSM or 3G

To use the plan you are on, your phone/plan needs to needs to include 'International Roaming'.
    Some providers will have reciprocal arrangement with other countries so that you will be charged local rates for local calls.
    Others will not, and will be expensive to use.

You may be better off buying a local Sim card.
    This of course means that you will have a new number which family and friends from home will not know(unless you tell them) if they want to reach you.

Pre-paid Sim cards are available at Perth airport as well as many other shops. They will cost you less than $30 including some calls.

If you are planning to travel to remote areas, check the coverage of the area before you choose a provider, some areas are not covered by all providers.

Check here: http://www.mobilephonesecrets.com.au/australian-mobile-phone-networks.html

NB. When checking coverage, don't presume that when a provider says they cover 95% of the population, that it will cover 95% of the area of the country. An extremely large proportion of the population live in the cities around the coast.

• Whale Watching
    • Water Sports
    • Beaches

• Charlie_UK's Profile Photo

...what doesn't work

by Charlie_UK Updated Mar 3, 2003

The following sort of things usually work elsewhere in Australia but not in Perth:

1-The booking computer at the YHA Britannia

2-The road crossings

3-Absolutely anything involving ticketing, administration or stewarding at the WACA Cricket ground.

4-Whale watching timetables - you could end up paying and then get robbed because "we don't do it today."

5-The pump serving Indian Pale ale at the Brass Monkey (ok so I'm pushing it a bit now)

6-The airport shuttle bus. Do not catch unless you have several hours before your flight. It goes everywhere...very slowly.

7-Trying to arrange a rendezvous with someone you have never met before and only have one picture of, shortly before he stopped wearing glasses and shaved off his moustache, at the bus station. The trouble is that Perth has TWO bus stations.

• Gwynneth's Profile Photo

Obessions with Renovating!

by Gwynneth Updated May 27, 2004

My life is consumed by renovations in my new, but small, 1960's apartment! I have just found my perfect 'bar stools' and wanted to show you! They're from one of the funkiest stores here in Perth called Monroes! I love it!

The seat is height adjustable from 500mm to 730mm high, I've chosen white as opposed to any of the other 11 colours as the stainless steel base and white seat will complement the rest of the kitchen and eating area.

I will have to wait until June when the shipment arrives from Italy with my order on it... but they're so cute the wait will be worthwhile!

(hmmm, my obsesion for renovating and decorating maybe the reason I've slowed down the travelling ... ah! catch 22!)

Be warned: Renovating often means you spend a lot of money and have nothing left to go travelling with!

Ah! The agony!

My Fabulous NEW Barstools!
    • Business Travel
    • Architecture

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo

Redback and Other Spiders

by Kathrin_E Written Mar 31, 2009

The Perth area is known to be home of Redback Spiders which are a poisonous species and should be treated with due respect. Bites are painful and cause real trouble in case of allergic reactions - if in doubt, see a doctor.

These spiders are common in gardens, they like building their webs in rubbish heaps, piles of building materials, in sheds, they are happy in pit toilets where lots of insects assemble.

We visited local friends in a suburb of Perth and asked about Redback spiders.
    "Ah yes sure we have them, there are usually some in the drain down there (pointing to a spot next to my chair).... No one home today? Let's have a look in the shed."
    True Aussie coolness.
    A minute later Eddie arrived with a plastic bowl with this beauty here in it.
    I later learned that this one is not a Redback but a Red-Legged Widow, which is however not harmless either. Both species are closely related to the American Black Widow.

Conclusion: No paranoia but have a look first before grabbing into potential hiding spots, underneath your garden chair, underneath a dunny seat.

Red-legged Widow
    • Eco-Tourism

• imstress's Profile Photo

No Dairy Products and Meat Products allowed

by imstress Written Aug 25, 2007

Pls note that dairy products and meat products are not allowed into Australia. The custom officers are very strict with declarations. If you are not sure if you have any forbidden items in your luggage, just go to the queue where you need to declare. Especially if you have any food items in your luggages, you had better declare it or faced heafty fines.

Our few bags of vacuum packed barbaque pork were confiscated. Even when we told they they were gifts for our firends, they were not allowed in. We were surprised even the individually vacuum packed BBQ Meat are not allowed. But our pork and fish floss packed in cans went through. At least we weren't left empty handed when we visit our friends.

We saw items like 3 in 1 coffee, Teh Tarik, instand noodles were all confiscated by the custom officers.

You will need to pay A$30 for storage fees, if you wish to redeem your items upon exit of Perth Airport.

• bryINpoland's Profile Photo

Pick Up Your Pooh!

by bryINpoland Written Mar 7, 2005

I have seen signs before at parks, informing you to pick up after your dog when he decides to take a dump, but i have never seen a sign that actually shows a graphic picture of it.

I guess they really have a problem with it in Australia, even slapping you with a $100 fine if u fail to oblige. They even take the time to supply u with plastic bags to clean up the deed.

I just love the picture...

Thats awesome

Latest: Jul 21, 2014
Bentley Motel
Latest: Jul 10, 2014

Instant Answers: Perth

Comments

Perth Warnings and Dangers

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Perth locals.
Map of Perth