Pilbara Travel Guide

Pilbara Things to Do

That tree 4 more images

by iandsmith Written Nov 29, 2008

For sheer photographic opportunites, nothing beat Knox Gorge on our trip through Western Australia. The light was just right and the vistas spectacular.
    Where you enter the gorge is down a steep path. At the bottom 99% of hikers turned left. Naturally enough, we went right. Hey, it's just what I do!
    Truth is, I was after a particular tree that I'd spotted from above the night before and I was determined to get at least one snap of it. In the end, Bob and I must have taken over 100 shots of the tree, so picturesque was it.
    The walk took us around 5 hours and, at times, we had to scale some difficult terrain but luckily without incident. We didn't return down the gorge but instead took another route out after about 4 hours and walked up through the lawn of the apocolypse (spinifex) to reach the top which is where I took one of my all time favourite shots (pic 5) though it's fairly typical of the terrain there.
    We overheard a ranger saying, "Some people say this is the prettiest gorge of them all", before we departed and I, for one, can't disagree with that.

This shot is side on, sorry about that 4 more images

by iandsmith Written Nov 27, 2008

Joffre and Knox Gorge are near each other and eventually intersect when you are doing the walk along the canyons.
    Up the top where I took these photos (and again, you need to see them all to get some perspective) you gaze down into a weird and wonderful world of layered iron oxide dating back to a time when life as we know it never existed. This is some of the oldest rock in the world.
    The falls are dramatic and, next time I go I may venture to the bottom but even spending over an hour at the top is so rewarding.
    They're situated about 20 kilometres drive from Oxer Lookout.

• Seniors

Looking into the abyss 4 more images

by iandsmith Written Nov 27, 2008

This is a place for the adventurous. Here the grade goes from 5 to 6 and rightly so.
    Those unsure on their feet will not venture here and even some of those who are will not, myself numbered among them. As I don't go anywhere without my camera I judged the risk too great of getting my camera immersed so I held back and photographed while others took the risk.
    Even the young and fit said it was scary and it eventually winds up in Kermit's Pool where you have to slide down to get in.
    Spider Walk runs off the side of the Amphitheatre in Hancock Gorge.
    It's worth looking at all the photos here.

Pilbara Warnings and Dangers

• Dxenion's Profile Photo
    A little flood, just under 1 metre.

by Dxenion Updated Apr 4, 2011

Be aware that when driving between towns, flash flooding from distant rains 100's of kilometres away can cut highways almost without warning.

We quite regularly drove from Port Hedland to Karratha to shop, but nearly didn't make it back one night due to flooding that cut the highway in three places.

With regards to the photo, we only had to wait 45 minutes for the flood to subside enough for us to get through but you could be stuck on the wrong side of the road for hours or maybe a day or two.

Authorities do patrol the highways and have the power to declare a section of the highway closed. You will get a major fine if you try to cross a closed section and have to be rescued if you get caught in the flood. Ring the Statewide Road Condition Report number listed below before you travel or look up the road on the website report.

Instant Answers: Pilbara

Comments

Pilbara Travel Guide
Map of Pilbara