Pilbara Travel Guide

by billdespo

Pilbara Things to Do

A day of hard Knox

by iandsmith Written Nov 29, 2008

For sheer photographic opportunites, nothing beat Knox Gorge on our trip through Western Australia. The light was just right and the vistas spectacular.
    Where you enter the gorge is down a steep path. At the bottom 99% of hikers turned left. Naturally enough, we went right. Hey, it's just what I do!
    Truth is, I was after a particular tree that I'd spotted from above the night before and I was determined to get at least one snap of it. In the end, Bob and I must have taken over 100 shots of the tree, so picturesque was it.
    The walk took us around 5 hours and, at times, we had to scale some difficult terrain but luckily without incident. We didn't return down the gorge but instead took another route out after about 4 hours and walked up through the lawn of the apocolypse (spinifex) to reach the top which is where I took one of my all time favourite shots (pic 5) though it's fairly typical of the terrain there.
    We overheard a ranger saying, "Some people say this is the prettiest gorge of them all", before we departed and I, for one, can't disagree with that.

That tree Small spring We climbed over the ledge on the right Dramatic colours Termites nest and ghost gum

Joffre Falls

by iandsmith Written Nov 27, 2008

Joffre and Knox Gorge are near each other and eventually intersect when you are doing the walk along the canyons.
    Up the top where I took these photos (and again, you need to see them all to get some perspective) you gaze down into a weird and wonderful world of layered iron oxide dating back to a time when life as we know it never existed. This is some of the oldest rock in the world.
    The falls are dramatic and, next time I go I may venture to the bottom but even spending over an hour at the top is so rewarding.
    They're situated about 20 kilometres drive from Oxer Lookout.

This shot is side on, sorry about that At times you wouldn't even know it's there Small cascades at the top Into the abyss Late afternoon at Joffre Falls
    • Seniors

Spider walk

by iandsmith Written Nov 27, 2008

This is a place for the adventurous. Here the grade goes from 5 to 6 and rightly so.
    Those unsure on their feet will not venture here and even some of those who are will not, myself numbered among them. As I don't go anywhere without my camera I judged the risk too great of getting my camera immersed so I held back and photographed while others took the risk.
    Even the young and fit said it was scary and it eventually winds up in Kermit's Pool where you have to slide down to get in.
    Spider Walk runs off the side of the Amphitheatre in Hancock Gorge.
    It's worth looking at all the photos here.

Looking into the abyss Backpacker down the gorge An awesome spot Above Spider Walk An idea of the size of the place

Pilbara Warnings and Dangers

• Dxenion's Profile Photo

Flash floods

by Dxenion Updated Apr 4, 2011

Be aware that when driving between towns, flash flooding from distant rains 100's of kilometres away can cut highways almost without warning.

We quite regularly drove from Port Hedland to Karratha to shop, but nearly didn't make it back one night due to flooding that cut the highway in three places.

With regards to the photo, we only had to wait 45 minutes for the flood to subside enough for us to get through but you could be stuck on the wrong side of the road for hours or maybe a day or two.

Authorities do patrol the highways and have the power to declare a section of the highway closed. You will get a major fine if you try to cross a closed section and have to be rescued if you get caught in the flood. Ring the Statewide Road Condition Report number listed below before you travel or look up the road on the website report.

A little flood, just under 1 metre.

Pilbara Favorites

• Chinggis_n_Borte's Profile Photo

"Red Dog", Dampier, Pilbara

by Chinggis_n_Borte Updated Jan 31, 2015

Favorite thing: Perhaps some of you have seen the Aussie block buster movie "Red Dog"?

Red Dog is a real life character. And the movie is based on his life. Pilbara is the region where Red Dog was born in a little minig town called Paraburdoo in 1971, a town rich in Iron Ore.

I will not kill the thrill for those who have not seen this beautiful Australian movie, but for those who are interested in this area, and Australian culture, the movie offers a real insight. It is also a beautiful and sentimental story, and sure to pull at some heart strings.

It was a true story of a dog (an Australian bred red cattle dog named Tally Ho) owned by Col Cummins (first owner) who brought him to the port of Dampier in 1974.

But the movie is actually also a love story between an American tourist who arrived in Australia and found a work in this mining town as a bus driver and a lovely local Australian lady who works as a part time secretary in the mining company.

The dog's second owner was the American bus driver named John Stazonelli.The year was roundabout early 70's when Pilbara was just about to have its initial mining boom of its vast iron ore deposits.

The Port of Dampier in Pilbara is now a very succesful town since the discovery of the new energy Liquefied Natural Gas in addition to the iron ore. This town is believed to be the worlds biggest supplier of Natural Gas.

The movie is also heart breaking.

Red Dog died when his American bus driver-owner passed away. It was loneliness that sent Red Dog to his final eternal destination on Nov 21, 1979.

The miners built a small memorial to Tally Ho known as Red Dog at the entrance of Port Dampier to remember this lovely dog. A lot of tourists visit this memorial of Red Dog in Dampier.

Red Dog is a local legend.

Fondest memory: The Red Dog named Tally Ho

Tally Ho the Red Dog

Instant Answers: Pilbara

Comments

Pilbara Travel Guide
Map of Pilbara