Toodyay Things to Do

  • Toodyay Vintage cars by aussirose
    Toodyay Vintage cars by aussirose
    by aussirose
  • Toodyay Vintage cars by aussirose
    Toodyay Vintage cars by aussirose
    by aussirose
  • Toodyay Vintage cars by aussirose
    Toodyay Vintage cars by aussirose
    by aussirose

Most Recent Things to Do in Toodyay

  • aussirose's Profile Photo

    Toodyay - Home of Vintage cars

    by aussirose Written Dec 21, 2012

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    There is not alot to do at Toodyay itself well except for having deavonshire tea in the cafe or a drink or two in the old heritage pub and a few games of pool with the locals.

    However on the weekend Toodyay comes alive with old Vintage cars. It seems that all the locals and those that know about this unusual custom visit Toodyay on the weekend.

    So if you are into Vintage cars then Toodyay is the place to be on the weekend.

    Toodyay Vintage cars by aussirose Toodyay Vintage cars by aussirose Toodyay Vintage cars by aussirose Toodyay Vintage cars by aussirose
    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Photography
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Hoddywell Archery Park in Toodyay, WA

    by david1987 Written Mar 17, 2012

    2 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Hoddywell Archery Park is 15km from Toodyay. I enjoyed a round of archery on their beginners trail and then had a nice hot coffe at their kiosk. Their website is at www.hoddywellarchery.com.au. Check it Out!

    Related to:
    • Camping
    • Road Trip
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    The Tourist Centre

    by keeweechic Updated Apr 4, 2011

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The Tourist Centre is behind Connors Mill. You can buy your tickets to the Mill here or to the Old Gaol. They have the usual information on local and more broader areas as well as local products and crafts for sale. Within the centre is also Ye Olde Lolly Shoppe.

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    Coca Cola Cafe and Museum

    by keeweechic Updated Mar 1, 2006

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Situated on the main street, this is a 50's styled cafe full of coca cola memorabilia. The collection has been accumulated over 40 years and no matter where you are sitting inside the cafe you will be confronted but all sorts of coca cola bits and pieces. Out the front you can dine al fresco.

    The cafe is open 7 days a week Mon to Fri 9.00am to 5.00pm, Fri Steak House from 6.30pm to 9.00pm and Sat to Sunday from 8.00am to 5.00pm.

    Related to:
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    Duidgee Park

    by keeweechic Updated Feb 22, 2006

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    This is one of Toodyays more popular parks. There are gas barbecue facilities, tables, toilets with wheelchair access. The name Duidgee Park comes from the Aborigine word meaning 'Place of Plenty'' There are some established bush walks as well as an operating miniature railway.

    Related to:
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    The Pickling machine

    by keeweechic Updated Feb 22, 2006

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The Pickling machine cleaned the wheat of the 'trash' or impurities. Wheat was fed in at the top, the handled was rotated and an internal fan operated by the farmer blew away the lighter rubbish. Graduated grit trays were shaken which then separated large objects on the top tray which allowed the smaller objects to pass through to the 'sand tray'. The cleaned wheat was then separated out and removed to the conveyor which held cups which were attached to a chain or belt. It was then carried to be treated or 'pickled'. The term pickling came from the use of copper sulphate solution which was used to protect the grain against fungal disease and insects.

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    Newcastle King

    by keeweechic Updated Feb 22, 2006

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    After building his mill, he also acquired the Freemasons Hotel and farming properties known as 'Hawthornden' and 'Wicklow Hills'. He then subdivided 150 acres into town lots in what is now North Toodyay. If that wasn't enough, he then moved into buying in Perth and purchased the Savoy Hotel (The Shamrock Hotel) and land in Barrack, Hay, Murray, Irwin Sts and St Georges Tce as well as property in Fremantle, Subiaco, Nedlands and Wanneroo. Connor became the largest single landowner in the city at that time.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    St Stephens Church

    by keeweechic Written Feb 18, 2006

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The church was built in 1862 for Reverend Charles Harper. He had been given a grant of just 25 pounds in 1949 to build a church. The original church was mud brick and there was no external woodwork except for the shingle roof. The site of the first church is now marked by restored pioneer graves in Avon Terrace. In the churchyard there is a wooden bell tower and large Flood Gum Tree.

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    The Business Man

    by keeweechic Written Feb 18, 2006

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Dan Connor was also director of the Stanley Brewery (now known as Emu) and was also the found of the Port Brewery in Fremantle. He also served for a long time on the Road Board as well as holding position of Chairman for around 20 years.

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    Connors Cottage

    by keeweechic Written Feb 18, 2006

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Dan Connors cottage is just up behind the mill and store he built. A labourer from Ireland, Dan arrived in Western Australia in 1853 at the age of 26. In 1859 he married an Irish girl, Catherine Conway and bough 50 acres of land at Jane Brook. In 1861 he moved to Toodyay which at the time was known as Newcastle and built his store and house.

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    The Jager Building

    by keeweechic Written Feb 18, 2006

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    This building was originally an importer and merchandise store but since its construction in 1897 It has also been the Manchester Unity Independent Order of Oddfellows Hall. Today the Toodyay Newsagency, Toodyay Markets and the Toodyay Drapery & Craft; reside there.

    Related to:
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    Toodyay Miniature Railway

    by keeweechic Written Feb 18, 2006

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The miniature railway is found in Duidgee Park. The railway is of 7 ΒΌ inch gauge and has a run of about 1 km. Both diesel and steam locomotives are used for pulling the passenger car. The railway is open on the 2nd & 4th Sunday of each month, from Easter through to December as well as Public Holidays. During school holidays the train also runs on Wednesdays.

    Related to:
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    Newcastle Post & Telegraph Office

    by keeweechic Written Feb 18, 2006

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The old Toodyay Post Office and Residence was designed by George Temple Poole who designed several post offices around the turn of the century. This one as built in 1897 and is now listed on the State Register for an example of Public Works and Civic architecture.

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    Pelham Reserve

    by keeweechic Written Feb 15, 2006

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Signs from Toodyay town will show the way to the lookout which is around half a kilometer west of the town. The lookout is in Pelham Reserve, an area which marks the spot of old army tunnels, Spill Weir and Rifle Range. The James Drummond Memorial Nature Garden is also within the reserve. Drummond was the colony's first resident botanist and pioneer farmer in the Toodyay district. The water reservoir at the top was built in the 1940s.

    The lookout is not that high up but you can get a nice view over the Toodyay area. There are picnic areas and toilet facilities at the lookout point.

    Related to:
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    Toodyay Memorial Hall

    by keeweechic Written Feb 15, 2006

    3 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The start of the Memorial Hall was in 1899 but over the years several additions were made. The front of the building is the original and was the former road board office. The side entry foyer was added in 1990.

    Related to:
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Toodyay

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

19 travelers online now

Comments

Toodyay Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Toodyay things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Toodyay sightseeing.

View all Toodyay hotels