The towns memorial faces Anzac Avenue and is made up of a base of three tiers of rough hewn granite blocks. On top is a polished granite obelisk. Engraved on the front side is 'In Honour Of The Men Of This District Who Cheerfully Responded To The Call Of The Empire For Their Services During The Great War 1914 to 1919 For King And Country'.
The old firestation was formerly known as the Newcastle Fire Station after the towns original name. It was built prior to 1914 but demolished after 1938. This Fire Station was the replacement and designed as a single-bay inter-war stripped classical building, a bit of a mouthful but it is only one of two single bay stripped classical fire stations built during the Western Australian Fire Brigades Board 1930s building campaign. It still retains much of the authenticity.
The Old Courthouse was built in 1896 and opened by Sir John Forrest. Inside there is still the original Post Office switchboard. The building has been restored by the National Trust and the Court is still being used today as Court of Petty Sessions.
Butterly House was formerly known as Mongers House and is believed to be the oldest building in Toodyay. The house was built around 1870 and is an example of Flemish bond brickwork. The house acts as a living museum with collections of photographs and memorabilia of the early years of Toodyay.
Convicts in the early days were brought in to supply labour and during the period from 1850 to 1868 they were used primarily on the construction of public buildings, roads and bridges. Their arrival here then brought the need to be able to lock them up at the end of the day and so the gaol was built. Many of the original convicts were Aboriginals. The white walled cells all open out into the exercise yard and have only a small hole for ventilation. You will be able to see these plus a kitchen, constable's quarters, storeroom and exercise yard. Close to the Old Gaol are the Police Stables. These were built around 1890 to house the horses which were used by the towns mounted police.
From 1940 the condition of the building deteriorated and in 1962 the Toodyay Shire Council took over and restored the old Gaol. Today the Gaol is a historical museum which gives an insight into Toodyay's early settlers and their lifestyle. This old stone and shingled roof building replaced the original brick prison depot which was in Fiennes Street.
The old Newcastle Gaol was built in 1862 and is now a museum. Later the building became a hiring depot for convicts and eventually it was used as the local police station before being rented out as a private residence.
Opening times: Weekdays 10am to 3pm, weekends 10am - 4pm Small admission.
These two galvanised metal containers were used for melting wax.
Bee keepers were known to move around the countryside to make full use of the seasonabl flowering and pollen. A horse drawn spring car was used as transport. While out in the countryside, a camp bed was made up of two poles cut from the bush. Empty chaff bags were slipped over the poles and all was supported on two empty supers (parts of a hive).
This machine was used for manufacturing sheets for beehives. The sheets are made of was and shaped into a honeycomb texture effect. They are put into the hive to encourage the bees to fill them with honey. This roller was used to make blank wax sheets for the roller.
The wheat was thrown into the Scourer against the rough cast concrete liner which was impregnated with emery. The wheat is then stripped of its husks. The 'Smut Dust' which is the waste product, is very explosive in the atmosphere and because of this process, many flour mills caught fire.
The Brush Machine was a stage in the cleaning of the wheat. The 'Smut Dust' is as fine as flour and had to be removed before milling because it could not be separated from the flour once the milling had begun.
The big sieve or Centrifugal Dresser was used to mill the product by agitating it along a silk screen. The flour then falls to the 'worm' conveyor where it is taken to the bagging machine. Flat cups at t on the left side of the dresser carries out the remnant crushed wheat which is the pollard and the bran. This was sold back to farmers for feed for chickens and pigs. The bran is now used in a variety of breakfast cereals.
Local farmers would deliver their wheat to Connor's Mill. It was then hoisted up to the top floor and fed by the miller into the seed cleaner. There were four cleaning stages the separator went through: removing chaff etc by passing through an air blower, removing leaves, sticks and straw through the large grid screen. The grid selected the wheat grain from the chaff as well as the Lupins and other large foreign seeds. The final grid removed the smaller impurities. This was referred to as the 'sand tray'
Life above a mill was certainly noisy with the continuous hum of machines and smell of engine fumes. The only plus side would have been the warmth from the big steam engines during the winter months but I can only imagine the stifling heat during the summer. It seems that on really hot days, his wife would drape a bed sheet over the kitchen table and trickle water over it to create a large 'Coolgardie Safe'. Then she would put the little ones there to keep cool.
Above the mill was the Connor accommodation. In those times it was common for people to live close to or even within their place of work. In late 1925 the mill engineer set up home in the mill with his young wife and twins.