The two storey block of shops and offices was constructed in 1905 by the Piesse Brothers. It was bought a year later by Jack Butterick. At the time the building contained a newspaper, butcher shop, mens clothing shop, Brandenberg’s clothing store and offices. The Butterick family were well known in Wagin.more
The main street is lined with a newspaper office, general store and blacksmith’s, a one room school, features a bank, a one-room school, a stone kiosk and some settler’s cottages. There is also a bush shearing shed and a shepherds camp. You can tour yourself or take a group tour which has a pioneer lunchmore
The Historical Village has gone to a lot of trouble to depict a settlement as it was 100 years ago. The buildings have original equipment, furnishings and memorabilia from the area. The are always expanding and hope to become a town in their own right. They are open from 10.00am – 4.00pm 7 days.more
The historical village was started by a group of enthusiasts in 1978 in the grounds of the Wagin showgrounds. They initially collected old farm machinery and implements and went on to collect wagons, sulkies and finally buildings from around the area. Today the village is the largest social history museum in WA and is Wagin’s biggest tourist...more
St George’s was the first church to be built in Wagin in 1902. Prior to this, all services had been conducted in local homes. The land was donated by Frederick Piesse and the raw materials were gathered from surrounding farms. Oil lamps lit the church until1907 when the installation of an acetylene gas plant enabled the use of gas lamps. In 1914...more
The Wagin railway stop was originally named Wagin Lake and it was part of the Great Southern Railway line which was completed and opened in 1889. The Duke and Duchess of York paid a visit to the town in 1889 and made a point of greeting all the school children and teachers. The old weatherboard buildings were later moved to Dumbleyung Rd where the...more
The Town Hall was built in 1896 as an agricultural hall. From 1909 to 1980 it was the seat of regional government and housed the Municipal Council and the Wagin Roads Board. Later on these two office combined to become the Wagin Shire Council. The building described as having a Inter-war Free Classical style has been listed on the Register of...more
Built in 1912, the hall was used for church meetings and entertainment. Many local events were held here such as school and community concerts, some featuring the Wagin town band and also celebrations at the end of World War I. St Georges Hall is part of the Heritage Trail Walk.more
Wagin’s Giant Ram is quite an icon in the town. It stands at 9 metres tall and weighs 4 tonnes. Built of steel and fiberglass, it was erected in 1985 to acknowledge the success the wool industry brought to the town. Wagin is the centre of a wool growing industry. The ram is the second largest in the southern hemisphere.more
One of the towns major attractions is the Giant Ram which was built in Wagin in 1985. Thousands of tourists visit the ram throughout the year which is located in the Wetlands Park.The Giant Ram built of steel and fibreglass and it is 9 metres high, 13 metres long, 6 metres wide and weighs 4 tonnes.more
Wagin is around 228 kms south east of Perth. Driving to Wagin from Perth is via the Albany Hwy to Arthur River then east towards Wagin.
Transwa have coaches operating from perth on a regular basis.
During spring and summer you can witness a profusion of wildflowers in the Wetlands Park of Wagin.
Their colourful annual display begins about August and continues to December.