Avon Tce is the main street through York township. It was designed and built between 1880 and 1910 and featured shady trees lining the pavements. The buildings had ornamental parapets of stucco and most displayed the names of their original owners. The blacksmiths, wheelwrights, coachbuilders, saddlers and suppliers of paint have since left the scene and over the years have been replaced by more modern retailers.
Bygraves Cottage and Cobblers Shop
Samuel Bygraves built this house in the 1880’s although to look at the steep pitched roof and the detached veranda, it looks more like a design from the 1950’s. The house is at the beginning of Avon Tce where the Great Southern Hwy starts.
Holy Trinity Church
The Holy Trinity Church sits on the east bank of the Avon River where it was built in 1854 on a grant of Crown land for parish purposes. The interior is admired for its beautiful stained glass windows and the original high alter and Wasingham shrine. The church also contains a rare Albert Piesse pipe organ with eight bells. The bells were specially cast for York, and are hung in a restored towers.
Balladong Farm is a genuine living museum and the only working museum in Australia. The farm still operates with traditional methods and skills. First established as a farm in 1831, it was later sold and in 1848 convicts came to work on the farm. They were responsible for the building of the Shearing Shed, Granary, Stables and Bridge House. Visitors can see sheep being blade shorn, crutched and drenched, a hand operated wool press, a granary with pit sawn timbers and shingled roof as well as cows being hand milked, a forge where traditional blacksmithing methods are still being use and the complete process of wheat growing. There are various displays and a wide range of animals on the farm including old Clydesdales. The farm was purchased by the National Trust in 1974 and is in the Blandstown area of York
Within the old sandalwood yards and storage area is the re-erected Tipperary School. The old school was built in 1874 on the property of ‘Tipperary”. It was gifted to the York Society and rebuilt at the yards. On the property is also the York Society which holds annual Photographic Awards.
First Church and Pioneer Cemetery
On the corner of Avon Tce and Balladong Street is the site of the original mud church of St John the Evangelist which was consecrated in 1848. Today a large wooden cross marks the spot but there are still a number of graves, some marked with the headstones of the early pioneers.
Now the York and District Co-operative Ltd. This building started off as a large shop with the Edwards family residing above. It was built in 1872 by William Edwards who was from a local farming family. In 1894 his son Charles added a ornate stucco frontage with aboriginal motifs.
St Patrick's Church
This is one of the more architecturally significant buildings in York The Church was designed by Reverend Patrick Gibney and built in a Gothic revival style using local stone. The foundation stone was laid on St Patricks day in 1875 and the building was completed in 1886. The windows were imported from Italy. The original Catholic Church began in 1859 and was dedicated to St. Patrick in 1860. It still stands today and is now used as the church hall. During the 1968 earthquake the church was severely damaged and it took almost 20 years for the restoration to be completed.
The Residency Museum is one of the oldest colonial houses in York. It was built between 1842 and 1859 as a home for the Deputy Superintendent. There is a separate servants wing to the rear and a large room to the east which were added later in 1877. During the early 1900’s the building was also used as an annex to the hospital next door.
In 1972 the building became the York Municipal Museum and houses a collection of historic artefacts which are connected with the history of York. The Residency Museum was the first country museum in the state to be recognised by the Museum of Western Australia.
Open Tues, Wed, Thurs 1.00pm – 3.00pm, Sat, Sun and Public Holidays 11.00am - 3.30pm.
Old York Hospital
The old York hospital stands next to the Residency Museum. It was built between 1894-95 and was designed to accommodate the many prospectors from the goldfields who were falling sick or being injured. Not your typical looking hospital of that time, the architect deliberately wanted the building to have more of a domestic touch with the mock Tudor gables and upper verandah, making it look more like a grand old home. The hospital ceased to operate in 1963 and in 1976 the National Trust bought the buildings and restored them. Over the following 20 years the building was used by the YHA only to be sold again in 1998 to a private party.
The Old Sargents Pharmacy
Bolitho Sargent established his pharmacy in 1885 and built his shop in 1904. Today the building houses a gift and book shop called Galileo. They sell an assortment of music, objects d’art, books and gifts. The are open 7 days.
The Uniting Church
The gothic styled Uniting Church was built in 1888 at a cost of 945 pounds. It was not the first Methodist church in York. The first chapel was built in brick by Smithies in 1852. This is now the church hall. The church had a Monk organ which was purchased in 1895 and was hand pumped until 1929 when an electric blower was installed.
Laurelville is a delightful 1896 historical Edwardian manor on the side of Mt Brown. The house was extended in 1917 by the Marwick family sold the property in 1997.
The manor has delighfully landscaped gardens with statues and operates as a B & B.
This grand old colonial mansion was the original Home of the Monger Family of York. Their house started as a two-roomed house cut into the side of the hill, it was later replaced by a two storey house in local stone. When the family grew, two cross wings in stone were added. In 1909 a brick kitchen wing with servants quarters above it were added. During the second world war in 1939 the house was loaned to the Red Cross and used as a convalescent home for servicemen. After the war it was bought by the Uniting Church and used as a conference and recreational centre. In the 1990’s the mansion was restored and is now a B & B with courtyard rooms and fine dining.. Faversham House is heritage listed.
Station Masters Residence
The York Railway Station comprises also has a three bedroom station masters residence, and ticket office, parcel room and waiting rooms.
The old station also advertises a tea garden and small museum but it was all closed up on the Sunday I was there. Open weekends 11am - 4pm.
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates
- Plenty of choices
- Agoda.com Save up to 75%, Don't miss! Live support, Instant confirmation.