York Things to Do

  • Things to Do
    by stevemt
  • Salmon Flan   :)
    Salmon Flan :)
    by stevemt
  • THE LOVELY PRESENTED YORK TOWN HALL BUILDING
    THE LOVELY PRESENTED YORK TOWN HALL...
    by DennyP

Best Rated Things to Do in York

  • al2401's Profile Photo

    York Mill

    by al2401 Written Oct 25, 2013

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The old flour mill is an impressive landmark as you enter the town of York. It was built in 1892 and was the main source of employment in the town for many years. It is now the home to a variety of businesses including an Art Gallery, Timber Art and Furnishings, a Gift Shop and a Cafe. The facade of the mill is in good condition.

    York Mill York Mill York Mill Timber Furniture - York Mill
    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture
    • Historical Travel
    • Photography

    Was this review helpful?

  • al2401's Profile Photo

    Wander back in time.

    by al2401 Written Oct 25, 2013

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    For someone just passing through York is a great place to stop for lunch and a wander through the town. It is well known for its impressive buildings constructed from the 1880's to the early 1900's

    As well as these there are some quirky and unusual things to see on the main street.

    Iron lace work - Imperial Hotel York Town Hall York main street St Joseph's Church - York
    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Photography
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • al2401's Profile Photo

    Saint's Diner

    by al2401 Written Oct 25, 2013

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    You don't need to eat here to visit Saint's Motorcycle Cafe. There are not many Motorcycle cafes in Australia but Saint's in York is very popular. A Motorcycle Cafe is not just popular with motorcyclists - it tends to have a motorcycle theme and decor. Saint's has some really lovely lead-light glass panels with motorcycles.

    Saint's Diner is fully licenced.

    Unfortunately it was not open when I visited York.

    Saint's Diner - York Saint's Diner - York Saint's Diner - York Saint's Diner - York
    Related to:
    • Photography
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    Police Lock-Up

    by keeweechic Written Apr 24, 2005

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Initially York was patrolled by the military but in the 1840’s those duties were taken over by a small police force. A police house, court house plus lock-up and stables were built beside the military barracks. When the convict depot was established in York in 1851, it all became a bit much for the 3 man constabulary and new buildings and additions were constructed.

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    The Display Areas

    by keeweechic Written Apr 24, 2005

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The exhibition area is made up of three main display halls and there is a further display area in the courtyard. Each area has its own theme which relates to the different motoring eras with a featured exhibit each month.

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    The Post Office

    by keeweechic Written Apr 24, 2005

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The old post office sits next to the Old Gaol and Court House. It was built in 1893. Up until 1866 there had been no official post office although after 1841, there was a regular mail service operating between Guilford and York. From 1904 to 1981 a manually operated telephone exchange was also housed in the post office. On top of the building is a weather vane from Solomon Cook’s flour mill.

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    Gaol, Court House and Police Station

    by keeweechic Written Apr 24, 2005

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    This complex is made up of a court house which was built in 1895 and other buildings which date back to the 1840’s which include two courtrooms, police station and troopers cottage. These buildings have been restored and are now leased by the National Trust. The complex is open to the public 10.00am – 4.00pm 7 days.

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    York Motor Museum

    by keeweechic Written Apr 24, 2005

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The building that houses the York Motor Museum was previously a motor garage and showroom of the oldest Ford Dealership in Western Australia. The front doors were made from imported Cedar and were rescued from the old Perpetual Trustees building which once stood on the corner of St Georges Tce and Howard St in Perth.

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    The Displays

    by keeweechic Written Apr 24, 2005

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The Museum was established in 1979 and houses more than 200 veteran, vintage and classic cars, motorcycles and horse drawn vehicles. This is one reported to be one of the finest collections in Australia. Some of the cars on display – RR Silver Ghost, Isotta Franschini, 1923 Alfa Romeo, Lancia Lambda, AC Cobra 427, 1906 Cadillac, Clement Tourer, Aston Martin, Bugatti Type 23 just to name but a few.

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    Old Bank Building

    by keeweechic Written Apr 24, 2005

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    This was the building of the Western Australian Bank which was founded in 1841. For about 40 years, it was the only bank in Western Australia. This branch of the bank was established here in 1889 and the manager lived above the bank in private accommodation. The bank amalgamated with the Bank of New South Wales in 1927 and in turn merged with the Colonial Bank of Australasia in 1982 which then became Westpac Banking Corporation. Westpac then merged with Challenge Bank in 1996 but the sign still displayed is the Westpac.

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    York Railway Station

    by keeweechic Written Apr 25, 2005

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The old York Railway Station was built in 1885 when the line from Fremantle reached York. The station is unusual because it is two-storeys. In 1889 the rail line from Albany also reached York and continued on to Northam in 1886 and on to Toodyay in 1888. The major route through to Southern Cross was completed in 1894

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    Station Masters Residence

    by keeweechic Written Apr 25, 2005

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The York Railway Station comprises also has a three bedroom station masters residence, and ticket office, parcel room and waiting rooms.

    The old station also advertises a tea garden and small museum but it was all closed up on the Sunday I was there. Open weekends 11am - 4pm.

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    Faversham House

    by keeweechic Written Apr 25, 2005

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    This grand old colonial mansion was the original Home of the Monger Family of York. Their house started as a two-roomed house cut into the side of the hill, it was later replaced by a two storey house in local stone. When the family grew, two cross wings in stone were added. In 1909 a brick kitchen wing with servants quarters above it were added. During the second world war in 1939 the house was loaned to the Red Cross and used as a convalescent home for servicemen. After the war it was bought by the Uniting Church and used as a conference and recreational centre. In the 1990’s the mansion was restored and is now a B & B with courtyard rooms and fine dining.. Faversham House is heritage listed.

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    St Patrick's Church

    by keeweechic Written Apr 25, 2005

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    This is one of the more architecturally significant buildings in York The Church was designed by Reverend Patrick Gibney and built in a Gothic revival style using local stone. The foundation stone was laid on St Patricks day in 1875 and the building was completed in 1886. The windows were imported from Italy. The original Catholic Church began in 1859 and was dedicated to St. Patrick in 1860. It still stands today and is now used as the church hall. During the 1968 earthquake the church was severely damaged and it took almost 20 years for the restoration to be completed.

    Was this review helpful?

  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

    Old Fire Station

    by keeweechic Written Apr 24, 2005

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Originally the building belonged to the York Municipal Council who built these chambers in 1897. The building was later sold to the York Volunteer Fire Brigade in 1911 after the opening of the Town Hall. When the new fire station was built, this old building became a community centre owned by the Shire.

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: York

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

23 travelers online now

Comments

York Things to Do

Reviews and photos of York things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for York sightseeing.

View all York hotels