Safety Tips in Cook Islands

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Cook Islands

• catalysta's Profile Photo

Tropical Storm Warning!

by catalysta Written Aug 3, 2004

The sudden violence of a tropical storm is something that amazes me with its power & intensity.
    But be aware that the roads can quickly become rivers. If you are out on your scooter, best to just pull over, no matter how drenched you get, and wait it out. After all, it's not as if you will get very cold when wet, it's still 70-80 degrees Fahrenheit!

I saw several scooter accident victims around the resort...

• bijo69's Profile Photo

Cyclones

by bijo69 Written Aug 23, 2004

My visit to the Cooks started with three days of constant rain and strong winds.... But I was lucky, cyclone "Heta" just caused minor damage on Rarotonga (it devastated the island of Niue though). -January 2004
    Cyclone season is from November to March. For more info on tropical storms, have a look at the website below.

• catalysta's Profile Photo

For Us North Americans

by catalysta Updated Jan 23, 2004

That darned roundabout in Avarua about killed me on the scooter! Remember, you'll be driving on the left, and the moment you relax and think you're getting the hang of it, that's when you are in the most danger of screwing up.
    Also, don't be in a hurry. Tourists on scooters wipe out all the time, especially Americans & Canadians, since we're used to the other side of the road.

• Diving and Snorkeling

• worldkiwi's Profile Photo

Take a break on Sundays!

by worldkiwi Written Oct 8, 2005

Don't plan to do much on Sundays in the Cook Islands. Just about everything closes down on this day. On Rarotonga there are a few local stores that open in the afternoon. Finding a restaurant that's open on a Sunday night on Aitutaki is difficult and all the shops are shut all day.

Ciguatera

by easterntrekker Updated Apr 4, 2011

Ciguatera fish poisoning is endemic wherever coral reef fishes are a food source. There is a warning posted on Muri beach describing the condition.and there have been reported cases every year .The toxin is not affected by either cooking or freezing, and the affected fish, cooked or raw, is not tainted by bacteria in any way.

Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, cramping, abdominal pain, and diarrheaand then intense itching, joint and muscle pain and tingling of the lips.

There is a list of the types of fish to avoid on the attached web site.

• Seniors

• tna's Profile Photo

Dangerous Fish Poisoning - Ciguatera

by tna Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is something we really *WISH* we had known before going to the Cook Islands. Ciguatera, a type of fish poisoning, is epidemic there. It is carried by coral fish (originating from algae). You do not find coral fish in restaurants for this reason. Deep water fish are supposed to be safe, but our neighbour caught a Trivalli fish – which eats the toxic coral fish. Of course, we didn't know any of this when we cooked up the feast. That night, we all woke up with symptoms of bad food poisoning. By the morning we realised there was more to it than that.

Some guide books do mention Ciguatera but without going into detail, they make it appear to be a normal 24-48hr type of food poisoning. In reality, it is a long-term disease of the nervous system that effects your joints and your sense of hot and cold. We spent the rest of our holiday in sweaters and couldn't go in the gorgeous tropical waters because it would burn our skin (the sensation is like when you've been out in the snow and then you run your freezing hands under hot water...it is a burning, pins-and-needles sensation).

There can be a 1 in 10 fatality rate and if that is not all enough, you cannot eat any marine life for anything from 4 to 12 months after getting sick. This is because the toxin stays in your nervous system long after the worst of the symptoms are gone, and the toxin will attach itself to the special proteins found in aquatic life and you’ll get sicker. So this meant no shellfish, no fish-and-chips, no canned tuna, no anything like that for us for 6 months. There is no cure.

Apologies for all the detail, but it really is important to appreciate that it is much much more than just a simple fish or food poisoning problem. We wish that we'd known this before we went. The moral of the story is stay away from eating ANY fish in the Cook Islands, except for tuna.

Take care when snorkeling

by easterntrekker Written Dec 13, 2006

Make sure you wear reef shoes when walking on the beach or even snorkeling ( if you don't have fins) . The coral is so sharp!! The water in the lagoon is quite shallow so you end up standing up lots . We found the reef shoes helped alot!

• Diving and Snorkeling

Watch your head

by easterntrekker Written Dec 13, 2006

No one wears a helmet when driving a motor bike . It's alarming to see the tourists ...many who have never driven a bike before and driving on the left side ....for the first time...feeling secure to whiz along on a bike with no helmet... We saw a couple of spills that looked pretty bad....might be better to take a bus!

• Singles

Have a reservation

by easterntrekker Written Dec 14, 2006

When we were flying from New Zealand we had to show proof of our hotel reservation for the Cook Islands before they could give us a boarding pass! I guess they had problems with people camping out on the beach. I was happy I actually had the written confirmation with me.

• bijo69's Profile Photo

Water pollution in the lagoon near Titikaveka

by bijo69 Written May 17, 2004

While I was on Rarotonga there was a problem with the water quality in the lagoon near Titikaveka. Apparently some contaminated soil got washed into the lagoon and caused skin irritations.

Ask locals before going for a swim there.

• Scooters

by rehabber Updated Jan 1, 2005

Scooters are the most common transportation in the Islands, and it's fun. I would only caution to watch out for the Raro dogs that may step out into the road and not drive late at night. Reading the Cook Island News over the past year, there has been a fair amount of drunk driving accidents. If out at night be alert and cautious.

• Dont forget your tickets

by BENSDAD Written May 3, 2007

We flew in to Rarotonga for our wedding,after staying with my brother in Auckland.After a fantastic week we arrived at the airport to be asked for our return tickets to the UK,We explained that the tickets where back in Auckland.WHOOPS!!!!
    Make sure you take all documents when you do a sideways trip otherwise its a big big hole in your credit card.
    Cook Islands FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!

• Lonecougar's Profile Photo

DRIVING: Driving is on the...

by Lonecougar Written Aug 25, 2002

DRIVING: Driving is on the left hand side of the road. This may be difficult to someone who is used to driving on the right side. There are no traffic lights, no stop signs. Watch out for' wild' dogs they can jump in front of you, While I was there, a older couple from Australia were sevelry injured when they swerved to avoid hitting 3 dogs. They were thrown from their scooter and had to be taken back to Australia by 2 doctors who had been sent out to pick them up. THIS PICTURE: Taken at The Fruits Beach
    SWIMMING OR SNORKELING: Stay away from what are known as Passages. These are openings in the reef that allow access to the ocean. The water is very turbulent around this area and the ocean floor drops off to 12,000 ft all the way around the Island. And who knows what is swimming out there.

• littlebush's Profile Photo

The only danger i can think of...

by littlebush Written Aug 24, 2002

The only danger i can think of is that you will love this place so much that you will not want to leave and in fact you probably wont leave and you'll cause an international search for your safety when all along you'll be sitting there on the beach with a cocktail and a suntan!....shame!
    A word of warning about Internet - things may have changed since i was there but Internet access is very expensive so if youre somewhere cheap before heading to the Cooks, do all your emailing before you get there,although once youre there, you'll be desperate to email everyone and tell them how great it is! The Post Office in Avarua was the cheapest place i found.
    Another word of warning : When on Aitutaki, in fact, when on any of the islands....as in most tropical places, BEWARE OF FALLING COCONUTS!!!!!...more people die each year by falling coconuts than by shark attacks!!! you've been warned!
    Picture : Wigmore's Waterfall on Rarotonga

• honurox's Profile Photo

Beer, No street lights, and a pig

by honurox Written Feb 15, 2005

I think it was Atututaki, and a dark night...a few to many beers. I started walling back to my hotel, but being late (and no street lights) there were no lights. I just kept walking, I must of walked around the island twice before I realized that I that I kept walk by my place. Any way, I woke up on the beach, under a tree with a pig (but I woun't talk to much more about that)

Cook Islands Hotels

Amuri Hotels
Mangaia Hotels
Avarua Hotels

Instant Answers: Cook Islands

Comments

Cook Islands Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Cook Islands warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cook Islands sightseeing.
Map of Cook Islands