Suva Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Suva

• SUVA FIJI TRAVELLERS BEWARE VICE ACTIVITIES

by tantaifong Written Oct 6, 2011

Dear Travellers,

Suva is no longer the once innocent island in paradise, the place is now "polluted" with too many mainland chinese prostitutes along Victoria Parade, in my last visit there just a couple of months ago all along Victoria Parade you have mainland chinese prostitutes coming into nightclubs run by the chinese there such Angel Club and Signal Club and some of these ladies hang out around those cafe/chinese restaurants adjacent to these clubs...and the appearance street walkers offering sexual services/massage to anyone passing by is a nuisance and a disgrace on a street named after an Empress of the British Empire...in fact a few of them even have the nerve to have pre-printed cards with their mobile numbers on them...don't believed try calling these numbers 8353365, 8426676 and 9027770...and their so called agent at 8667874

This is a far cry from my last stay in Suva Fiji where things along Victoria Parade was never "out of line" and things if there are anything inappropriate are never that loud...I wondered what is happening to the Police and the authorities in Fiji...are they BLIND?

• Reviled's Profile Photo

Dont be too friendly

by Reviled Written Aug 21, 2007

Everyone will seem really friendly at first, they will be offering to shake your hand, they will ask you what your name is! Please be very carefull, as it is very common that people will grip onto your hand like it is the first piece of food they have had in months, then try to drag you into their shops saying things like "Today only, special's just for you." Never give anyone your name, most people just ask your name so that they can carve it into something so you feel obliged to buy it! I had about three people try this.

Admittedly, I did go to Fiji on a cruise ship, which most likely made us more of a target for things like this, but I have also heard similair story's from others.

You also need to be aware that people will try to beg you for money or to ask you for food, the poverty in Suva really is shocking, and im sure that the recent coup they had did not help things.

• tna's Profile Photo

Grabby Fijian Men

by tna Written Jun 2, 2005

My husband and I were walking hand-in-hand one evening to the movie theatre in Suva (around 8pm). We walked past a group of Fijian men and one of them moved out and blocked my way, as I moved to get around him he grabbed all over me in a very violating way. And bear in mind my hand was still attached to my husband's!! It all happened so quickly, my husband and I were both in shock. My immediate response was to swear at the Fijian guy and flick him off. We kept on walking, and it was only after a minute or so that the 'vulnerableness' and 'violation' feeling sunk in. I could never look at a Fijian man the same way for the rest of the trip. So do watch out. It clearly doesn't make a difference if you're a woman walking alone or with a 6.5 foot tall husband.

Instant Answers: Suva

• Jan 15, 2014 at 4:01 AM

Born in Suva and moved to Melbourne over 20 years ago, have been back a number of times in the last couple of years. Having been to Thailand it slowly started to sink in that Suva is slowly turning into one of those "party style" holiday destinations.
    Being Indian I can blend in with the crowd, although your dress code can n will make you stand out.
    The people are still friendly and helpful, you just need to be able to "pickem".
    Everybody needs a helping hand from time to time, yet there is a line and some of these guys don't have a care in the world about crossing that line.
    Bottom line; I'd still recommend Fiji as a holiday destination with the advice of; Don't judge a book by its cover and having street smarts won't hurt ;)
    ENJOY YOUR STAY BULA VI NAKA ;)

Suva Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Suva warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Suva sightseeing.