Related Fiji Favorites Tips

by globetrott
  • Favorites
    by globetrott

Most Viewed Favorites in Fiji

• not all blue skies, sun and sand

by dragoneer Written Jul 12, 2008

Favorite thing: Have recently spent some days in Fiji; not being a sun and sand person only overnighted in Nadi and spent the rest of the time in Suva. Stayed at Nomads Skylodge on the way in - nice staff, very basic accommodation, expensive food, full of VERY young backpackers. Tokatoka on the way back - best waterslide in the country!
    Suva is experiencing a big building expansion and a hideous 10 storey building is going up on the old Tappoo's site (for a new Tappoos) This will overshadow the wonderful markets and the historical old buildings nearby. Stayed at Capricorn Apartments, comfortable, very reasonable priced and only 2 minutes from downtown. Economy is still unstable because of the coups and most accommodation is only half full so good rates can be negotiated.
    To buy cheap real gold jewellery, Cummings St is the place to look (haggle!!) If you want to experience a bit of colonial Fiji, head for the Fiji Club (someone will sign you in) - fantastic billiards table and great pool. For breakfast you cant go past Palm Court (near ANZ bank). Vegetarians should head for Hare Krishna restaurant (near Police Station)
    To hear fantastic singing go to the Fijian catholic church next to Stella Maris school on the seafront.

Fondest memory: The climate is fantastic at any time except maybe February and March when its very very hot and humid.
    Coming from winter in drought ridden south western NSW in Australia, I didnt mind that it drizzled most days - it was 25 degrees and wonderful.

• Fiji surf

by tropixman Written Apr 6, 2008

Favorite thing: I surfed all over Fiji a few years back and am going back next week. There are some great places to surf and surf camps everywhere. If you are roughing it, there is an island off of Frigates Passage (forget the name of it) for about $25 a night but it is seriously roughing it. Also, check out Hideaway Hotel (trips to Nomotu and Wilkes). I stayed at Waidroka too, but the guys that owned that place, were from the cornbelt and didn't know jack about surfing, but the Mini-Pipe was like a smaller version of Teahupoo.

I met some Australians, Kiwis and even some Isrealis and split costs with my new friends wereever we went. Easy to do and more fun, with more people.

Wishing you the best. Maybe I'll see you in the lineup.

Tropixman

• AusPinay's Profile Photo

FAB FIJI, but beware...

by AusPinay Updated Mar 18, 2008

Favorite thing: The landscape is awesome in Fiji! We had a fun time as the waters at the beach or pool are always perfect, not too warm nor too cold!

However, beware of getting too much sun! I still had brown specks on my face, despite the sun screen I used there, spf 30 mind you! The water was so nice you tend to forget the heat and then it burns after, oh dear!!

Another thing to beware of is your valuables. My kids' GAME BOY advance console was "stolen" in one of our hotel rooms! We didn't report/complain as we were hoping it was just tucked in one of our luggages and we didn't have enough time to look for it. We were very sure we left it inside the room before going to our cruise! So make sure you secure your valuables or don;t bring them though that would be hard for those with kids!

If staying in posh hotels like we did, make sure you know what type of accommodation you originally booked.
    IN your excitement arriving in a hotel, you will certainly be happy getting checked in even early.

However, it happened to us and I noticed the room was too small for us. I remember booking a family room with a separate room for the kids with their own PS2 and tv even but the one we first had was different and had only a sofa bed! So after disobeying my hubby I decided to inquire and true enough, it was not the one I paid for so they gave us the right one in the end.

Btw, the game boy was lost in the other smaller hotel near Nadi called Capricorn International Hotel, don't go there he water is murky as well from the taps!

Fondest memory: The quiet and serene islands, with white sand and blue crystal waters, plus the lovely fauna! The pool/spa at Sofitel weren't so bad either!

boating around the Island at the water slide at Sofitel just relaxing outside our hotel suite clear calm waters and powdery sands inspire on board the tall ship
    • Beaches
    • Spa and Resort

• Security Issues in FIJI

by Johnsinho Written Nov 17, 2006

Favorite thing: For the info of other members I'm listing an extract from the British Government
    which me be of interest to some members :-

'We advise against all but essential travel to Suva because of tensions in the
    relationship between the Government of Fiji and the Republic of Fiji Military
    Forces. The Fiji Military Commander has issued an ultimatum demanding that the
    Government resigns during November. On 1 November, the Prime Minister made it
    clear he would not resign. The Fiji Military Commander is now in Suva following
    his return from an overseas tour. The security situation in Suva could therefore
    deteriorate at short notice.
    You should also exercise caution if travelling to the rest of Fiji, particularly
    in urban areas. You should check with your tour operator before travelling. You
    should avoid all military or political rallies and large gatherings of people
    and keep yourself informed of developments. The British High Commission in Fiji
    is monitoring events closely.'

Hope this helps.

• TracyG's Profile Photo

Island hop!

by TracyG Updated Jun 14, 2005

Favorite thing: Spend one day island hopping. There are some beautiful spots and there is hardly ever a problem in finding a bit of sand to yourself, pure bliss...

Fondest memory: Whilst diving off Beachcomber Island, seeing 3 sharks grouped together, unfortunately they got away before I could take a photo!

Fijian beach

• AcornMan's Profile Photo

Fiji Bitter - The local beer

by AcornMan Written May 11, 2004

Favorite thing: One of my favorite things about traveling is trying the local food and drinks. And although the food on Fiji was nothing particularly unique or memorable, I did enjoy the local brew, Fiji Bitter. It is classified as a pale lager and tasted pretty good.

• galy's Profile Photo

Nadi in VitiLevu Island

by galy Updated Sep 13, 2003

Favorite thing: Nadi in Viti Levu Island is a good place to organize your travels around the Viti Levu Island. There is a plethora of tourist services from dirt-cheap accommodation and places to eat to luxury resorts. There's a high proportion of Fiji Indians in Nadi, mostly fourth-generation descendants of the indentured laborers brought to Fiji to work in the cane fields

Fondest memory: Malamala Island

our Malamala tribe

Fiji starches

by bjmd22 Written Aug 11, 2003

Favorite thing: If you goto Fiji and want to try the local food you will likley try several of the root crops. The most abundant are the Taro or Dalo roots, and Kasava. Both have the consistancy of a dry overcooked potatoe. If you are lucky you will get to try the Wild Yams that grom in the forrest.

dalo

International Dateline

by bjmd22 Written Aug 11, 2003

Favorite thing: The International Dateline passes through Taveuni. There is a marker not to far from SomoSomo. If you are passing through it might be interesting, but not worth a trip from the other side of the island.

• bjmd22's Profile Photo

Confirm and then reconfirm reservations

by bjmd22 Written Aug 11, 2003

Favorite thing: If you want to make sure that you are booked into a hotel, or for transport it is best to confirm the reservation a couple times. You should also confirm them once you arrive in Fiji from a phone, which is much more reliable than a email conformation.

• worldkiwi's Profile Photo

Stunning beaches on a classical tropical island.

by worldkiwi Written Jun 22, 2003

Fondest memory: When I was 15, way back in 1988, I spent a day on Mana Island with my family. We travelled out on a ferry and swam for most of the day! Mana Island is a resort in the western islands off Viti Levu's coast. You can get there from Nadi and Lautoka. I came across some photos the other day that reminded me of that sunny day, so thought I might share them...

A photo I took in 1988 on Mana Island.
    • Beaches

• Yohaho's Profile Photo

Spend at least a few days on...

by Yohaho Updated Mar 7, 2003

Favorite thing: Spend at least a few days on the offshore islands. There are many small islands surrounding the two big islands: Viti Levu and Vanua Levu. My friend told me the Yasawa group is nice. But if you don't want to go too far, there are some island resorts near Nadi, it only took me half an hour by boat to get there. Another thing you must do is to visit Fijian village. Some villages on highland where people still live in bures.

Fondest memory: The people, abosulte the people. My trip gave me lot of chance to interact with the people. Fijian are also curious and eager to learn about other cultures. Fijian are the most friendly people I have ever met. The great hospitality and their lovely smiles definitely made my trip a memorable one.

• Jez79's Profile Photo

Visit a Fijian church

by Jez79 Updated Feb 28, 2003

Favorite thing: Visit a Fijian church. We went to a church and sat on the matted floor with the locals. It was a fantastic experience and we met a lot of people, from whom we were able to learn a lot about the country. We even got an invite back to a village, where we had kava and an amazing meal with some people we met. That was possibly the most rewarding experience we had.

Fondest memory: The friendliness of the people. Almost everyone we met in Fiji greeted us with a smile and it was common for locals to come up and chat to us as we walked along the road. We met some amazing people and learned a lot about Fiji from just chatting to people we met along the way. I've never been anywhere where the people are all so consistently nice and happy.

Fijian children on Ovalau

• TashieKitten's Profile Photo

Departure Tax

by TashieKitten Written Jan 31, 2003

Favorite thing: You have to pay $20 Fijian departure tax. You can pay cash or use Visa and possibly Mastercard. It's good to use credit at the airport and save your cash for bargaining at the market.

Fondest memory: I miss the floral smell in the air at the orchid gardens.

• Time does not count here. Make...

by canuckcj Written Sep 7, 2002

Favorite thing: Time does not count here. Make sure you prepare yourselves with plenty of time before departing on the local transportation. The buses can get there whenever they want be it super early or super late. Eat where the locals eat. You might have problems communicating with them, but the food is better.

Fondest memory: Probably travelling on the bus, well worn I might add, with about 30 school kids, with springs in our butts.

Fiji Hotels

Nanuya Island Hotels
1 Hotel
Namotu Island Hotels

Instant Answers: Fiji

Comments

Fiji Favorites

Reviews and photos of Fiji favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Fiji sightseeing.
Map of Fiji