Related Fiji Favorites Tips

• Favorites
    by globetrott

Most Viewed Favorites in Fiji

• bjmd22's Profile Photo

Confirm and then reconfirm reservations

by bjmd22 Written Aug 11, 2003

Favorite thing: If you want to make sure that you are booked into a hotel, or for transport it is best to confirm the reservation a couple times. You should also confirm them once you arrive in Fiji from a phone, which is much more reliable than a email conformation.

• AusPinay's Profile Photo

FAB FIJI, but beware...

by AusPinay Updated Mar 18, 2008

Favorite thing: The landscape is awesome in Fiji! We had a fun time as the waters at the beach or pool are always perfect, not too warm nor too cold!

However, beware of getting too much sun! I still had brown specks on my face, despite the sun screen I used there, spf 30 mind you! The water was so nice you tend to forget the heat and then it burns after, oh dear!!

Another thing to beware of is your valuables. My kids' GAME BOY advance console was "stolen" in one of our hotel rooms! We didn't report/complain as we were hoping it was just tucked in one of our luggages and we didn't have enough time to look for it. We were very sure we left it inside the room before going to our cruise! So make sure you secure your valuables or don;t bring them though that would be hard for those with kids!

If staying in posh hotels like we did, make sure you know what type of accommodation you originally booked.
    IN your excitement arriving in a hotel, you will certainly be happy getting checked in even early.

However, it happened to us and I noticed the room was too small for us. I remember booking a family room with a separate room for the kids with their own PS2 and tv even but the one we first had was different and had only a sofa bed! So after disobeying my hubby I decided to inquire and true enough, it was not the one I paid for so they gave us the right one in the end.

Btw, the game boy was lost in the other smaller hotel near Nadi called Capricorn International Hotel, don't go there he water is murky as well from the taps!

Fondest memory: The quiet and serene islands, with white sand and blue crystal waters, plus the lovely fauna! The pool/spa at Sofitel weren't so bad either!

• Beaches
    • Spa and Resort

• galy's Profile Photo

Nadi in VitiLevu Island

by galy Updated Sep 13, 2003

Favorite thing: Nadi in Viti Levu Island is a good place to organize your travels around the Viti Levu Island. There is a plethora of tourist services from dirt-cheap accommodation and places to eat to luxury resorts. There's a high proportion of Fiji Indians in Nadi, mostly fourth-generation descendants of the indentured laborers brought to Fiji to work in the cane fields

Fondest memory: Malamala Island

Fiji starches

by bjmd22 Written Aug 11, 2003

Favorite thing: If you goto Fiji and want to try the local food you will likley try several of the root crops. The most abundant are the Taro or Dalo roots, and Kasava. Both have the consistancy of a dry overcooked potatoe. If you are lucky you will get to try the Wild Yams that grom in the forrest.

International Dateline

by bjmd22 Written Aug 11, 2003

Favorite thing: The International Dateline passes through Taveuni. There is a marker not to far from SomoSomo. If you are passing through it might be interesting, but not worth a trip from the other side of the island.

• KiwiQ8's Profile Photo

Talk to the locals , youll...

by KiwiQ8 Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Talk to the locals , youll probably get invited to go out with them. Being in the Air Force we got talking to some locals who were officers and they took us to their officers club and brought us drinks all day

• smiles97's Profile Photo

If you're after a nice...

by smiles97 Written Sep 2, 2002

Favorite thing: If you're after a nice relaxing holiday, you must go out to one of the smaller islands. We stayed in a bure right on the beach, and basically had our own part of the beach to laze about and it was wonderful. There are plenty of free activites like snorkelling, sailing, canoing, tennis, putt putt golf, and the food and entertainment are second to none!

Fondest memory: Getting married of course. We didnt want a big wedding, and the thought of spending a fortune for one afternoon was ridiculous to us as we were saving up a deposit for our own house, so we saw a travel agent here in Australia and organised everything before we went. The day after we arrived at the Fijian Resort, we met up with the wedding organiser, and signed all the official paperwork and ran through details of how we wanted things. I saw a nice arrangement of tropical flowers at their reception desk and said I wanted a bouquet to carry just like that...and I got it no problems at all. We also noticed that they had 3 guys playing guitars and ukelales in the foyer, singing Fijian songs and we asked if they would be able to play at our wedding and that was no problem either.
    We spent most of our wedding day relaxing by the pool until about 2pm, then we got ready in our room before being taken to the most beautiful spot overlooking the water to be married at sunset. It was just gorgeous, and afterwards we had a beautiful lobster dinner on a balcony in one of the restaurants. So if anyone out there wants a stress free, no worries wedding day, I would definitely recommend Fiji....at least you dont have to worry about forking out stacks of money to feed stacks of ungrateful relatives!

• wilddog's Profile Photo

For sure like your life...

by wilddog Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: For sure like your life depended on it bring mosiquito repellent as well as some sort of cream to stop the itching. I came across several people that were crying from all the bites and they had nothing so I shared what I had they were so happy they were able to have fun again..And dont forget that sun screen and a hat as the sun has a different angle down under.and Fiji is close enough to down under. Also dont miss the Kava drinking You may make some native friends that will invite you to their village or you will be able to do it lots of times in the backpackers lodigings. As they have lots of things like that . And the best thing not to miss is the FIRE WALK and better yet take off your shoes and do it .If you do it well then you can do anything in life why because you just conquered your oun fear. So good on ya mate have a blast in paradise.....

Fondest memory: The beauty of the islands and the kindness of the people... Also the intense colors of the water against the sky and the beautiful colors of the flowers and the vegetation.......

• Jez79's Profile Photo

Visit a Fijian church

by Jez79 Updated Feb 28, 2003

Favorite thing: Visit a Fijian church. We went to a church and sat on the matted floor with the locals. It was a fantastic experience and we met a lot of people, from whom we were able to learn a lot about the country. We even got an invite back to a village, where we had kava and an amazing meal with some people we met. That was possibly the most rewarding experience we had.

Fondest memory: The friendliness of the people. Almost everyone we met in Fiji greeted us with a smile and it was common for locals to come up and chat to us as we walked along the road. We met some amazing people and learned a lot about Fiji from just chatting to people we met along the way. I've never been anywhere where the people are all so consistently nice and happy.

• nieldy's Profile Photo

nieldy's General Tip

by nieldy Written Aug 26, 2002

Fondest memory: Sunsets! Here's me, looking like a bronzed god! Well,looking slightly puzzled anyway. 'Hmm, what is that person doing pointing that camera at me?' Note the bottle of Fiji bitter in my hand - a constant companion. All the Fijian beers had little slogans to go with them. Fiji Bitter - The Sportsmans Beer, for example. My favourite was Fiji Stout - The Health Beer. The more you drink, the healthier you get?

• TashieKitten's Profile Photo

Go SCUBA diving! The water's...

by TashieKitten Updated Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Go SCUBA diving! The water's warm, the fish are plentiful and the vis is great!

Fondest memory: Not having anything to do. No phone, no computer, no television. I went there for my honeymoon and this uninterrupted time with my husband is invaluable and so very very precious to me.

• dreamworld's Profile Photo

I did not move that much...

by dreamworld Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: I did not move that much within the country.
    I was based at Nadi city in Western part of Viti Levu island, where you have the biggest airport (and international one).
    We did a 1 day excursion to the capital...Suva. Very very interesting if you want to really meet local Fidjian people. The government palace is worth to see (you can not enter but you can see it from the gardens), with their guards wearing traditional 'skirt' clothing.

>>> the picture shows the entrance of the Presidential Residence in Suva, with the typical clothes worn by official Fiji police/security...funny

Fondest memory: But the very very best place I've ever been could really be :

MANA island, small one, about 1 1/2 hours by boat from Nadi port. It's like a paradise....extraordinary beach and top top clear water full of sealife and really not crowded. You must go there if you can afford it (boats aren't cheap).
    I did scuba diving off Mana island and that was probably the best diving site I've ever did (better than Australia Big Reef !). We saw whale sharks + hammer sharks + uncommon smaller fishes.

• James_Cooke's Profile Photo

Go to the peaceful WAYA Island...

by James_Cooke Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Go to the peaceful WAYA Island where you can enjoy your life.

Fondest memory: I had a little trip from Waya with the school boat. A lot (A LOT!!!) of children going to school. Wenn we came back it was already advenced night, we saw a hudge cruiser in the bay (impressiv from a fisher boat) and at last we arrived (safe) into the village and made a exellent KAVA night/music.

• Kis_Jutka's General Tip

by Kis_Jutka Written Aug 26, 2002

Fondest memory: My fondest memories of Fiji are the people and the scenery.

The people are very friendly, happy and accomodating. The Fijians love children and offer great baby-sitting services.

The scenery is postcard-like. I was actually foolish enough to take books to read on the beach. However, it was so beautiful, I didn't read a page. The beauty of the landscape is breathtaking and the ocean gorgeous. It was a truly memorable trip.

• Jillworld's General Tip

by Jillworld Written Aug 25, 2002

Fondest memory: The laid back feel! Do not expect anything to happen when they say it will, therefore, don't rush - you have plenty of time. They call if Fijitime, like no other time zone you've known. The people were warm and friendly, especially the kids!

Fiji Hotels

Makongai Island Hotels
Korolevu Hotels
2 Reviews - 6 Photos

Instant Answers: Fiji

Comments

Fiji Favorites

Reviews and photos of Fiji favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Fiji sightseeing.
Map of Fiji