Sports Events in Fiji

The catamaran we hired
    by iandsmith
    Some of the things you can hire
    by iandsmith
    Snorkeling
    by Jim_Eliason

Most Viewed Sports & Outdoors in Fiji

• globetrott's Profile Photo

there is a great beach on Dravuni Island

by globetrott Written Aug 27, 2012

In Ndravuni / Dravuni Island I found the very best beach on my cruise and it is conveniently situated next to the place, where the tenderboats of your cruiseship will land !
    You will find the best beaches there to spend the day, take a bath or enjoy some massages, that are offered there by the local people. The sand is very fine and there is not much sea-weed nor stones on the beach !
    We had about 1700 passangers and a lot of crewmembers going ashore here, but somehow they disappeared on the island that never looked too crowded at any place, except when there was a very long queue of people waiting for the last tenderboats.

Equipment: No special equipment necessary !

• Sailing and Boating
    • Water Sports

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

Snorkeling

by Jim_Eliason Updated Jun 19, 2011

Vanua Levi offers numerous snorkelling options from beach snorkelling to guided trips to the nearby islands. The guided trips leave from Denaru island. We took the Whale's tale schooner to the Mamanuca islands

Equipment: Bring your own for the best quality or gear is available

• Eco-Tourism

• Scuba

by AlBooth Written Jan 17, 2006

As a young boy growing up in Auchtermuchty, I vividly recall being enthralled by nature documentaries showing the colourful undersea worlds of tropical, coral reefs. However, it wasn't until I'd - ahem - grown up and found myself staying in the Seashell Cove resort about half an hour outside Nadi, that I got to see if for myself.

It was magical. I did my Padi training with Sam Wainaimokomoko at Scuba Bula. It was mid winter when I did the course and Sam had a streaming cold because the temperature of the water was so low. I reckon it must've been 25 degrees centigrade (maybe 65-70 farenheit?). To a Scotsman more used to swimming in the North Sea, it was like a big-old salty bath. With wildlife.

F*ck me, it was brilliant! I wish I had photos to show you, but we're talking about a budget tourist from the 1990s. I was proud of myself for hiring an underwater 35mm.

Equipment: When I was there, Scuba Bula was an efficiently-run, well-equipped scuba center. They had loads of equipment and really friendly staff. You can get a bus out to Seashell Cove from Nadi. It takes about half an hour, 45 minutes and doesn't cost much. Ask which bus to get on at Nadi bus terminal.

Spear Fishing

by sunshinejo Written Oct 18, 2005

While I didn't actually try this myself, a couple of my friends did. The trip was organised by the white Sandy Beach Lodge on Naviti Island, although there are probably other places that can arrange it too. Let's just say it doesn't look easy, and only one of them managed to catch anything, but they all said they had fun anyway!

Equipment: Equipment comes in the form of snorkel, mask and fins, and a metal rod with a sharpened tip and a large, fat and strong elastic band to propel it through the water! All equipment was provided by the lodge, and the total cost was about F$15 including boat transfer to the reef!

• Fishing

Snorkelling

by sunshinejo Written Oct 18, 2005

A lot of my time in Fiji was spent in the water with a snorkel! This is a perfect place to do it, as a lot of the coral reefs are close enough to shore that you can just swim out to them from the beach, and they're not so deep that you can't see anything from the surface. It's the perfect free way to pass time! The coral there is so beautiful and I saw loads of marine life while I was in Fiji - including a white-tipped reef shark which was very exciting, although a little scary too as there were people spear fishing nearby!

Equipment: I have my own snorkel and mask that I took with me, and most of the time I just managed without fins. Nearly everywhere you go will hire out snorkels and masks, however, they may charge up to $10 per day, so whether or not you think it's best to take you're own depends on how often you think you'll be in the sea. Cheap snorkels and masks can generally be found pretty easily in Nadi, so this might be a good option for people wanting to spend a lot of time in the water.

Do a scuba dive

by sunshinejo Updated Oct 17, 2005

I had a bad experience scuba diving a few years ago in Greece and have been scared to try it again since. However, seeing how beautiful the coral and fish in Fiji are while snorkelling encouraged me to give it another go. I did my scuba dive from Kuata through the Kuata Beach Resort. An introductory lesson cost me F$125, and, because nobody else wanted to do it that day, it was one-on-one tuition! The guy who took me out was really kind and understanding when I explained to him that I was quite nervous. After a quick briefing on land we moved to the shallow water just off the beach, where he taught me all the basics - how to empty my mask, put my regulator back in my mouth if it comes out... We then started swimming along the sea floor to a depth of about 10m. We weren't underwater for long, but he was constantly checking that I was ok, and pointing out wildlife that we passed. Although I can't really say that I enjoyed the dive, I managed to overcome the nervousness, which was what I wanted. For people who are more experienced, there are opportunities to do cave dives, and to do PADI courses etc. Depending on the time of year, Kuata is a great spot for swimming with Manta Rays, and there are also white-tipped reef sharks that can be seen here.

Equipment: All equipment was included in the cost of the lesson, all I had to bring was my swimming gear and a towel!

• TracyG's Profile Photo

Scuba magic!

by TracyG Written Jun 14, 2005

You absolutely must spend some time, diving/snorkelling off one of the outer islands for the variety of fish and coral that you can see. Just a few meters from the shore line, you can see so much, so you don't even have to take a trip....

Equipment: All equipment is provided and you can take a course on many of the islands if you have never dived before.

• TracyG's Profile Photo

Go fish!

by TracyG Written Jun 14, 2005

Deep sea fishing..Yes, I am a convert. I am not your average fishing type, and I was very reluctant to give it a go, but It really is a great way to relax and get a suntan but do something at the same time. It is also very exciting when you catch something, which you are almost guaranteed to do, in this part of the world, go catch that Marlin now...

Equipment: All equipment is provided and they will teach novices like moi, how to use it as well.

Golfing

by grets Written Sep 24, 2004

My father and husband decided they wanted to try out the golf course which belonged to the hotel, while my mum and I go for a swim. Apart from a nice walk in the sunshine, I think they enjoyed their little round of golf, even though David ended up in the bunker a couple of times. Never mind.

However, my dad wanted to watch David's technique, and decided to stand a little to the side of the tee. David, unfortunately, sliced the ball, and it ended up going straight into my dad's shin. By the time they returned to the hotel, my dad's leg looked like it had half a tennis ball attached to it!

Moral of the story? Stay well behind an inexperienced golfer!

• Golf

Sailing

by grets Written Sep 24, 2004

Sailing lessons were avaiable, and David really wanted to have a go. I did a week's course in the Isle of Wight, learning to sail, many, many years ago, in fact I even qualified with a Royal Yachting Association's Certificate.

However, this was David's big moment. We paid extra for me to be a passenger while he learned. We expected the instructor to stay on the boat with us, but after a few simple directions, he let us out on our own.

We sailed off towards Ragent's own private island, did a few nice little turn, and then David delivered his new-found speciality: underwater sailing! Somehow he manage to steer the catemaran downwards, water started to cover the top, we were getting deeper and deeper into the sea.

Of course, the bouyancy of the boat means that it did "pop" up to the surface again after a little while, but it was an interesting experience!

• Sailing and Boating

Wind Surfing

by grets Written Sep 24, 2004

The ship has a windsurfing board which they brought asore to this island. When I mentioned to Alan that I would love to have a go, but didn't know how, he offered to teach me.

I didn't get on too well initially, but once Alan gave me a few basic tips, I managed to get it moving, at least in one direction. Turning round was more difficult. I did evenutally manage to move to the other side of the board before I fell off. Every time I fell off, I somehow managed to end up under the sail. I couple of times I was hit by the mast too. Eventually I gave up, despite calls of encouragement from fellow passengers.

Unfortunately, nobody thought of taking a photograph of me whilest I was actually upright on the board, so you'll ahve to make do with a picture of the beach. Sorry.

• Windsurfing

Paddle boarding

by grets Written Sep 24, 2004

The cruise ship keeps a couple of paddle boards on board which they take ashore with them to the various islands. You are free to use these at any time, and it is good fun. It is something like sea kayaking, but you sit with one leg either side of the board with your feet dangling in the water, so it is easier to balance.

• Kayaking

Snorkelling

by grets Written Sep 24, 2004

The water around the Yasawa Group Islands is crystal clear and really warm, and the reef is very shallow, thus making for very good snorkelling. I brought my own mask and fins, but they were available for hire on board.

I found it really difficult to avoid touching the coral as it was so shallow. I tried to stick to the edge of the reef, but with the current and the excitement of seeing a colourful fish, it wasn't always that easy.

• katn's Profile Photo

KATN Trek Sports

by katn Updated May 27, 2004

KATN Trek Sports is an organization that brings passionate individuals, teams, and coaches from around the world to Fiji to help children develop their skills and talents in various sports. Sports enthusiasts who are seeking to help others in their free time are invited to experience the unique Fijian culture while doing something positive for less privileged communities in Fiji.

Equipment: KATN Trek Sports organizes individuals and teams to come to Fiji to volunteer at the KATN sports camps, as well as taking them into communities, schools, and villages to share their skills. These individuals and teams will also work hand in hand with the various sporting bodies and/or organizations by lending their assistance in whatever manner the organization/club needs. For instance, they may provide sports clinics, coaching, ideas for developing or marketing the sport in Fiji, etc. For professional players, KATN Trek Sports will organize test matches with various teams in the sport.

• Adventure Travel
    • Eco-Tourism
    • Seniors

• bjmd22's Profile Photo

Cheap Diving in the Yasawas

by bjmd22 Written Aug 12, 2003

On the island of Tavewa in the Yasawas there is a realy inexpensive place to dive. Down the beach a bit from Davids Place, and past the main and obvious dive shop, is a dive shop ran by a half Fijian guy named Kelly. He is a real cool guy and you can dive for $F50 first/$F30 every additonal dive. This includes equipment rental. It is a very safe and professional operation aimed at serving the backpacker crowd.

Fiji Hotels

Makongai Island Hotels
Korolevu Hotels
2 Reviews - 6 Photos

Instant Answers: Fiji

Comments

Fiji Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of Fiji sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Fiji sightseeing.
Map of Fiji