Nanuya Lailai Travel Guide

Nanuya Lailai

Nanuya Lailai Things to Do

• Pick your spot in the shade

We grabbed a shady spot under the trees on the grass - I hate getting sand everywhere. The island is idyllic, beautiful white sandy beaches, totally desrted, fringed by gently swaying palms in the light breeze. It was fairly flat and there were lots of aplm trees providing welcome shade.

• Fish feeding

After lunch we wandered over to the point for fish feeding. Alan said to be there at 14.00. Several of us were, but no Alan. It was Fijian time of course! He turned up eventually, with a large plastic bag full of bread. We could all do our own feeding, and he had encouraged us to bring the snorkelling gear, which I was really pleased about, as it...

• Wind Surfing

The ship has a windsurfing board which they brought asore to this island. When I mentioned to Alan that I would love to have a go, but didn't know how, he offered to teach me. I didn't get on too well initially, but once Alan gave me a few basic tips, I managed to get it moving, at least in one direction. Turning round was more difficult. I did...

• Paddle boarding

Back on the island after our snorkelling excursion, we played about on the paddle board for a bit. Very similar to a say akayak, the paddle board is a fairly flat piece of polystyrene which you sit astride with your legs dangling either side for balance.

• Underwater photography

I am incredibly bouyant, which causes all sorts of problems when I try to dive down and take photos of the fish or corals. I probably managed to dive down about three metres, but by the time I had pointed the camera at my subject and the finger had found the right button, I had floated half way up again. I kept trying, which was wearing me out, as...

• Great Reef

The reef here was a little deeper than the one we snorkelled at a couple of days ago at Nathula Island, which meant that we could actually swim over it rather than just along the edge.

Nanuya Lailai Restaurants

• Prepareing the feast

Earlier in the day - about 2pm - we had watched the crew burning wood to create the heat for the earth oven, or lovo. The meat is then wrapped in banana leaves and cooked for several hours in the hot sand.

• Fijian Lovo

We returned to the beach later in the evening after having been back to the ship to freshen up. Torches were lit on shore and there was a little oil lamp on the shuttle boat. Very romantic.Tui, the chef, made the opening of the earth oven into a great ceremony, which was lovely. We all stood round while he scraped off the sand with a shovel and...

• Nanuya Lailai Hotels

0 Hotels in Nanuya Lailai

Nanuya Lailai Nightlife

• grets's Profile Photo
    The mad Brits

by grets Written Sep 24, 2004

After dinner we were to have a singing competition: each nation against the others. The Germans (the majority of the cruise passengers) took it all very seriously, whereas we'd made a big joke of it all, singing Old MacDonald had a farm, bringing out the bungy jumping sheep and tying knotted handkerchiefs on our heads. All good fun.

We ahd trouble singing for laughing so much and the crew were in stitches. We certainly gave the best entertainment value, but we were marked down for laughing whilst singing and for disturbing the other nations: we had made up some score cards with zeros on them, which we held up for all the others, plus cards with ten points on for us!

Needless to say, we didn't win. The Germans did.

Dress Code: The sillier the better, let's look like a typical Englishman abroad!

• Cruise
    • Beaches

Nanuya Lailai Transportation

• Dodo22's Profile Photo

by Dodo22 Updated Sep 7, 2010

If you are visiting Fiji and want to spend some time in clear blue water, white sandy beaches and not many people, you can't go past Nanuya LaiLai in the Yasawa Islands.

There is a fast catamaran that visits these islands each day, dropping off tourists at the resorts, the trip is run by Awesome Adventures and offers the ability to access accommodation from the budget backpacker

• Diving and Snorkeling

Nanuya Lailai Local Customs

• grets's Profile Photo

by grets Written Sep 24, 2004

All through dinner, we heard this sound "thump, clunk", "thump, clunk", and somebody explained that it was the sound of pounding of the kava root. I had to go and investigate, and yes, the crew were making this unusual drink. It's all still very traditional, they were producing the kava for themselves, not for the tourists. I feel we have seen so much more of the traditional Fijian way of life by being on this cruise than is we had just stayed in a five star hotel. We got so much closer to the Fijian people too, by sharing their kava and joining in the sing song in the evening.

• Beaches
    • Cruise

Instant Answers: Nanuya Lailai

Comments

Explore Deeper into Nanuya Lailai
Snorkelling