Nathula Island Travel Guide

Nathula Island Things to Do

by grets Written Sep 24, 2004

The cruise ship keeps a couple of paddle boards on board which they take ashore with them to the various islands. You are free to use these at any time, and it is good fun. It is something like sea kayaking, but you sit with one leg either side of the board with your feet dangling in the water, so it is easier to balance. Even my father had a go, as you can see from the photograph.

• Kayaking

by grets Written Sep 24, 2004

The beaches were so sandy and the water so shallow that swimming for excercise was almost impossible. However, it was fantastic just to wallow in the warm, clear water, just enjoying the sunshine, the location and the company. A BBQ lunch was served on shore, with complementary soft drinks.

by grets Written Sep 24, 2004

I really wanted to do some scuba diving while on this cruise, but theta was not possible to arrange, as they had no-one qualified to look after you. If there had been two of us qualified, and we'd had our own equipment with us, we would have been able to do it. There was another young Australian couple who both dived, but none of us had any equipment. We could have hired it back in Nadi, but by the time we knew that, it was too late.

Nathula Island Warnings and Dangers

by grets Written Sep 24, 2004

We were warned to be careful about corals, not stepping on them or breaking them off. Touching them can cause a rash, and obviously doesn't do much for conservation.

Also found in and amongst the reefs here, is a very dangerous sea snake, which although not usually aggressive, is best avoided.

I became quite alarmed when I saw this snake-shaped creature, although I was told that this one is not danegrous. I didn't hang around to find out!

Nathula Island Favorites

by grets Written Sep 24, 2004

Favorite thing: The water was a snorkeller's delight, crystal clear and comfortably warm. The reef was very shallow and thus ideal for snorkelling. Even if you were not into donning a mask and fins, the cruise ship had glass bottom boats which you could see the beautiful underwater world.

Fondest memory: Following a bright blue fish for ages all along the reef. He seemed totally oblivious to the giant creature following him (me) as he swam in and out of the various corals.

Instant Answers: Nathula Island

Comments

Nathula Island Travel Guide
Map of Nathula Island