Know about this?
Where are the deceased?
Touring the island, I saw a couple of churches but I was wondering where the deceased were, because I never saw a cemetary. Later, I found out that the deceased are buried at home.
Very often you can see a little house or concrete block in the front yard of the house. This is a family grave.
I found it interesting to see to see a variety of memorials in front of houses along the main road. Some were like little houses, while others had stone plaques. Only when we slowed the motorscooter did we realize that it was a burial ground. This seems to be quite common, as we noticed them in front of just about every home we passed.
- Diving and Snorkeling
- Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save up to 50% off Hotels Everyday
- Expedia.com Photos, Reviews and the Guaranteed Lowest Prices