Diving, Bora-Bora

Know about this? Rate It!

• Diving
  • jmpncsu's Profile Photo

Topdive Bathys

by jmpncsu Written Feb 13, 2012
    Motu Tapu

We had a great experience with Topdive Bathys in Bora Bora. We did a two-tank dive that was only our second and third dives since being certified. The staff picked us up at our hotel and drove us to Vaitape where their main office is located. We got gear from them then got out on the boat and headed out. Our first dive with near Motu Tapu just past Teavanui Pass in deeper water, about 60 feet. Even before getting the water, our boat was surrounded by reef sharks. Down at the bottom, we saw lemon sharks, a yellow trumpet fish, flounder, plecos, parrot fish and an eel. The colors and diversity of sea life was absolutely amazing. When we were finished, the boat took us to the next spot near Motu Toopua. This was a shallower drift dive, where we followed the guide through beautiful coral reefs. Almost immediately, we saw a massive eagle ray gracefully swimming near the bottom. Swimming through the reef, there were clownfish, anemones, and many other beautiful tropical fish. Then back to the boat. We headed back to Vaitape and they took us back to the hotel. Overall, Topdive Bathys was great. The staff were very friendly and helpful and took the time to ensure we understood how to use the equipment and hand signals and ensure diver safety. Between dive sites, we were given bottled water and fresh fruit. They also have nitrox and more advanced diving as well as certification for those who want to learn. Unfortunately, I don't have an underwater camera so I couldn't take and pictures underwater, but I included a couple from the boat.

Equipment: We rented our equipment from them. It was only a few dollars more; probably much less than the cost of shipping dive equipment.

• Diving and Snorkeling

• Bilimari's Profile Photo

Shark Feeding

by Bilimari Written May 27, 2007

From the very first dive as we went down into the water, the sharks were everywhere! It turned out that the local divers feed them, and the sharks come to the boat as soon as they here it's coming. I know, some people freak out when they see sharks, but it's really fine. They were only interested in fish that local divers were giving, and don't even pay attention to you unless you provoke them. Some really come close to you. One time I thought I could pet them. :D

• Bilimari's Profile Photo

Scuba Diving with TOPdive

by Bilimari Written May 27, 2007

I did a total of 8 dives with them, and every one of them were excellent experience! The staff take really good care of you while you are on the trip with them. They usually have 2 dives in the morning and 1 in the afternoon depending on the weather. They usually break people up in a small group (3-5), and each group is lead by a guide (I believe all guides are instructors.) A video cameraman may come along on some of the trips. The DVDs from your dive trips are available for purchase.

The water was really great with 100ft visibility in most areas. Lots of things to see. I saw sharks, turtles, rays, etc. etc. really interesting. The currant can be very strong in some area. It's perfect for a drift dive, but if you want to go after shark or turtle to take photos or to pet (lol), be careful of how much air you suck in to swim after them against the currant.

Equipment: You should always bring at least your own mask, fins, and snorkel, but they have everything for rental if you need them. I had a skin with 3mm shorty, but more for the protection than to keep me warm. In early April, the water was pretty warm already.

• nicolettart's Profile Photo

First-time Scuba Diver

by nicolettart Updated Jun 23, 2003

Clownfish

If you have never gone scuba diving before, this is the place to try it. The water is so clear and the sea life is amazing. Actually you don't have to go very deep to experience the sea life.2

Equipment: The equipment was provided by the tour operator, including wetsuit, tank, everything.

• Diving and Snorkeling

Instant Answers: Bora-Bora

Comments

Other Sports & Outdoors in Bora-Bora