Moorea Favorites

Baby pineapples

Most Recent Favorites in Moorea

Hens and roosters

by Muya Written Sep 6, 2007
    Our 5 a.m alarm clock eating a coconut :-)

Favorite thing: They seem to be everywhere on the island ! We had a lot in the garden of our hotel, and came across some of them even at the top of the Belvedere Lookout ! They also seemed to have colonized the motu homing the Lagoonarium :-) Someone there told us that those animals are very useful against mosquitoes, as they drink the stagnant water that attracts them…Well then…I should have taken a bunch IN my bungalow for the night… their presence around didn’t prevent my transformation into a giant living target for mosquitoes :-)

Pineapple

by Muya Written Sep 6, 2007
    Pineapple close-up

Favorite thing: Moorea is also known as the « Pineapple island ». Indeed, pinapples are very abundant, and can be considered as the main island production. We visited a plantation at the agricultural school (Lycee Agricole), where we could see the different growing stages of this delicious fruit. We enjoyed it a lot ! The sght of those pineapple field was really fantastic !
    If you stop at juice company « Jus de Fruit de Moorea », you can taste various products made of pineapples and other fruits (but it was closed when we went).

Beautiful sunsets

by Muya Written Sep 4, 2007
    Cloudy sunset

Favorite thing: A sunset in French Polynesia is an unforgettable memory...
    The beach at hotel Hibiscus is a good place to watch the sun go down. The numerous coconut palm trees provide a beautiful background for sunset pictures

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

This was my own "Eye-Pod"

pod of dolphins

Favorite thing: One of the wonderful experiences in our circle island tour was the opportunity to get up close and personal with a pod of dolphins! Although they did not really want anything to do with us, they did seem to swim close enough for some wonderful picture opportunities! I was not nearly as fascinated with these creatures as the others in our boat, but to see the happiness on the face of others meant that this truly was unique!

These characters were quite graceful, and our captain was definitely outsmarted by them on several occassions having to re-position his boat appropriately at times.

French Polynesian Poisson Cru

Poisson Cru

Favorite thing: Although I would not call this the single most important activity or site while on Moorea, I definitely want to share with you the delicious dish that the Mooreans call Poisson Cru.

Poisson is obviously fish, so first add fresh mahi-mahi or tuna (if you are in the non-ocean world, make sure it is considered sushi-grade fish).

Slice up the fish, put it in a bowl.
    Add Lime juice or Lemon juice.
    Add a couple pinches of salt.
    Mix around in the bowl for a couple seconds.
    Drain out excess lime juice, however keep some in there.
    Add coconut milk to taste.
    Dice up cucumbers, tomatoes, and carrots and toss in.
    Shake it up once again, and add a lettuce garnish.

You now have a delicious island meal! No cooking necessary, because the citrus kills bacteria on fish!

Moorea Shaped "Mile" Markers

Sarah at Km5 Moorea

Favorite thing: Although the French use Km rather than miles, Kilometer Markers do not roll off your tongue as easily to me. These mile markers are quite unique as they are shaped like the island of Moorea! They will also be of great benefit to you if you decide to take a stroll around the island, or if you are looking at your handy guide to Moorea! All the restaurants also advertise which mile marker they are closest to, in case you want to know how far you will be driving to get your next meal!

In general, these come about every 3-6 km, so watch out for one... it will help you decide where on this beautiful island you are!

Visit Mt. Rotui

Mount Rotui

Favorite thing: One of the views that is so amazing about this island is the jagged peaks that give the island its unique look. Historians say that thousands of years ago, the northern rim of the volcano either fell into the sea or was blown away by a volcanic explosion, leaving the heart-shaped island of today.

The south rim of the ancient volcano makes up the mountain range on Moorea. Rotui stands 2,624 ft.,it is frequently depicted on post cards and is the image on one side of the 100 CFP coin. Opunohu Bay sits on the west side of Mt. Rotui and Cook’s Bay on the east side.

This mountain really makes for spectacular pictures and I would highly recommend spending some time in a photographic area near it.

• aussirose's Profile Photo

Why bands around the coconut trees?

Moorea Coconuts

Favorite thing: I don't know if you can see it or not, but we wondered why there were all these aluminium bands around the coconut trees on the island. We were told they have big rats and it stops them climbing up to get the coconuts :o)

• Eco-Tourism

Meet the locals

Moorea Band

Favorite thing: You can't help but meet and become friends with the locals. Besides William the PR man, we met and had drinks with Andre the barman, the band and Animal, a friendly local. I'll never forget the atmosphere.

Fondest memory: Here's hubby with the Band and Animal.

• aussirose's Profile Photo

Moorea has gorgeous beaches.

Moorea Sunset Cruise

Favorite thing: Moorea has gorgeous white sand beaches. I didn't get to see a sunset though because the boat pictured here (the one they use for the sunset tour) broke down. I was very disappointed.

Bet they have flasher boats now :o)

• aussirose's Profile Photo

Everone wears Paeros (Sarongs)

Moorea Pareo Show

Favorite thing: You simply must buy a Paero in Tahiti. The tahisians all wear them and we got shown some different ways of putting them on. I'll see if I can explain my favourite one. You put it on lengthways underneath your arm pits and tie in front. Then reach down and grab each side below the waiste. Bring it up and tie to one side, exposing the belly button with a triangle up to the tie. Get it? It is a very femanine way to wear the paero.

Everyone wears flowers

Hibiscus Tahiti

Favorite thing: Tahiti has gorgeous flowers. I loved wearing a flower behind my ear every day. A tip - when you pick a hibiscus you do not have to put it in water. Just pop it in a small vase and it'll stay open until night when it closes. Sometimes a good one will stay open for two days. I always have one on my kitchen sink window at home. Here is a pic of my favourite flower.

• Eco-Tourism

Where is Moorea?

Moorea Map

Favorite thing: Moorea is the closest island to Tahiti. We stayed a couple of nights in Papette which is the capital of Tahiti and then we went by boat to Moorea for a week. We stayed on the eastern side at Moorea Lagoon Resort and had the best time!!!

Although now that Sheridan has taken over, the price has hiked and I bet the lovely friendly, personal atmosphere has dissapeared,... shame.

• Spa and Resort

• minstrel74's Profile Photo

Moorea Lagoon

by minstrel74 Written Feb 6, 2005

Moorea Lagoon

Favorite thing: Despite its touristy feel, Moorea Lagoon really is quite lovely. There are some beautiful bungalows built over the water, and although I wasn't able to stay in one of these, I am not ashamed to say that I would if I were on a shorter trip or had money to burn. The color of the water here is unbelievable--the brightest, most beautiful turquoise you can imagine.

Anybody out there looking for a nice place to go on a honeymoon or other romantic getaway--here you go. I believe that's the Moorea Lagoon Hôtel you see in this photograph.

• easyoar's Profile Photo

Bright flowers

by easyoar Updated Jan 8, 2005

Bright flowers in Moorea

Favorite thing: Moorea is full of bright and colourful flowers and plants. This is just a sample picture of one of them.

They seem to grow all the year around, as I guess the seasons are not really so apparent when you have tropical type weather. There is certainly no frost to kill off the flowering buds!

Flowers to look out for are the Hibiscus and Tiare (emblem of Tahiti.) as well as many others too numerous to mention (or for me to even know their names!)

• Water Sports
    • Beaches

Instant Answers: Moorea

Comments

Moorea Favorites

Reviews and photos of Moorea favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Moorea sightseeing.