Unique Places in Moorea

Most Viewed Off The Beaten Path in Moorea

• iolanthe108's Profile Photo

Afareaitu Waterfall

by iolanthe108 Updated Jun 14, 2011

Okay, it's not that easy to find but well worth it. We hitched a ride to the town that it's near (I can't remember the town's name now but ask at your hotel). There is a small market on the left side of the road and a dirt road the runs behind it, past a school. It's not marked, or wasn't when we were there. Also, it definitely helped that I spoke French and could ask the locals directions! However, again, it was incredibly worth it.

It wasn't the most beautiful waterfall that I've seen. It's just a thread. But the hike to get there! Wow. It started to rain and the path up was poorly marked, so we just kept sort of aiming toward the Falls. We got pretty close to the base although hard to say how close you can get. This is not for the faint of heart. I was, at times, waist deep in water and holding on to tree limbs to climb back up. Few photos since my camera was in a plastic bag where I was praying it wouldn't get ruined. The hike took about an hour from wherever we parked, which was finally, roughly marked with a small handwritten sign that said "Cascade" (I think).

I can't describe how beautiful the hike is in words. You aren't likely to see many others at all. And you just feel like you're in the thickest jungle you can imagine. Fortunately, there aren't snakes, although I did see some giant centipedes. Huge mushrooms like shelves. Black volcanic rocks. All manner of gorgeous flowers and fruits. I ate a wild passion fruit that tasted like Heaven.

This photo does not do this experience justice!

• iolanthe108's Profile Photo

Take a horseback ride to Belvedere Lookout

by iolanthe108 Written Jun 14, 2011

Really fun! You can rent a horse and a guide for a few hours -- at the hotels and perhaps other spots too -- and ride up to Belvedere lookout and then through the plantations, through the jungle, and so on for a few hours. This was something that we did on our last day in Moorea and was just awesome because we got to see the interior which isn't all that accessible otherwise.

Bring bug spray. The mosquitos are intense. And the view is twice as intense. On the plantations, we were given more gorgeous tropical fruit than we could eat... papaya, mango, pineapple...

Highly recommended.

• Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Horse Riding

• Muya's Profile Photo

Fishing with a simple thread

by Muya Written Sep 5, 2007

A child’s play… I guess that’s what every fishing fan will say, but we were quite impressed to see that little girl fishing at Cook’s Bay, with only a thread and a few baits !
    We observed her while waiting for our meals at a table of the Blue Pineapple. I bet she caught a few dozens by the time we had finished eating !

• Muya's Profile Photo

The perfect job !

by Muya Written Sep 5, 2007

Every morning while we were having our breakfast, we noticed that man giving the beach a good sweep and removing every single fallen leaf from the sand.
    Well honestly speaking, I’d rather sweep that beach than my house :-)

• Sea Walking

by DAVENEWTON11 Written Dec 24, 2005

Get to the beachcomber hotel walk straight in through reception no security past the pool and look for AQUA BLUE , the owner is VINCE he takes you helmet diving no need for Scuba experience . the helmet sits on your shoulders and you walk along the sea floor sting rays are prolific and you hand feed them quite safely we saw many types of fish and moray eels
    the cost was reasonable.

A must do fun experience the water is warm :)

• easyoar's Profile Photo

Fruit sellers on the side of the road

by easyoar Updated Apr 21, 2005

One of the nice things when you are driving around the island is to come across a local fruit seller on the side of the road. The produce is very very fresh, and is pretty cheap by Polynesian standards.

We bought some small bananas, which tasted so much better than anything you can buy in the shops back in the UK. They had probably only ben picked a few hours before!

If we had had our cooking facilities, we would probably have bought a bit more besides! The bananas do make handy snacks for when you are on the move too.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Hike some trails!

by ATXtraveler Written Apr 21, 2005

If you are in Moorea for longer than just a cruise ship's daytime stop, I would highly recommend finding some of the beautiful hiking trails. The pictures will be amazing. Such beautiful foilage and flora, you can not go wrong enjoying this paradise! The hotels you will stay at will most likely give you some options on where to head off to!

Enjoy it!

• minstrel74's Profile Photo

Great view of the mountains!

by minstrel74 Updated Feb 6, 2005

For an amazing view of Moorea's mountains, be sure to drive around the south side of the island. The lush peaks rise abruptly and will probably be capped by low-lying clouds. It's quite a sight, and will certainly give you an opportunity to take some photos that will awe your friends back home.

• minstrel74's Profile Photo

Marae Nuurua

by minstrel74 Written Feb 6, 2005

This marae is a bit out of the way, and as a result, doesn't seem to get many visitors. It's composed of some small rocks piled up in a low wall or altar formation.

To reach this site, head south of Hauru and pass the Tiki Theatre Village. The marae is just a short distance beyond this on the right-hand, beach side of the road. Look for the football field--it's just on the other side.

• Archeology

• easyoar's Profile Photo

Coconut growing on the beach

by easyoar Updated Dec 29, 2004

There isn't too much that can be said about this, but it is very nice to be strolling along the waters edge, and to see an old coconut sprouting up.

I have no idea how old this was, I would guess about a year or so. Coconuts palms grow all over Moorea, so this is a fairly common thing to see. The baby coconut just sprouts where the old coconut landed when it fell off the tree.

Polynesian Hangover

by easyoar Written Dec 28, 2004

Whilst I was wandering around the Ebenezer Church, I heard a scurrying sound, and looked about and saw a huge crab disappearing down a hole in the ground. I suddenly saw loads of holes, and a few other crabs disappearing down them. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture, they were all too fast for me, but whilst I wandered around I bit more, I spotted this:

Looks like a few Polynesians had a bit of a party the night before, and left their empties behind afterwards! Looks like Rum and Coke, Tahiti Drink and Bud are the order of the day!

Moorea is famous for its lack of litter, so seeing this was all the more unusual...

• Canadian_Traveler's Profile Photo

Don't forget the simple things

by Canadian_Traveler Updated Aug 16, 2004

Though you'll likely do a lot of relaxing on a trip to Moorea you'll also find lots to keep you busy, both in and out of the water. One thing I highly recommend, especially if youre staying at the Sofitel is to get up early (5:30 during the winter months) and catch the sun beginning to rise over the horizon. We couldn't see the sun set from our hotel but we definitely took advantage of the sun rises. (P.S. It's much easier to be up so early when you body's still in E.S.T.)

• CulturalCompetence's Profile Photo

Waterfall

by CulturalCompetence Updated Jul 15, 2004

There is a waterfall on the northern side of Moorea. If you travel into the "towny" area, ask the locals about the waterfall and they can direct you to a paved road that passes a small school. The road quickly turns into a dirt road - Keep going! The dirt road is a little bumpy, however you can take a car part of the way. When the road begins to get rocky (very easy to notice ahead of time!), park your car on the side of the road. You will have to hike the remainder of the way unless you have a 4x4 vehice, and even then I don't think it is really worth the chance of getting stuck. 4x4 vehicles can't go the entire way up to the waterfall (you'll need to hike a short distance nor matter what type of vehicle you are in). In fact, when we left the waterfall to hike back down to our car, there was a tour group with a 4x4 that left at the exact same time. We hiked down to our car faster than the 4x4 made it down! Therefore, I wouldn't pay the high tour prices to see the waterfall unless hiking an additional 30 minutes would be difficult for you. It is only about a 45-minute hike from where you would park a car to the waterfall. It is a fairly simple hike (a little steep and slippery at times). The tricky part is to actually find the waterfall. The trails are good, however there is a "fork" in the road and the left "fork" looks more "travelled" than the right one. Take the right "fork!" We took the left one and ended up having to double back. The waterfall is pretty, however if you have seen a lot of waterfalls in the past, you may want to skip this one. We have both seen Niagara Falls and saw some pretty waterfall in El Yunque (Puerto Rico), therefore the Moorea waterfall kind of paled in comparison. The picture attached to this post makes the waterfall appear A LOT larger than it actually is...Don't expect much and you'll LOVE it! :-)

• Hiking and Walking
    • Eco-Tourism

• swesn's Profile Photo

MOOREA : HIKE FROM VAIARE TO PAOPAO

by swesn Written Feb 24, 2004

This trek starts from the Vaiare Ferry Point and heads up a slope to a ridge between Mt Tearai (770m) and Mt Mouaputa (830m).

The start of the trek is actually rather difficult to spot. There is a rather obvious path that leads from the main road until you reach the forest. At one point, there appear to be a road heading downwards to the RIGHT. DON'T TAKE THAT ONE. You need to climb up to your LEFT. Up you go. When you start seeing plastic markers tied around trees or red paint painted on tree trunks, you are on the right track.

About 1 hour or so later, you should reach a ridge. At the ridge, walk a little to the left and you will emerge and find youself at the foot of these two dramatic peaks. What a feeling!

There are amazing views everywhere on top of the lush vegetation. Behind you, you can see the side of Moorea facing Tahiti island and even Tahiti itself and in front of you, the other spectacular peaks across the island and a glimpse of Cook’s Bay.

Then, the trail drops down a rather steep slope and meander through the woods before emerging at Paopao, on Cook’s Bay. Keep looking out for the plastic markers or red paint.

Route is very steep, both uphill and downhill, and can be very, very SLIPPERY after rain.

• pizzicato66's Profile Photo

Get to know the local wildlife!

by pizzicato66 Written Feb 25, 2003

You haven't been to Moorea till you've fed the chickens (they're wild and all over the island), petted the cats and dogs, fed a land crab or two, tossed baguette pieces to the fish, or watched the geckos in your bungalow!

• Eco-Tourism

Latest: Jan 29, 2014
Moorea Camping
Latest: Apr 4, 2013

Instant Answers: Moorea

Comments

Moorea Off The Beaten Path

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Moorea locals.
Map of Moorea