Water activity, Moorea

• View of Moorea heading out through Vaiare Pass
    View of Moorea heading out through...
    by jmpncsu
    Leaving from Sofitel
    by jmpncsu
    Lagoonarium
    by Jim_Eliason

Boating around

by wadekorzan Updated Jan 12, 2004

Boating

A nice way to spend an afternoon is by renting a kayak or a boat like the one in the picture. It is very relaxig and once you get a little bit away from the shore, it affords you wonderful views of the mountainous scenery as well as of the coral reefs and fish below the water. The boat shown in the picture was a bit hard to manoever at first (I guess because I simply did not know how to do it correctly) because I seemed to going around in circles...but then again, that wasn't so bad after all, the water was nice and the views were stunning. I would recommend renting some kind of boat such as this to spend a few hours enjoying the ocean.

Try to go to a Motu

by wadekorzan Written Jan 10, 2004

On a Motu

A Motu is like a tiny offshore island, and there are several around Moorea. Though small and there is not much to see on the Motu itself, it really makes for great swimming as the water is incredibly clear, warm, and beautiful, and there are no currents.

• wadekorzan's Profile Photo

Snorkeling is a great way to enjoy the sea

by wadekorzan Written Jan 10, 2004

snorkeling in Moorea

We did alot of snorkeling in Moorea and really enjoyed it. It is easy to rent snorkel gear and there are many different areas for snorkeling. The fish life is incredible as is the coral. We were even lucky enough to see a couple of barracuda, though it was also a bit frightening. You'll want to be careful, of, course, not to snorkel near the reef where the currents are stronger and you'll want to be sure not to try to get cut by the coral, as it is a living organism and a cut can become infected if not treated properly.

Swim with the Manta Rays

by wadekorzan Updated Jan 10, 2004

Swimming with the Manta Rays

This was one of the neatest things I have ever done! We did this on a full day excursion actually, which included a boat ride, swimming with the sharks, the manta rays, swimming at a motu, and a BBQ lunch on a motu (a motu is like a tiny island). For the swimming with the rays, you are taken to a point where the water is very very shallow (you are in water only waist high) and I would say there were about 50 rays around us. They really are swimming all over the place and in fact they will swim right up on top of you if you let them!!! I was not that daring. This is an experience I certainly won't forget and I can highly recommend it.

Swim with the sharks

by wadekorzan Written Jan 9, 2004

Swimming with the sharks

This may sound a bit crazy, but it is a popular excursion. You are taken to a place where the sharks are known to be and then the boat crew lets out a rope which is then secured quite well. You have to jump out of the boat holding on the the rope (because the current is very strong) and edge your way along the rope to allow for others on the trip. It was quite amazing, though I have to admit I was also quite scared, especially when a shark was within about 2 feet away from my face and looking right at me. I did some underwater screaming and I thnk I scared it away. Nonetheless, I had a grat time, and once was enough for me!

• wadekorzan's Profile Photo

Definitely do some snorkeling!

by wadekorzan Updated Jan 9, 2004

snorkeling

We found snorkeling here to be great. The water is warm and calm, and the coral and the fish life was incredible. We rented snorkel equipment right at the hotel which was very convenient. I would not recommend snorkeling too close to the reef however, as the currets there can be a bit strong.

• wadekorzan's Profile Photo

I don't know what they're called, but rent one!!!

by wadekorzan Updated Jan 9, 2004

Floating about

The picture shows us in some sort of floating mechanical machine. It's not a boat, but it seats two people and has a motor and is really very easy to manoever. You have a place to put your towels, drinks, books, whatever, and have plenty of room to stretch out your legs. We had such a great time riding around the shallow water on it, and we took it out near the coral reef and did some great snorkeling from there. We stayed at the Sofitel Ia Ora and the hotel had them for rent, and I am sure many of the other major hotels have them as well. It's just something different to do than lying on the beach.

• Canadian_Traveler's Profile Photo

Snorkeling at the Sofitel

by Canadian_Traveler Written Aug 19, 2004

Snorkeling in Moorea - June 2004

Just throw on a snorkel mask and jump in. The water at the Sofitel Ia Ora is just amazing. You'll see so many different types and colours of fish.

• Beaches
    • Diving and Snorkeling

• Dolphin Encounter

by Sedna Updated Dec 14, 2003

Moorea Dolphin

Moorea Beachcomber offers an opportunity to swim or simply interact with 3 Dolphins in shallow water, see photo. Cost about $150.00 but so worth it. A very beautiful and natural setting

• natehibbs's Profile Photo

Diving

by natehibbs Written Jun 3, 2003

Outside the dive shop

Awesome shark dives available through a variety of shops. Often will offer dive packages with discounted rates for multiple dives.

Instant Answers: Moorea