Tahiti Sports & Outdoors

Most Recent Sports & Outdoors in Tahiti

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Snorkeling among the Reef!

by GracesTrips Updated Aug 19, 2014

I think if you don't swim or snorkel in the ocean of Tahiti, you have missed out on the most visually beautiful experience you can have on your trip. The waters are warm, clear and calm. This makes snorkeling quite easy. The drawback is you do have to go out quite far from shore to see more fish and coral reef (not deep) and doing a snorkel tour will help you achieve that. I think the cost with Top Dive was about US$55.00 or so per person. On Tahiti Nui, there is only one Top Dive facility on the island and it's located on the premises of the Intercontinental Hotel. I say this because on the other islands such as Moorea and Bora Bora, there are many Top Dive facilities all around the island. We did two snorkel tours and both times was quite enjoyable. They have wet suits available for your use. Wet suits are used to help you with buoyancy if you are not a confident swimmer and/or not get too tired of swimming. You spend about 2 hours swimming. The time goes by fast!

Make sure to see my Snorkeling Video at:

Make sure to see my Travelogue for more snorkeling photos:

• Diving and Snorkeling

Borrow a Kayak at the Intercontinental Hotel

by GracesTrips Updated Aug 19, 2014

The Intercontinental Hotel has a couple of kayaks you can use. Go to the Top Dive facility on the premises and they will give you the paddles. You can have an hour for free. More than an hour would be some cost but you won't need more than an hour. They limit you on the distance to just the waterfront of the hotel property. We thought we could snorkel using the kayak but it was rather difficult to get in and out of without tipping the kayak over. So, I arbitrarily put my underwater camera in the water and took pictures not knowing what I would capture.

• Kayaking

Kite Surfing on the North Shore Tahiti Nui

by GracesTrips Updated Aug 19, 2014

The wind and surf is quite different on the north side of the island compared to the west or south side of the island. We happened upon this beach where we witnessed some amazing kite surfing. We did ask, but I get the feeling this is probably the only place to do this on the island. If you wanted to try it or learn, I'm sure someone would be able to accommodate you.

I didn't see any bathroom facility but there was a place to get food and a kite surfing vendor along with a mobile kite surfing truck. Parking available.

See my video at:

• Surfing

• easyoar's Profile Photo

Spearing coconuts

by easyoar Written Dec 23, 2004

Whilst we were at the Museum of Tahiti and her Islands, I spotted some tall metal poles with coconuts on top. After visiting the museum, I asked one of the security guards there what they were for.

He had difficulty explaining in English to me, and told me to follow him. He went to a back room, and picked up this long thin spear thing and said you had to spear the coconut with it. He then took me to the tall poles and showed me what to do and gave me an opportunity to try. I was fairly pleased to be somewhere in the general direction of the coconut. He narrowly missed on several occasions.

I found this to be a very enjoyable experience as it was so unexpected, and the guard at the museum was so friendly and helpful. If you go there, it is worth asking what the poles are to see if you get the same demonstration!

This picture shows the security guard and his spear. The pole with the coconut is some distance behind him, and appears to be growing out of his head. He's a great guy and very friendly, if you see him, ask him about his sport!

Spearing coconuts at the museum
    • Adventure Travel

• easyoar's Profile Photo

Borrow/Rent an outrigger canoe

by easyoar Written Dec 23, 2004

These outrigger canoes are great fun to paddle about in. If you have ever been in a single scull (to the uninitiated, it is a very thin 'rowing' boat for just one person), this will feel very stable. On the other hand, if you haven't, you will have a good chance of turning one of these over!

If you don't have experience, make sure you don't take any cameras that would be 'allergic' to water in the boat with you, or anything that might sink should it suddenly find itself in the water! Don't try and swap positions in the canoe once you set out unless you exercise extreme caution, unless of course you don't mind a dip! You are very unlikely to roll it over the side of the rigger, but the other side has nothing to brace the boat.

Equipment: You'll need a boat, and at least one paddle, depending on how many people you have in the boat.

Borrow/Rent an outrigger canoe
    • Water Sports
    • Rafting

Instant Answers: Tahiti

Comments

Tahiti Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of Tahiti sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tahiti sightseeing.