Tahiti Warnings and Dangers

• Dump Truck that passed us near a blind corner.
    Dump Truck that passed us near a blind...
    by ATXtraveler
    Tahiti Grafiti... sad that they rhyme.
    Tahitian Trash

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Tahiti

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Concerns for your Health

by GracesTrips Updated Aug 19, 2014

There is always a concern that when you travel, you can contract an illness. This is meant to be informative and not to scare you from visiting Tahiti.

Luckily, the CDC has minor warnings regarding Hepatitis A and Typhoid which is contracted from consuming contaminated water or food. You can prevent this by getting a vaccine.

As of February 13, 2014, there has been an outbreak of Zika Fever which is similar to Dengue Fever contracted by mosquito bites. CDC says "The mosquito that carries Zika virus can bite during the day and night, both indoors and outdoors, and often lives around buildings in urban areas." The best prevention is to use bug repellent with DEET or Picaridin.

Here is a link in addition to the CDC link for French Polynesia below regarding the Zika Fever:

• orangeracerx's Profile Photo

Be cautious

by orangeracerx Updated Feb 28, 2013

While snorkeling be very cautious, always keep an eye out.

Firstly sharks constantly swim in the channels near the shore and that is where most attacks happen!

Secondly if you accidentally graze the coral it WILL get infected. Be sure to squeeze lime over the wound immediately, even if the abrasion doesn't bleed.

And lastly always wear sunscreen, even if it is cloudy outside. You don't want to spend your vacation in paradise bright red in the shade.

• Eco-Tourism
    • Diving and Snorkeling

Pick Up your TRASH!!

by ATXtraveler Written Apr 3, 2005

Another thing that makes me very irritated when I travel is the lack of respect some people have to pick up after themselves. Clearly this McDonald's fry container was 10 miles from the nearest McDonald's, which makes me believe it was a tourist!

Just please remember to pick up your trash... if I see you littering, you may not have an arm :)

Tahitian Trash

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

World Statement.... Why Grafitti?

by ATXtraveler Written Apr 3, 2005

Although I am clearly a fan of travelling and there is probably no one on the site that would disagree with me that grafitti is stupid.... but seriously, does anyone know why people do this? Such a beautiful island to leave ruined by this sort of thing.

I also apologize for propogating the problem by putting it on the world wide web, but its here anyway!

Tahiti Grafiti... sad that they rhyme.

Large Dump Trucks!

by ATXtraveler Written Apr 3, 2005

If you are headed into the interior of the Tahitian Island, please be advised that there are many dump trucks currently moving very large silt and stone to factories and they utilize the inner island road. On several occassions, our tour operator stopped, almost sensing one of these big monsters coming around a blind corner... only to be right on the money!

Dump Truck that passed us near a blind corner.
    • Business Travel

• easyoar's Profile Photo

Petty theft is common

by easyoar Updated Dec 21, 2004

I suspect this has a lot to do with the vastly over inflated prices in Tahiti, but petty theft is a real problem. Never leave a car alone with anything in it.

We had to carry our stuff with us on our last day, and made sure we never left the car unattended, even if it meant one of us staying back with the car at all times.

Sad but true. My own attitude when I have had things stolen from cars whilst on holiday is that it p's me off so badly that I would rather take preventitive action than let it happen.

• Water Sports
    • Beaches

Instant Answers: Tahiti

Comments

Tahiti Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Tahiti warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tahiti sightseeing.