Safety Tips in Guam

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Guam

• airport not safe

by shinya22 Written Mar 15, 2014

I arrived at guam this week and I lost my cellphone,then when I go to the airport police and
    report my lost cellphone they are not helpfull,they found a celphone the day I lost my phone but they do not want to show me if its my cellphone or not,they ask information about the cellphone and then decided and ignore me and just plain said that the cellphone that found is not mine.How could they say such thing if they do not want to show me the phone!!!BEWARE BEWARE

• Women's Travel

• Maria07's Profile Photo

Guam has change for the worst

by Maria07 Written Jan 25, 2014

I have been here on Guam all my life, and true what others say about Guam. The crime rate is high, every store is expensive, the beaches are trashed, not everyone is friendly, drugs are the in thing on Guam, etc. My plan is to take my family and leave this island because it ain't what it use to be before things were simple and everyone was at peace with their neighbors and community. Now everything sucks I can't get a job because you would have to know someone to get a job, which sucks because if you apply for a job and they don't know you they will put your application a side which is unfair. I do not blame the visitors that come to Guam, actually their the ones that try to make Guam look beautiful, and I do not blame them for commenting about Guam being corrupt. I love Guam, but now I want to take my family out of Guam because there is really nothing here.

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Massage Parlors

by machomikemd Written Apr 13, 2012

Massage Parlors in Guam are little more than fronts for prostitution heheheh. Yes they offer massages and the staff are trained to do a foot massage or a shiatsu massage or a thai massage or a whole body massage that costs from $ 30 to $ 80 and lasts for 30 minutes to 1 hour but they also offer "extra service" for tourists, mostly the japanese and korean menfolk. they don't have the famous "acquariums" found in south east asia where you can pick the masseuses at beyond an acquarium style glass but still they offer the "extra service" that willing tourists indulge.

they are open 24 hours a day and 7 days a week and offer room service to your hotel room. the masseuses are a blend of japanese, korean, chinese, chamorro, filipino and the occasional blondes. prices of "extra service" costs $ 80 to $ 200 depending on the service and the number of masseuse doing the service.

you can find them along the hotel row of Pale San Vitores Road besides the usual restaurants or shops or souvenir stands.

more package rates
    • Singles

• Warning bout Bad comments on Guam!

by badapple Written Jan 28, 2010

Dont Believe these fool's that tell u guam's Bad! .... guam has so much to offer.....If U got an open mind and UR not an A$$ Guam will treat u right! Just dnt come here and think U da King! cause We Dnt Kiss A$$ here! If guam was so bad Y do so many Americans and Foreigners call guam Home???? it's Because they came here and truly appreciated the Culture and the Island.......like I said B4 these folk R over exaggerating! Crime on guam is minuet compared to any City in the UnitedState's! Pollution? out of 20 or 30 so beaches we might have 2 or 3 that R polluted,due to run off! but most R clean and safe to swim in.Expensive: aint to different than Hawaii,HongKong,tahiti,Califonia or any City that's known fro tourism.(unfriendly locals) So not true! hAve u ever bin to France? well then U realy dont know what Unfriendly folk R then! If u got a good Attitude and not act like U sumthing Special! U will find urself life long friend's.

• DANGER: Guam is a modern day third world country!

by hollayougin Written Jun 19, 2009

I have lived in guam for a little over three years, and i will be the first to tell you DO NOT GO TO THIS ISLAND! STDs, crime (assaults, burglary, and DUIs just to name a few), and price gouging on this island are ridiculous. Lady boys and men girls run rampant here. Japanese tourist come here mainly to get married and just to have a little get away from the norm since the island is so close to japan, it is like someone from the states who lives in Louisiana going to Texas. If you are going to spend two thousand dollars plus on a plane ticket, there are much nicer places to go. The Chommoro peoples slogan is "Hafa dai" (possibly wrong spelling) which means hello. Taken into english context, half-a-day, because that is all that these people believe in working. The island consist of only one MAIN road with streets off to the side. Traffic is horrendous, and at any moment a traffic accident is likely to occur. If you want to drive when you are there, rent a car and GET IT INSURED! Hospitality is that of a reletive who doesnt really like you but lets you come over just because your family. The government here is very corrupt and is ran by three major families. The Aguons, Cruz, and Chamacho families have a hand in EVERYTHING that happens on that island. Groceries and import/export companies are owned by these families. There is always someone from these families seated in there government. which means, the laws that get passed are in the favor of there families. Before 2007, it was hard to find eating establishments that would even take debit/credit cards because their facilities were not set up for that. Speed limit everywhere on the island is a pathetic 35Mph. Even with the speed limit siiting as low as it is, traffic jams still occur on the daily. If you have to move there for long term stayings, i feel for you. Please try to stay away from GTA and MCV. Both of these companies will rip you off with anything you get. I was paying 59.99 for 2.2Mbs in guam. I assumed it was the normal price. I recently moved back to the states and i am only paying 29.99 for 7.9Mbs service. If this is understandable, can someone explain it to me cause i am having a hard time understanding. Taxi cabs too are a major rip off to the people who are not there on vacation. If you want to travel the length of the island which is 16 miles, expect to pay one hundted dollars plus and to cap it off, more than an hour taxi ride because of the 35Mph speed limit.

On a new note, there is something that is due to these people. THEY CAN COOK! Red rice with fenedne is unbelievable. When you eat it, it taste like an explsion of light in your mouth... Any questions, please feel free to email me at gucci_timerland@yahoo.com

• Adventure Travel
    • Luxury Travel

• Thieves, price gouging, and corruption

by OMGLOL Written Apr 7, 2009

I've chosen to make my home on Guam for personal reasons, but this is the worst place I've ever lived. I've been to many islands, and most island people are welcoming, friendly, and charming. This place is almost hostile. No concept of hospitality, and the worst waiters and service people I've ever encountered in my life. Try taking care of business at the department of revenue and taxation - you may need a drink or a shoulder to cry on afterward.

Everything costs double, not just because goods have to be imported, but because local business have monopolies on certain industries and charge as much as they can. When first apartment hunting, I was shown $1,500-$2,000 per month apartments so run-down and nasty that I've seen better section 8 housing stateside. This is because all property owners automatically set their base rents at military housing allowance, which is a ridiculously high $1,700. Try renting a decent (one that isn't filthy and will not get broken into) apartment on a regular salary - yeah, not gonna happen. Oh, and if you like air-conditioning (who doesn't when it's 90 degrees outside 90% of the year?), prepare to pay $400 or more per month for a single family home.

I've lived in big, major metropolitan areas, cities people associate with crime. I had never been robbed - until I got to Guam. I was robbed on Guam twice in two years. And when I say robbed, I mean "inside jobs." Staff at the hotel and apartment where I stayed had access to my rooms (duh, they're staff). One day, after a short stay off island, I came home to find everything gone - even my freaking tennis shoes. When the cops came, I pointed out empty beer cans that weren't mine (yeah, the thieves made themselves right at home). Perhaps they should take them for prints....they LAUGHED. The police LAUGHED AT ME because GUAM HAS NO FINGERPRINT DATABASE OR FORENSIC LAB OF ANY KIND.

People still abuse/ignore stray animals and enjoy cock-fighting here. The island's only pound is disgusting and in disrepair (have you been to the SPCA on Oahu? It's like a hotel). Guam's situation with animals is 40 years or more behind most developed nations.

If you get sick on Guam, you are screwed. Basically, if you go into Guam Memorial Hospital for an emergency, chances are you won't come out alive. The GMH emergency room entrance looks like a triage unit for an army doing ground warfare in the middle east. The parking lot is packed 24/7 (when I say "packed" I mean, cars have to park all the way down the street and into a residential area). Why? Because people who have no money or insurance use it as a clinic - because they know they can't be turned away. That's right - they just don't give a damn. They don't care that people with real emergencies may suffer because they caught a cold and don't want to pay for the treatment. Oh, did I mention the hospital is not approved by stateside medical organizations? And that some of its former directors have been accused/convicted of theft and selling prescriptions?

And based on news of late, it looks like our next governor will either be a nepotistic thief of a murdering thief. No, I am not speaking in metaphors - the locals will know what I'm talking about.

Most locals will start getting a rope ready to hang you if you spoke of any of this (elephant in living room stuff) in public. It's because most have never lived any where else for an extend period of time, although more Chamorros live off island than on island (gee I wonder why). And they're really sensitive. Anyway, I'm here to stay, for a while anyway. And I smile and welcome everyone and try to be good island representative and try to pretend like this place isn't going to hell in a hand-basket.

Advice: Shop at Cost-u-less; Other grocery stores, especially Payless, charge double or triple cost-u-less. Kmart may be the only place you can find what you need, but it's not like stateside k-marts - they are (I can't believe I'm saying this about Kmart) EXPENSIVE. They take advantage of us because they're the only place. If you have access to the stores on base, go. Get an ebay account if you don't already have one. Use it, love it, and never let it go. I saw something at Micropac (electronics store that RAPES its customers because they are sole distributor for certain popular electronics products) selling for $400 that I got on ebay for $75!!!!!! THE SAME DAMN THING - only mine was a NEWER MODEL!!!! If people here think they can separate you from your money, they will. You must demand lower prices everywhere you go - including the power authority, phone companies, cell phone companies, etc. Don't be ashamed. The service is so damn bad, we should get discounts for that alone!

• Guam is GodAwful

by seawitchfromsaipan Written Mar 27, 2008

Hi After spending six months on Guam I learned a lot. First of all, behind the facades of the beautiful hotels hygiene is terrible. I saw the feast displayed on buffets for Sunday brunch from behind the scenes, cooked food was placed on the floors in the halls for servers to pick up to place on trays, dishes are wiped clean with dirty rags because the water pressure is low. So beware of where and what you eat.
    Guam is populated by very poor people, this is a slum island most people have slum or ghetto mentalities but if you are not from their culture you won't recognize it until you realize your girlfriend steals ashtrays from peoples houses and will eventually teach your children that stealing is ok. Girls from the slums make men feel great and the islanders have no respect for marriage. They see a man from The Mainland through eyes with dollar bills signs ringing up their best financial opportunity.
    The architecture is 60's slums, the hotels are pretty but it is true that one or two were not earthquake or typhoon proof. Standard of living is so low that lower middle class homes look really good on Guam. Not many good shops if you want anything other than perfume or designer scarves.
    The police on Guam are notorious for being very brutal. Excessive force is common. Divorces on Guam will favor locals so if you and your spouse want a divorce don't divorce on Guam, the adulterer usually has a local squeeze and the judge favors the party with a local adulterer.
    Forget law, I attempted to withdraw money from a joint bank account before my divorce on Guam and the bank refused to release the money. Women on Guam are very jealous and devious.
    Health care on Guam is quite poor, if you are very sick leave the island to be seen in a hospital at Hawaii or St. Lukes in Manila or go to Tokyo.
    Military Wives on Guam live in misery, mucho gossip, no privacy, dog pile politics, dirty laundry, crime on base, few activities available and it is a long way home.
    The schools on Guam are inferior to any in any part of the world, so are the teachers and the principals. Jobs are awarded to relatives of the politicians and for those who make large campaign contributions.
    There are few friendly people on Guam.
    Transmitting STD's seems to be the local sport. I was lucky to get away from my spouse before
    I contracted the health problems his girlfriend gave h im. Another big trick is for women to get pregnant on Guam then get married or to conceal children they had when they were teenagers from a future spouse.
    The beaches are polluted. Raw seage is dumped into the beach area from hotels, the roads aren't banked, there are frequent power outages, tap water from the fawcet might not ever be more than a trickle, don't drink it, garbage pick up is usually non existent and there are many burglaries.
    Culture is non existent on Guam, there are not any museums, the Chamorro culture on Guam is not Chamorro, the most authentic Chamorro culture are on Saipan on Rota. There are no theaters, no concerts, no art galleries, no good newspapers (free speech is limited by publishers who have other priorities), the beaches are seriously and dangerously polluted, single women are not safe, single men will be approached by very available partners (at least in Amersterdam they are tested). Children will have no educational stimulation or activities.
    Guam is Great for Loosers who can't make it in the Mainland USA.
    It is better to visit Saipan

• Spa and Resort

• Chamorro are pussies. Guam is ***. Avoid the fags

by petesamforsally Written Feb 7, 2008

DANGER!!! Guam is a place for cheap ass holes that think they are saving their family a little money for a bunch of Chamorro that do not appreciate ***, hell they smell like ***. They are rude and think they are better than “actual” Americans. I lived there for a couple of year and they would wine like little pussy babies about how they wanted America to leave. I would tell them all the time they would get over run by Japan or something and they would get angry and try fighting. I would have to beat their asses and the wining would start back. Trust me. Avoid Guam at all cost.

• Guam is a horrible place

by whatever11 Written Dec 30, 2007

Guam is a third world ghetto. I have NOT found the locals to be the least bit nice to non-islanders. This island is about 15-20 years behind any modern country. There is graffiti, abandoned cars, abandoned buildings and trash almost everywhere you go. If you are coming here for two weeks to stay on the "strip"( where the hotels are) then you might enjoy yourself if you enjoy shopping at high end stores and staying on the beach the entire time.(Caution for the beaches-they are, for the most part, polluted.) I would highly recommend Bali or Bora Bora over this place any day.
    Caution to those of you who are thinking about moving here or PCSing here, this place is a NIGHTMARE! keep in mind its 15+ years behind modern times....Anyone who has very positive reviews has either stayed here for less than two weeks, came to Guam from a less fortunate country, or enjoys the lazy, "laid back", I don't care attitude of the locals.
    Not all of the locals are this way... just 95% of them......

• Luxury Travel

• Travel2write's Profile Photo

Storm drain water

by Travel2write Written Jun 9, 2007

I don't think this isn't a problem on almost any island that has a good sized population. Common sense say's that if there is a river or drainage area close to where you are swimming, be advised with stong rains, there is potential for polluted runoff from cars and the streets.

Not a big problem, but something to be aware off.

Storm drain warning
    • Adventure Travel
    • Diving and Snorkeling
    • Beaches

• Travel2write's Profile Photo

Do not take nature home with you!

by Travel2write Written Jun 4, 2007

The inner tidal zones and reefs of Guam are protected especially at Asan Beach.

1. Do not take any aquatic animals (To include FISH, shellfish, starfish or even coral)

2. Any type of fishing, shell collecting or even the romoval of sand and rock is prohibited.

Warning sign at ASAN Beach

• thechels's Profile Photo

beware sea life and geckos

by thechels Updated May 29, 2007

I have actually witnessed people jumping into the ocean in relatively shallow waters and landing on sea urchins... watch out for these also... sea cucumbers will spit there guts out and if it gets onto your "gear" or self... what a gooey mess to deal with!

Gecko's are every where!!! Granted not in the ocean, they ARE everywhere else, it seems!They will drop for doorways, etc... just deal with it... along with the jungle mosquitos.

• False Review about Guam!!!

by mjh777 Written May 9, 2007

am a native of Manhattan and have found Guam to be one of the coolest places I've visited. I've gone to many places, but have not found a culture as hospitable. Please keep in mind that Guam has been inhabited by alot of outsiders. I know if you met the true Guamanians, you would love them.

As for the person who wrote up the most negative and insulting review I have ever read...SHAME ON YOU!

You talk about taxpayers wasting their money on Guam, but did you know their land was taken away from them just so our military can have a venue for war games and refueling. Yes, Guam has played a major role in your safety.

Stop insulting a place you know nothing about. You sound like a bigot.

• Avoid Guam ! GUAM SUCKS !

by GuamSucks Written Mar 10, 2007

DANGER ! Guam Sucks ! Guam is the worst place to visit. The pictures of Guam look pretty, but Guam is really a third world ghetto! The beaches are polluted with sewage ! The local sewage treatment plant is badly neglected. The raw sewage flows right into the water and down to the tourist beaches. Sometimes you can even smell it and see the toilet paper in the water.
    The locals hate the tourists and will do anything they can get away with. There are plenty of beatings, robberies and rapes on the tourists. The whole economy is geared towards fleecing the tourists. The obvious hate that the locals have poisons every human interaction with them.
    If you come to Guam, you will feel it too. The locals consider the abuse on the tourists as a joke, and something to brag about. You will sit in a restaurant and wait and wait and wonder if the rude waitress is doing something really bad to your food. As you groan on the dirty toilet in your overpriced hotel room, you will know that she did do something bad to your food ! Don't go to the hospital, it is the worst place to go, you are sure to die there ! The word nightlife really means strip clubs, which are also whorehouses. There is very little to do at night except strip clubs, and you better go with a buddy. AIDS and all other diseases are very common here. Most local people refuse to get tested, and don't get treatment, it's a denial thing. The Guam government is very corrupt and the American taxpayer's money is going into some politician's pocket. Very little of the money is actually spent on it's intended purpose. The local schools are a nightmare. The police force is very corrupt. Drug use is common even among the police and school bus drivers. The locals appear friendly, but that is so they can take advantage of you!
    I have lived in Guam in the local community for three years. I know many of the locals and interact with them daily. I beg you to please take my advice and visit someplace better. I can honestly say that my life on Guam has been pure HELL !

• Water Sports

• Myth of Guam's Brown Tree Snakes

by uf83ds91 Updated Feb 4, 2007

Though there are brown tree snakes on the island, they are afraid of you as much as we are afraid of them. Unless you are out and about boonie stomping at night and sticking your hand under logs, you probably won't run into one. They will leave their lair if it gets wet and cold looking for a warm dry spot. No, they are not crawling all over the place, which a friend's wife was told to believe, and because of her fear, she never came to see her husband here. Even local residents don't see them as often as the media or documentaries seem to portray.

If you hear about snakes crawling in peoples homes it is because most of the ones reported are homes built in jungle or boonie type locations that are not developed residential areas. These homes are wooden and tin structures that are not necessarily sealed properly.

Bottomline, there are all kinds of snakes in the southeastern United States, but they are not readily or easily visible daily. It is no different in Guam.

Guam Hotels

Sinajana Hotels
1 Hotel

Instant Answers: Guam

• Dec 24, 2013 at 4:10 PM

I read this trashy book before moving to Guam, it's crude but after living here awhile I found out that its pretty accurate. amazon.com/Gallivanting-Guam...

• Sep 19, 2013 at 12:59 AM

I'm amazed on how loathsome and disparaging are the comments on this site. I'm not disputing all negative comments made about Guam, just the ones that are seriously, down-right ***in' ridiculous. Even a simple-minded twit would at least do some research before traveling to a new place; and I would like to think that a simple-minded twit wouldn't bad mouth an entire group of people from a few bad experiences. A lot of these nasty comments can be said about places, or should say considered FACT about places all over the world including the "wonderful" United States. It's also so ***in' ironic how majority of the comments posted about Guam reference that the 'locals are uneducated'---vast majority of the statements on here are so completely ignorant, it's a clear display of the intelligence level of those that are spouting them. If you're accustomed to metropolitan areas, road-trips, high-end amusement parks, the changing of the seasons, shopping at mainstream department stores, driving over 50 mph, that yield-on-green-then-go-when-safe-to-do-so type ***----Guam is not for you. Every single negative, insulting comment I've read on here, I can state with a FACT that I have experienced at least numerous times in the different places I've traveled to in the states, from South Carolina to Georgia, Missouri, Louisiana, Texas, Arizona and California---YES, I visited these places. I spent most of my time stateside in Texas and traveled all over the state. However, I wasn't an idiot and decided that I didn't like Houston because I thought it to be more horrendous than San Antonio or Abilene. Speaking from my own experience, being born and raised on the island, Guam has the lowest crime rate for a tiny island that is so densely populated. Seeking employment is challenging because the job market is much more competitive in a place that is land locked (think about it). The Chamorro people have a lot of pride and know when they are being looked down upon or when some stupid 'state-sider' is making some nasty judgments about their island because it isn't up to par with their 'standards'. Just because Guam is a U.S territory and the locals speak English, don't treat it, view it or EXPECT it to be like any other suburb of the United States. The Chamorros are not the uneducated-idiots you think they are; they know an *** when they see one and will treat he or she accordingly.

• Aug 15, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Be smart. Anyone can write a comment. Don't believe everything you read online. Many of the warnings and negative comments here are things that apply anywhere in the world. Also, it is never accurate or fair to use blanket statements about any place or group of people. Anyone who has matured emotionally past adolescence knows this. I've lived in Texas, California, S. Korea, Japan, Philippines, and Guam and it's the same everywhere. There are jerks everywhere. There is crime everywhere. Do your research before you go anywhere and learn how to be safe.

• Jul 22, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Okay, because everyone is SO damn perfect that they get to talk *** about Guam. Guam is different from your "state side" life. That's why people go here. There are numerous, beautiful beaches you can go to that are only a few minutes away. Yes, everything is costly and the islanders suffer from that. But they manage just fine and work hard. People focus on the unemployed, but no one cares to mention the hard working people that break their backs daily to make a living. It's a small island. Everyone knows everyone and they're all family. The people of Guam are very hospitable if you give them a chance. If that wasn't your experience, then you probably had it coming. The Chamorro culture is based primarily on respect. They get very defensive when it comes to outsiders looking down on them, thinking they're better than everybody. And big deal, some douche bag Magellan guy who disturbed Guam's peace and named it "The Island of Thieves." That was almost 500 years ago. You will find thieves everywhere. People make it sound as if you can't walk out your door step without something getting stolen. Guam is such a small, tight-knit island that murders are rare and the crime rate is low. The point is, every place has pros and cons. If you focus on the negativity like an arrogant, pessimistic ***, then you obviously won't have a good time. But if you surround yourself with wonderful people in a great place, Guam will be a paradise.

• May 10, 2013 at 12:44 AM

The truth about Guam. I think that both the positive and negative really need to be explored when talking about Guam. First, come prepared and know what you're getting yourself into... that means either knowing someone here or finding a way to get the locals to like you, I did the second.

So let's talk about the seedy side of Guam, yes, it's hugely corrupt and you're an outsider, so you'll get screwed just for that reason alone. I have had to pay double for stuff like towing (after getting run over by one of Guam's notoriously bad drivers). The locals do think that you owe them respect, that you should be deferential to them, and are extremely proud of their culture. That said, a little deference goes a LONG, LONG way. Once you have established yourself as not being the typical "Haole", the people here will go out of their way to help you avoid much of the non-sense that others are forced to deal with, and that others report below. Yes, there is a lot of things that are less than optimal about Guam, Dept of Taxation (aka DMV), the social security office, and the local police registration section are among some of the places that are a PITA to deal with. Yes, Guam is full of overweight, undereducated, and unproductive people and enjoys an unemployment rate of 14%. It sometimes seems like the whole population is on public assistance at times, but if you look a little harder you'll find that there are beautiful women (who are not strippers) that are educated, physically attractive, and employed.

Sounds pretty horrible, and it would be, if it were not for the actual beauty of Guam and the way you get treated once you get past the bravo and BS. Guam is gorgeous, my back yard is a beautiful view of Pago Bay, I live in a gorgeous house (for $2200 per month), and my commute to work is a predictable 10 mins every day. This was by design, and I was quite deliberate in finding something off the beaten path. My power, internet, cell phone, and water have been generally reliable. It's a modern take on 3rd world living to be sure, but, I live in a great area near needed resources and away from most problems associated with living in more populated areas. It's 80F every single day. Swimming in the ocean at Gab Gab is like swimming in someone's aquarium, just unbelievable.

I have no dog in the fight here about Guam, but I have found a way to make it fun. You can stay relatively safe, secure, comfortable, and not constantly taken advantage of in Guam. I have been in Guam now for 8 months, and it's been pretty good to me. Invest the time in making it work for you, and it can, if you expect it to be like your home town you'll be disappointed, if you expect it to be completely different and approach it as a foreign country you'll do far better.

Guam Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Guam warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Guam sightseeing.
Map of Guam