Tourist Attractions in Independant State of Samoa

Most Viewed Tourist Traps in Independant State of Samoa

• KoalaB's Profile Photo

Getting around

by KoalaB Written Aug 31, 2014

If you're going to use the taxi's ALWAYS find out their price before you accept. Umming and ahring a bit does help - amazing how quickly the price comes down! There is actually a price guide in the local phone book in your hotel/resort room.

Fun Alternatives: The alternative is to hire a car - do read the reviews on the different hire car company's!

• KoalaB's Profile Photo

The Beaches

by KoalaB Written Aug 30, 2014

Most of the coast of Samoa is rocky and good swimming beaches are few and far between. However having said that we did go to one at Lalomalava which was beautiful, but it was still a bit rocky underfoot. I don't really think I would describe this as a trap though!

Fun Alternatives: The alternative is of course stay at the resort pool but that's no fun!

• Beaches

• PFC75's Profile Photo

Polynesian Tattoo

by PFC75 Written Aug 26, 2011

Getting a Samoan Tattoo

Unique Suggestions: I got a Samoan Tattoo whilst there. I mentioned my interest to one of the hotel staff he then offered to take me to a tattooist in Apia.

This was fine . Firstly you will pay over the odds for your tattoo and make sure you have US Dollers its easier. Secondly once I had had the tattoo done and was on my way back to the hotel with the samoan guy from the hotel he asked for payment aswell stating he needed it for his family his dad was ill etc etc.

I had no problem with this if it was true or not and gave him some US Dollers as he had helped me out but just be aware if someone offers help it may not be for free

Fun Alternatives: Obviously you could find a tattooist for yourself

My Samoan Tattoo My Samoan Tattoo My Samoan Tattoo My Samoan Tattoo

• JohnAndDanielle's Profile Photo

Southern Coast of Savai'i

by JohnAndDanielle Written Apr 6, 2005

Please also refer to the "warnings" section..

Just about everything we did along the southern aost was a rip off. There are almost no signs telling you where anything is and there are multiple fees along the way to EACH sight.
    THE BLOW HOLES:
    We rented a car and followed a map to the star. We arrived at the village entrance and payed fee ($2ST each), continued along a rough road...arrived at a tiny fale where we had to pay another $10ST "to see the blowholes", then continued toward them, arrived at another set of fales with another sign for $5ST "to park for the bowholes"! By now we were roped into paying again because it is was either pay or leave your car in the road, and you have to pass this to turn around. It was low tide to there was nothing to see at the blowholes...It was as if they just set up fales along the say and charged tolls. And if you don't complete the path, you have just wasted your money.
    MOSO'S FOOTPRINT:
    We went to the canopy walkway first and payed $20 ST each, which was to include Moso's footprint and the House of Rocks. There is a tiny sign (which we passed about 5 times while looking for it) . We arrived and parked on the road. Expecting something worth our trip out there, a boy lets us into his yard. Must have been a tiny giant! We laughed histerically that this was on the map! John taked out his camera in disbelief...a woman yells from her fale "$5ST to take pictures!!$5TALA!)
    We didn't even bother to go to the house of rocks, which we ended up passing later in the trip..yes, it was a pile of rocks....

Unique Suggestions: Go with the green turtle.

Fun Alternatives: You can see more impressive things by just pulling over on the side of the road.
    Be aware that you will be on village property, but there are many places where noone will see you.

We were driving down a really boring road for a while, with long brush on both side, suddenly I saw a break in the brush. We pulled over and walked through to the water...AMAZING sea arches, and noone was around (tourists or Samoans) . To be on the edge with noone around was exhilerating, peaceful, scarey, fun, exciting, etc..we could not have paid for that experience!

• FelixB's Profile Photo

Expensive taxi trips

by FelixB Written Jul 28, 2004

My trip was actually booked with a transfer from the airport to the hotel. But after arriving there was no-one there to pick us up. A guy from Aggie Grey's, my hotel, said that we should pick a taxi, although I was pretty sure he was there to pick us up. Anyway...
    The taxi drivers tend to charge you 60 Tala on a trip to Apia. I was told that it's way too much.
    Airport-Apia trips cost 30-40 Tala, not more.

Unique Suggestions: Before getting in to a taxi always negotiate the fare.

Fun Alternatives: Busses are much cheaper, but they don't run 24/7 and are much slower than taxis.

• Business Travel

• Teuila's Profile Photo

If youre after local...

by Teuila Written Sep 24, 2002

If youre after local arts\crafts or souveneirs try not to buy from souveneir or hotel shops, it can be sometimes up to 50% or higher than buying from the market!
    The markets in Samoa are very cheap and you can practically get any Samoan craft.
    At the market, try not to carry large notes ie $50 or $100 notes.

• Andra1981's Profile Photo

It's always good to have...

by Andra1981 Updated Sep 16, 2003

It's always good to have contacts - this helps when someone tries to rip you off eg paying to much on an item or even for the taxi rides.

Independant State of Samoa Hotels

South Coast, Maninoa Village, PO Box 3684, Apia, Upolu, Samoa

Satisfaction: Very Good

Good for: Business

• Insel Fehmarn Hotel

This hotel has a relatively interesting history which I encourage you to read if you happen to stay...

Top Independant State of Samoa Hotels

Vaitele Hotels
See nearby hotels
Apia Hotels
18 Reviews - 29 Photos

Instant Answers: Independant State of Samoa

Comments

Independant State of Samoa Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Independant State of Samoa tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Independant State of Samoa sightseeing.
Map of Independant State of Samoa