Nouméa Warnings and Dangers

• USE A RELIABLE MOSQUITO AND INSECT REPELLANT
    USE A RELIABLE MOSQUITO AND INSECT...
    by DennyP

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Nouméa

• minstrel74's Profile Photo

Really expensive taxis

by minstrel74 Written Dec 9, 2004

Be very careful about taking taxis into town from the airport. Although I was unable to verify this by taking one myself, word was that they charged about $80 just to get to the airport from Tontouta Airport. I took a bus and got a pretty good deal. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Buses are the way to go in town.

• salisbury3933's Profile Photo

Sundays in Noumea

by salisbury3933 Written Jul 26, 2007

Apart from the touristy areas of Anse Vata and Baie Du Citrons, there's nothing much open in Noumea on Sundays.

Just about everything in central Noumea is closed. That includes all restaurants and the supermarket. McDonalds is about all that is actually open.

• lou31's Profile Photo

Fast cars!

by lou31 Updated Aug 30, 2004

Not much appreciation for the speed limit! And they drive on the wrong side! One of our party of four had a very close call while crossing the street. Dont trust the pedestrian crossings either. Some drivers slow down a bit for you but dont take it for granted you are safe to cross. Picture coming soon.

• Beaches

• DennyP's Profile Photo

ALWAYS CARRY A RELIABLE MOSQUITO REPELLANT

by DennyP Written Jan 14, 2012

USE A RELIABLE MOSQUITO AND INSECT REPELLANT

NEW CALEDONIA
    When travelling here in these lovely Islands Always make sure that you are carrying AND using a reliable mosquito repellant. Anywhere in the Pacific Islands and also these tropical areas it is imperative to use a good repellant . A long sleeve shirt and trousers are , I beleive good advice in the evenings and make sure that all exposed skin is covered with Mosquito Repellant.. Malaria and Dengue Fever are prevelant in so many different areas here it pays to be safe. See your doctor for up to date advice on any neccesary medication or innoculations that you may need when travelling in tropical regions well before your departure time.!!.

• National/State Park
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Photography

• drmjalba's Profile Photo

Unexpectedly, Taken Prisoner by Caledonians

by drmjalba Updated May 27, 2009

She knew about me that I would be arriving. I knew nothing about her, instead. And, suddenly, I was taken prisoner from the very moment of arriving on the airport. She asked me over the phone: Where I would go? In what hotel? And helpful people were planted on my way toward "Auberge de Jeunesse" to be sure that I will easily find the way and to help me to find the right transportation.
    I strongly protested. Tired, I fell asleep in the hotel.
    When I woke up, I went to the receptionist, who told me that a lady wanted information about me and is not sure what to do. I told the receptionist to deliver that information; at that moment, she came out of the shadow and told me that she wanted to meet me and to talk to me in person. I invited her in my room. She brought me a thermometer and told me to report to her over her cell phone twice a day.
    I protested against this useless and senseless pretense. Why should I take my temperature if I am completely healthy? She strongly warned me that I do not have another chance than to comply. If not, she would come and capture me, and I do not have any chance to oppose or to hide, because all of the Pacific police is on her side. I could do nothing, but to comply for five days. My trip schedule was partially distroyed.
    But, who was she? She was the head of the epidemiologic surveillance service of the government of New Caledonia, performing her duties during an epidemic of swine flu, that hit New York City, my place of departure.

• Reviled's Profile Photo

Learn French or take someone who can!

by Reviled Written Aug 21, 2007

Your life in Noumea and your holiday will be made so much easier if you or someone with you can speak French, because even though everyone in New Caledonia apparantly learns how to speak english at school, the results seem to indicate otherwise, either they can all speak english and none of them want to, or the majority of them seriously can not speak or understand english. I had a very difficult time even buying a packet of ciggarettes, I mean, I guess this is part of the fun of going to a different country, but it can get very tiresome very quickly.

• Scary,Filthy place

by lovalisa Written Aug 23, 2011

Noumea!
    Hey guys, i visited noumea on my pno cruise last september.Coinsidently enough we ened up being there on september 24th - new caladonean day . We went to the centre of the city, there was locals and celebrations EVERYWERE. My family & i had a horrible time. I remember walking past a little girl who was staring at me, i smiled and she growled at me !
    The streets STUNK and the locals were very unfriendly.
    We went into a duty free casio shop and a gang of big,coloured (sorry im not racist) , men followed us to the door and stood there waiting for us to walk out. We stayed in there for a good half and hour to avoid them. They had face masks on and something shoved under there black jackets. We were in a pack of 10 people so if your planning on going dont go in a small number of people. There was a homeless man holding a knife who was sitting in the gutter- no joke!
    I'am a 14 year old girl and it was a very scary place to be.
    A homeless women came up to us and shoved a twistie packet in out face that was half aten , wanting us to buy it for 5 australia dollars. :l
    I think we might have gone to the dirty,slum areas thoguh, and towards the ends of the day we went over to the island part and had a very nice time overlooking the coves and beaches.
    I dont reccomend going there-unless you want to get mugged.

Instant Answers: Nouméa

• Sep 13, 2013 at 9:38 PM

I have been travelling to Noumea for 20 years and find most of the comments on this page laughable. Some people should never leave home. It is a very safe and friendly place. However this trip I am appalled at the noise coming ALL NIGHT EVERY NIGHT from the nightclubs in Anse Vata. I believe it is the same in Baie des Citrons. Why the hotels allow this to happen is beyond me. I have learned from experience to travel with earplugs - thank goodness. However, I think it is an insult to tourist who pay good money for hotel rooms to be subjected to this.

My warning - Noumea is marvellous - just be careful to avoid hotels in Anse Vata and Baie des Citrons.

• Mar 19, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Just the opposite experience...We loved Noumea! We found main town clean, the people friendly and marvelled at the beautiful vistas I'm sorry that others here had such a negative time. We did go with a private guide and I think that makes all the difference.

Nouméa Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Nouméa warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Nouméa sightseeing.