Places to eat in Auckland

Most Viewed Restaurants in Auckland

• kiwi's Profile Photo

Dantes Pizzeria: VPN accredited Pizzeria

by kiwi Updated Apr 21, 2014

UNDOUBTEDLY THE BEST PIZZAS IN TOWN!
    This little treasure is found in the suburb of Ponsonby, inside a renovated complex block of shops. Dantes is AVPN verified, and one of only a few hundred in the world.
    Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana.
    Complying with the authentic ingredients and cooking method, you can find exquisite Napoletan pizzas. Ingredients imported from Italy, and woodfired ovens giving the perfect results. Indeed a very enjoyable experience, highly recommended.
    The restaurant is small, with only 2 or 3 small tables, dealing mostly with takeout orders.
    Locals order here on a regular basis, in this upmarket part of town.

My friends and I ate here outside the restaurant, and took in the ambience and enjoyed the delicious pizzas and Italian wine.

Favorite Dish: My favourite is an old favourite: PIZZA MARGUERITE

Napoletan pizza Dantes Pizzeria VPN Woodfired oven

• worldkiwi's Profile Photo

Sand Dunz Beach Cafe: The best coffee on the west coast!

by worldkiwi Written Mar 23, 2013

Sand Dunz is located in Muriwai Beach Village, on Auckland's rugged and stormy west coast. Just a short stroll from the surfing beach, Sand Dunz makes great coffee and serves all day breakfasts. They do takeaways with the usual menu of burgers and chips. Make sure you take a look at the fantastic photos of dramatic Muriwai on the walls inside.

Favorite Dish: Coffee!

Sand Dunz Beach Cafe, Muriwai, Auckland, NZ.
    • Beaches
    • Surfing

• al2401's Profile Photo

Brick Lane: Save the best til last!

by al2401 Written Sep 1, 2012

We had just finished a road trip of 4,250 kilometres. We were staying out of town and there was nothing close to our accommodation. We had a 'mud map' with various places like Lone Star and even MacDonalds on it as well as this name so we thought we would try it.

This is a classy place - lovely decor with artefacts and relics from an old pottery - hence the name Brick Lane. The feel of the restaurant is quiet elegance but casual.

The service is very good and the food excellent.

As we were leaving I asked one of the staff about the buses into Auckland and she was very helpful. After a wet day at home we decided to go back to Brick Lane - the same girl was on the desk and not only did she remember me she asked how the bus ride was! That's what I call a welcome.

Favorite Dish: First meal.
    We started with Sourdough bread with Garlic Butter beautiful bread and a good serve of garlic in the butter. I chose a sirloin steak with a brandy/peppercorn sauce; chips and salad for main but unfortunately they had run out of sirloin - they offered the beef eye fillet cooked the same way - delicious! Mum had the Lamb Shank in a rosemary/red wine sauce on mashed potato which she enjoyed.

Day 2
    I had Fish of the Day which was Terakhi served with a lime butter sauce and with a side of Prawns -incredible!; and Mum had the Smoked Chicken Fettuccine.

This was our last meal out in New Zealand and it was one of the best!

There are 5 dishes here, so for prices please check out the menu on the website.

• Martialsk's Profile Photo

Urban Soul Cafe: Quality find out in the Suburbs!

by Martialsk Written Apr 16, 2012

Voted as one of the best cafés in Auckland by the Café Magazine and Metro Magazine, I can see why. Lovely decor, clean, modern with polite and friendly staff, a brief coffee stop or a lenghty lunch always works at this place.
    The meals have always been very good and swiftly served and the coffees excellent. They also have an impressive tea collection.
    Always a good experience.

Favorite Dish: I've had several option from pastries to salads and light lunches and they've all been excellent.

• rabbit06's Profile Photo

Origins Restaurant & Bar: Maybe you'll have a better experience??

by rabbit06 Updated Oct 22, 2011

Over the years we have been to this restaurant quite a number of times as it is the nearest to our home and to be perfectly honest are never in a hurry to go back. Thought we would give another try for lunch on this occasion, had not been here for quite some time, we were hungry and had the boys to feed.
    On entering it had not changed much, still an inviting, pleasant looking bar and restaurant with only a handful of diners lunching. Once we finally found a waitress who tried to seat us where it was a little dark but closer for her and not by the windows as is a feature on their web site, we had a table by the sunny window....YA! Then came time to order the drinks, OMG she (the waitress) did not even know which lager beers were on the tap....wtf?? Rabbit was thirsty therefore settled for a draught beer! Well you can imagine how the rest of lunch went with the highly trained waitress (not)......... Sorry should not be so hypocritical but this is so typical of our dinning experience's we've come to expect from this restaurant!

Favorite Dish: As we were not told of any lunch specials we had the overpriced beer battered fish & chips NZ $23.00 whlie the boys went for Bacon Burger NZ $20.00 with which they prefered Rabbit's Burger's hot off his BBQ and the fish look's better in the photo...... You decide ??

Outside it look
    • Beer Tasting

• rabbit06's Profile Photo

Wongkok Cafe & Bar: Delicious Chinese Food!

by rabbit06 Updated Oct 2, 2011

Nothing flash here but you can get yourself some great Chinese food at reasonable prices!

Favorite Dish: Well Rabbit had most of his favourites, sizzling beef, mandarin squirrel fish, green beans with pork mince......fantastic!

Outside Sizzling Beef! Squirrel Shaped Mandarin Fish This is very nice!
    • Business Travel

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Angie's Kitchen: Cheap, honest, satisfying, friendly

by Kakapo2 Updated Apr 12, 2011

I discovered this little place when staying at Quest on Mount, a side street between Symonds and Wakefield Streets, just a two minutes walk from near the southern end of Queen Street.

The location near the University of Auckland, and surrounded by student apartments, already gives a hint that this is a restaurant with very affordable food, if not to say: cheap food.

But the best of all: It is also great food. Great Malaysian food. Don't get fooled by the name Angie. There is nothing western about the food or the place.

There weren't a lot of comprehensive explanations of the dishes on the menu, so I just chose something I thought could be right. The waitress said she did not think I had made a great choice LOL So I told her that I was in the mood of eating thick rice noodles with meat in a thickish dark sauce . She made a recommendation, and the food was fabulous.

I had also ordered garlic roti. This was sooo delicious that I could be tempted to order it as starter, main and dessert!

As the restaurant is unlicensed there is no selection of expensive drinks available, so dinner is even cheaper.

Open Sun - Fri 11.30am - 9.30pm.

Angie's Kitchen in Mount Street.

• Charlotte121's Profile Photo

Rice: Design and good food

by Charlotte121 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Gorgeous restaurant with great food, drinks and design. The menu is an international twist but mostly Asian. I always made a reservation online before I even got on the plane to New Zealnd.

Favorite Dish: Chicken jungle curry.

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Pie Mania: Award winning pies in central Auckland

by SWFC_Fan Updated Apr 4, 2011

Pie Mania is an award-winning pie shop in downtown Auckland.

It is located on Wellesley Street West, just a few minutes off the main city centre thoroughfare of Queen Street, and just a few minutes walk from Auckland Sky Tower.

The shop offers a staggering array of pies and was voted "Auckland's Best Pies" by Metro magazine. It also earned rave reviews from Lonely Planet.

I ate here one afternoon during my visit to the city in May 2006, sitting at the windowside table inside the shop. The majority of customers buy their pies to take away.

The vast choice of flavours includes:

Steak: steak, steak and kidney, steak and mushroom, steak and cheese;

Mince: savoury mince, mince and cheese, mince, cheese and bacon, mince potato top, mince and gourmet potato;

Chicken: chicken and vegetables, curry chicken, chicken, sweetcorn and cheese;

Assorted: minted lamb, bacon and egg, smoked fish;

International: Irish stew, Mediterranean lamb, Thai chilli beef, Mad Mexican, Tandoori, butter chicken, chicken and drunken mushroom;

Vegetarian: vegetable, chilli bean and cheese, spinach and feta cheese;

Fruit: spicy apple, apple and blueberry, apple and blackberry, apple and rhubarb, apricot, peach and passionfruit.

Favorite Dish: I opted for:

Tandoori pie - Cost: 4.60 NZD

Excellent quality pieces of chicken in a mildly hot tandoori sauce. The pastry was flaky enough, but not so flaky as to fall apart and allow the filling to drip out. Great quality!! I was very impressed!

Excellent quality pies in downtown Auckland. Deserving of the awards that it has won. Highly recommended!!

Pie Mania, Auckland Pie Mania interior Pie Mania pie bag Tandoori pie at Pie Mania

• fachd's Profile Photo

Little Mexico Cantina: Mexican Food

by fachd Updated Nov 11, 2010

We decided to have dinner close to our hotel. After a few block walk we found this delightful little restaurant at Wellesley Street. We thought we were at Mexico that was our first impressions. It was decorated with authentic taste. We ordered our drink plus our meal. The drinks we had Stella Artoise and glass of Tequila Sunrise followed by Chicken Tostada and Vegetarian Burritos. The service was quick and the food taste were good but not excellent. The bill came to $63.50.

• Music
    • Museum Visits

• fachd's Profile Photo

Siam-I-Am Thai Restaurant: Thai Food

by fachd Updated Nov 9, 2010

We came here for dinner. The first came to my mind the staff were friendly. The atmosphere was relaxing and the food was good. The service were also good. The food price was comparable to Canberra but I found the wine was little bit more expensive. In general we had a relaxing time and we will come again next time we are in Auckland.

Siam-I-Am Thai Restaurant
    • Museum Visits
    • Music

• rabbit06's Profile Photo

Shanghai Restaurant: Shanghai in Auckland!

by rabbit06 Updated Jul 9, 2010

This is just like being in downtown Shanghai with attentive staff and freindly managment. The walls are decorated with plenty of large photos from Shanghai such as the bund, oriental pearl tv tower, yu garden, old Shanghai and many others. You would not beleive this is in Auckland!

Favorite Dish: Shirley just wants to eat everything as this is authentic Shanghai, the food she grew up on and just loves! me just check out that pepper sizzling beef.....just delicious!!

Hurry up! Fantastic! Authentic....YUMMY Rabbit ready for action! Doesn't get much better than this!

• fishandchips's Profile Photo

Gina's: Gina's

by fishandchips Updated May 14, 2010

Gina's is a fantastic place to go for a meal. It's lively, loud and lots of fun. The waiters are all young men and the ladies in our group were all rather taken with them. The service was good and the food great! The seats and tables are fairly basic (not built for comfort) though there is plenty of seating - groups of 2 to many are catered for.

Gina's is really popular so make sure you book!

The wine list may be a bit on the short side but this is evened out by the quality of the wine - we had a couple of bottles of vino rossa and both were good (one Italian and one from Central Otago).

Gina's is located on Symands Street - south of K Road (away from the city) and is only a couple of blocks or so from my preferred hotel - the Langham.

Favorite Dish: I shared a seafood entree, had Bodo's Speciale pizza (ham, salami, mushroom, capsicum, onions & olives) and finished with profiterols. All were very nice. My dining companions (work mates) had a mix of different dishes - all seemed very happy with their choice.

On our way out we were all given a lemoncello shot to sample - very strong & rather nice!

Inside Gina's Bodo's Speciale

• rabbit06's Profile Photo

Flourishing Cafe: Conton flavours!

by rabbit06 Updated Jan 30, 2010

This newly opened Chinese restaurant is clean, nicely decorated, with good service. A very nice freindly place to eat and make sure your hungry!
    The owner is the brother of Canton Cafe boss in Kingsland, must be in the family!

Favorite Dish: Well we had a great selection of very nice dish's from duck, tofu, various veg, noodle, fish, pork and my favourite the yummy beef!! All with a few lovelly NZ red wines and some steinlagers...nice...!!

From outside! Good service! Nice decor! Our freinds! There was plenty of food...lmao!!
    • Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

• Kate-Me's Profile Photo

Mexican Cafe: Vibrant Mexican

by Kate-Me Written Nov 22, 2009

Great interior decor (as you can see) busy ambiance with latin music (much lounder and it would have been too loud).
    Prices were around $20 for a main meal which was quite large. Lunch menu is cheaper, but we didn't realise that until we arrived and looked at the menu (the prices downstairs had had the 'lunch' part covered over, so the meals seemed cheaper at first glance than reality). If the meal had been average, we would have been upset at this, but as the food was delicious and filling, I wasn't too upset....but next time I'd opt for lunch.
    I'd give this the best decorated Mexican Restaurant I've ever come across.....there was even a little shrine set into one wall, so I imagine it was quite typically Mexican in a lot of ways.
    The bartender put on a bit of a show (a la Cocktails movie) as he mixed the drinks. This place has also won some food awards recently.

Favorite Dish: We had burritos which were quite tasty. Free nacho chips and salsa on arrival while you're waiting for your meal was good too.

nice interior decor up stairs to the cafe

Auckland Hotels

Kingsgate Hotel Parnell
Latest: Jun 11, 2014
Crowne Plaza Auckland

Instant Answers: Auckland

Comments

Auckland Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Auckland locals.
Map of Auckland