Sawadee Thai Cuisine, Auckland

Massaman Curry
    by fishandchips
    Inside Sawadee
    by fishandchips
    waitress (pic from sawadee website)
    by TomorrowsAngel
  • Sawadee Thai Restaurant: Good food, but service wasn't.

by seankaum Written Feb 26, 2012

Hi there,

A group of ten of us came over last night (26th Feb 2012) for dinner to celebrate my friend's birthday. We had a really good time and the food was delicious. While we were waiting outside for the rest of our group to finish paying for their meals, we were talking and laughing as friends would and then the staff at the counter who was taking our payments opened the door and said to us "I'll have you know that most people actually like me." She looked really offended which of course made us worry as to what has caused her to be so offended and to speak to us in such a manner. One of our friends tried to go to her to see what we had done wrong, but she shut the door on him and walked away.

This was really disappointing and it ruined our wonderfully perfect evening out with friends.

I just wanted to make sure that this staff was okay and to let her know that we are still in the dark as to why she was angry with us. I don't know if she thought that perhaps we didn't thank her, but I remember that each of us did thank her for the food and that it was great upon paying for our meals. I'm also not sure if she may have thought that we were laughing at her because we honestly were not even talking about her. We were actually laughing at some funny stories from the past that we were retelling.

It also just occurred to me now that perhaps she may have been looking for monetary tips? If that was the case, we sincerely apologise as it's not normal practice for us and some of our friends are actually poor student and wouldn't be able to afford much more than the meals that we had.

Due to this experience, I probably wouldn't dine at your restaurant again and I wouldn't recommend it to any of my friends or family.

I ended up leaving your restaurant feeling accused of doing something that I didn't do and when trying to sort things out, we were shut out off your restaurant.

I believe your staff didn't act in a professional manner and left us feeling pretty awful. If we knew at least what she thought we did wrong, then we would understand, but each of us walked away puzzled and feeling down about what had just happened. It's a real shame how a wonderful evening at your restaurant ended in such an awful way.

I just really want your staff to know what we would never say anything to her or behind her back that would deliberately hurt her feelings as that's not what we're like. I hope that she's okay, though I would recommend that she doesn't accuse any more of her staff of anything and then just walking away without further explanation as that would really drive away your customers.
    Aside from this, the food was very delicious and the atmosphere was lovely. We were the last customers to leave as we were having such a great time until we were outside your doors.
    This incident happened at about 10pm last night (26th Feb 2012).

Favorite Dish: Pad thai was delicious!

• fishandchips's Profile Photo

Sawadee Thai Cuisine: Best Thai in Auckland

by fishandchips Updated Jul 9, 2008

Inside Sawadee

Sawadee is one place to make sure you visit when in Auckland if you like Thai food. The service here is great and the selection excellent. I came here once on Halloween and the waitresses were all dressed up as Vampires & Witches. The inside of the restaurant is decorated with lots of Thai themed pictures, carvings and photos.

Once we had ordered the food came out really fast. It was really delicious and there was lots of it.

Favorite Dish: On my first visit I had the beef and chicken with veges dish and it was great. My second time here I had the Massaman Curry which was minced chicken, medium hot and with veges. Really nice.

• TomorrowsAngel's Profile Photo

Sawadee Thai Cuisine: Thai?

by TomorrowsAngel Updated Jan 27, 2004

waitress (pic from sawadee website)

Experience traditional Thai dining or enjoy the ambience of the more western-style atrium. You can either sit in little hollowed out spaces or in the atrium which is filled with beautiful Thai artwork and decoration. There is also a special function room with private bar caters for groups needs.
    The service is good considering the restaurant is always packed, and staff are polite.

Favorite Dish: We always get the mixed entree platter which has: grilled satay chicken skewers, prawn patty with Thai herbs, chicken, onion and kumura in puff pastry, vegetarian spring rolls, fried corn fritters with sweet chilli sauce and money bags with prawn, chicken and Thai Herbs
    Followed by pad pug taw hu which is stirfried fresh vegetables and tofu in a Thai sauce with crunchy onion on top. Its great served with the fresh Jasmine rice.
    Then a nice pot of Jasmine tea to round off the evening.

Instant Answers: Auckland

Comments

Hotels Near Sawadee Thai Cuisine
3.0 out of 5 stars