Skyline Gondola & Luge, Rotorua

• kiwigal_1's Profile Photo

SKYLINE GONDOLA & LUGE

by kiwigal_1 Updated Oct 18, 2004

Racing down the Luge in Rotorua

Another fun activity (great for families!) to do in Rotorua is the Gondola and Luge. There are three tracks in total to take down the side of Mt Ngongotaha.

It costs $7 for one ride but I recommend getting the $35 pass ($25 for children) which includes a gondola ride and 5 luge rides.

If you aren't adventurous enough to want to luge then you can just take the gondola ride which offers fantastic views across Rotorua. The cost is $18 for adults and $8 for children.

There is a restaurant up the top that has buffet lunches and dinners available.

• MLW20's Profile Photo

Take the Gondola up and speed down on the luge

by MLW20 Written Aug 11, 2006

On the way up in the gondola

Skyline gondola and luge is lots of fun for all ages. Take the gondola up to the top of Mt. Ngongotaha and then wait on a huge line to take one of three luge tracks down the mountain. The luge is like a toboggan on wheels. They move pretty fast on the track. A chairlift takes you back up to the top where you can get food at the cafe, check out the gift shop, try out the sky swing or go on a hike.

• Imbi's Profile Photo

skyline rides

by Imbi Written Jan 20, 2003

The second best attraction of Rotorua is skyline rides. It is just few miles away from city centre but if you miss this place than it means that you haven’t’ seen the city completely. You buy the ticket and take Gondola to go up on the mountain where you have all the activities. The rides include Gondola and Luge and Downhill Mountain Biking. There is a restaurant up there as well.

• gaizee's Profile Photo

Gondola Ride and Luge

by gaizee Updated Oct 23, 2005

View from the gondola ride

The view from the
    gondola was breathtaking, overlooking the lake and mountains. For the daring there is also a luge ride and mountain bike riding down the mountain which looks exciting. You can purchase a Gondola ride or a Gondola and luge ride package. cost of the ride is $30

• Pink-Aura's Profile Photo

Skyline Luge

by Pink-Aura Written Oct 29, 2007

The luge

Check out the luge up on Mt Ngongotaha.

Take a gondola to the top and enjoy the luge at your own pace.

Consists of 3 different tracks for all experience levels, great for a family day out.

Refresh yourself at the Cableway restaurant afterwards and enjoy the views at the top.

• MJL's Profile Photo

Luge down if you dare, I didn't

by MJL Written Mar 10, 2013

Skyline Gondola

Take a leisurely uphill Gondola ride and enjoy the extensive views of Rotorua, the surrounding lakes and geothermal areas. At the top, the thrill of the Luge, our relaxing buffet and grill restaurant, beautiful nature walks and exciting adventure activities all await you.

• worldkiwi's Profile Photo

Ride the Gondola.

by worldkiwi Written Jan 22, 2003

Skyline Gondolas in Rotorua.

Take a ride on the "Skyline" gondola and get a fine view of Rotorua and Lake Rotorua from Mount Ngongotaha. There is a cafe at the top and also the Luge - an exhilarating ride on a sled-like thing down a concrete track.

• rabbit06's Profile Photo

The Luge.......Thrilling!

by rabbit06 Updated Sep 30, 2011

Go Shirley!

This is not to missed, fun for all the family, fast or slow it's up to you with beginner, medium and fast tracks! Take the Gondola up the top of the moutain which has panoramic views and enjoy riding the Luge. Six rides including the Gondola and the chair lifts back up after each ride NZ $164.00 for a family of four. ''Higher views, wider smiles'' and if you have time there is also a restaurant.

• School Holidays

• wkcsmt's Profile Photo

Luge Ride

by wkcsmt Updated Jan 5, 2005

Luge Ride, Rotorua

First, you 'll need to take the gondola to the top of the hill. Take a good look at Rotorua from here!

There's quite a bit of activities happening up on top. My best pick is the luge ride. You control the luge only by the simple handle - release means stop, push down means go. It's looks simple, but when it comes to shape corner, you gotta watch out. Try "advance level" if you have the guts!

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Don't be a loser...be a luger

by b1bob Updated Feb 21, 2003

Me seconds before disaster

After lunch, we went to Mount Ngongataha (don't ask me how to pronounce the name of that mountain) to go down by luge (not like on the Winter Olympics, but these had wheels and you drive them sitting up). We went up the hill by cable car. I bought 4 turns on the luge. The first time, I went down very slowly to get used to the course (with many hairpin turns and a steep hill at the end). We went back up again by chair lift. The second time, I was so confident as to race Anthony and Jonathan. I ended up in second place behind Anthony but in front of Jonathan. The third time, I was determined to win. I started out well ahead of the Lambert brothers. I was Richard Petty at the Daytona 500 compared to Anthony and Jonathan who were driving like old folks in a 1965 Nash Rambler on the way to Boca Raton. Everything went all right until I approached that hill too fast. I jumped that hill which is about the same height as the first hill on the Rebel Yell (roller coaster at King's Dominion) like "the General Lee" on "The Dukes of Hazzard", only I wasn't saying "Yee-ha!" in flight, instead I was saying something like, "Oh s***!" I landed on my BOHUNKUS (Southern for rear end) without the luge. I left half my hide on Mount Ngongataha not to mention I punched a hole the size of Spartanburg, South Carolina in the seat of my britches. I'm glad I landed on those parts because if I landed on anything else I could have hurt a lot more than my pride. It was especially humiliating when even Jonathan passed me as I was regrouping from my fall. I actually was able to go get the luge, put it back on course, and ease it back in. I felt about as much like taking the fourth turn as taking up nude cactus farming because every part of my body ached and I had to make sure people didn't see that gaping hole in my britches. At that point, I officially became a retired luger.

• dimanche's Profile Photo

watch out!!!

by dimanche Written Aug 5, 2005
    yeah!

this was so fun!!!! i can't wait for a similar thing to be built in my country!! basically everyone just puts on their helmets and get ready to go down the slopes on this kart thing which is called the luge........and just experience the excitement of rushing down the hill! after one reaches the bottom, you can enjoy the ride up the hill in an open gondola. the breeze is chilling! it was good fun and both my cousin and sister actually ended up with scratches after falling out of their luges....because the slopes were too steep to handle! crickey!

• I-Believe-I-Can-Fly's Profile Photo

GONDOLA RIDE & LUGE

by I-Believe-I-Can-Fly Written Aug 19, 2004

About 5 minute drove from city center, we arrived in the gondola base. We took the gondola ride uphill, it offered a spectacular view of the town. I prefered Rotorua's gondola ride rather than the one in Queenstown. It offers more scenic ride.

There are a restaurant and gift shop up there.

They put a sky swing--a 150 foot high tower in the middle of the site. We heard people screamed up there. God, those people must try to suicide!

As for a less-adventurous peole like myself, I rode luge for about 5km track and catched the ski-chair up. Pretty nice experience!

Beginners or Advanced

by grets Written Sep 14, 2004

Never having been on a luge before ("first" number three), we decide to take the beginners run. I think that is a bit of a mistake, as although it is good fun, it is rather too slow for our liking.

Chair Lift

by grets Updated Sep 15, 2004

Having travelled the 900 metres down on the luge, you need to get the luge back up to the top again - hence the chairlift!

Luge

by grets Written Sep 14, 2004

Once at the top we hired a luge to get back down again. It is a little like a sled, but without the snow.

Instant Answers: Rotorua