Whakarewarewa Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Whakarewarewa

• John195123's Profile Photo

Traditional Song and Dance

by John195123 Written Feb 17, 2014

Favorite thing: While visiting Whakarewarewatanga, be sure to see the performances of local culture.

Now, I'm not one of those people who likes performances put on for the benefit of tourists. I'd rather come across a local ritual or event and observe instead of having a whole performance choreographed for the benefit of foreigners under the guise of preserving history and culture. It feels artificial. It's not mine to decide whether it's good or bad, but I've learned that there can be both good and bad involved in it. What's the bad? I'm not sure, exactly. I think it stems from the purpose. A "rain dance" for example, was originally, traditionally and historically intended to produce rain. Whether it did or not isn't the point, but any modern performance of the dance is just a performance, and lacks the traditional authenticity of the dance's intent. Maybe it does help maintain a link to important history and culture, and that is the good side. I suppose what I dislike is the lack of "realness," the fact that it is a performance made for visitors, and not the real thing happened upon.

The performers here at Whakarewarewa did a great job and, after Chris's tour, I left really caring about the place. Great experience.

Traditional Dance

• John195123's Profile Photo

Whakarewarewatanga

by John195123 Written Feb 17, 2014

Favorite thing: Chris is/was one of my favorite things about this place. It's been a lot time, and I don't remember all that was said to us, or every detail we learned, but I still remember Chris. I don't know if Chris is still working, but if she is, ask for her as your guide.

Chris, Our Guide. Font of Knowledge
    • Photography

Instant Answers: Whakarewarewa

Comments

Whakarewarewa Favorites

Reviews and photos of Whakarewarewa favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Whakarewarewa sightseeing.

View all Whakarewarewa hotels