Whakarewarewa Travel Guide

• Whakarewarewa
    Chris, Our Guide.
    Font of Knowledge

Whakarewarewa Things to Do

• Look at this beautiful carving

While in the Rotorua area, at Whakarewarewa visit the New Zealand Maori Arts & Crafts Institutesee Rotorua page also.e-mail reservations@maci.co.nzfax 64-7-348 3418 (24 hrs)

• Maori Workshop

This is the Maori workshop for Maori only apprentices. They take only 8 at a time. It takes years for the apprentices to learn the trade.This workshop is in part of the Maori village, and it very interesting to watch the carvings being done by the apprentice.Photo by joanj

• Marae

This is the Marae (Meeting House) that we went into for the Maori show, where they explained their culture, song and dance, and a chance to meet and talk to them.Inside there were beautiful carvings.To be able to enter the Marae, you must be respectful and leave your shoes outside on the porch.photo joanj

• Maori challenge

This is just part of the Maori challenge when we visited the Maori village.One member of our tour party was elected to be leader and accept the challenge of peace, and so allowing us to venture in to the Marae(meeting House)photo joanj

• Geysers

We are in luck, Pohutu, the largest and most spectacular of the geysers here at Whaka is in full flow when we get there. The name mean big splash in Maori. The geyser usually erups once an hour or so, so unless you are in a hurry, you should be able to time your visit with an eruption. The water sprays about 20 metres into the sky and each eruption...

• What's in a name....?

Now there's a mouthful of a name! It actually means the coming together of the war forces of Wahiao. Allegedly.

• Natural Cooking

Just as we are leaving we come across a pool in which they are cooking corn on the cob. We try some - I am surprised to find it doesn't taste - or smell - of sulphur. It is very nice indeed.

• Bubbling Mud

We also see the bubbling mud which is really quite weird. It reminds me about a book I once read - a true horror story set in amongst the geysers in Iceland. The villain tried to push the heroine into a pool of bubbling mud, and it all comes back to me as I gaze in awe at this incerdible natural phenomenon.

• Thermal activity

It is amazing to think how thin the earth's crust is around here. Quite frightening if you dwell on it. I am fascinated by the geysers. We get absolutely soaked when we happen to be downwind during an eruption.

Whakarewarewa Restaurants

• shiran_d's Profile Photo

by shiran_d Written Feb 8, 2003

Traditional Maori feast (hangi), which provides a delightful mouth watering sensation.

The unique and tantalizing Hangi combines a great tasting mixture of Kumara (sweet potato), lamb, chicken, wild game, pork, beef and potato. The preparation process involves the digging of a large hole, lined with hot stones and covered in vegetation. The food is placed on top and sprinkled with water before the underground furnace is sealed with remaining vegetation and fresh earth. The hot stones aid in the generation of heat and steam to complete the cooking process.

Favorite Dish: Traditional Maori feast (hangi),

Steam cooking thermal spa owens

Whakarewarewa Favorites

• Traditional Song and Dance

While visiting Whakarewarewatanga, be sure to see the performances of local culture.Now, I'm not one of those people who likes performances put on for the benefit of tourists. I'd rather come across a local ritual or event and observe instead of having a whole performance choreographed for the benefit of foreigners under the guise of preserving...

• Whakarewarewatanga

Chris is/was one of my favorite things about this place. It's been a lot time, and I don't remember all that was said to us, or every detail we learned, but I still remember Chris. I don't know if Chris is still working, but if she is, ask for her as your guide.

• Whakarewarewa Hotels

0 Hotels in Whakarewarewa

Instant Answers: Whakarewarewa

Comments

Map of Whakarewarewa

View all Whakarewarewa hotels