Pauanui Travel Guide

Lots of boating opportunities
    Typical bush land

Pauanui Restaurants

• by shanandjoe Written Apr 10, 2011

Was very disaapointed with this resort restaurant it really let down puka park resort. The service from the wait staff was terrible they were extremely busy and di not ever return to ask us if we wanted another drink or to re fill our water. Our food arrived 1 hour 15 mins after we ordered. The food was a total rip off in my opinion. I dine out regularly in auckland and was shocked when I saw what arrived on the plates or lack of it for the price. The lamb rack was severley undercooked I understand that lamb is supposed to be "pink" but this was raw I could not eat it and swapped dinner with my partner. The sauce served with the lamb rack was far to strong and did not compliment the meat it was overpowering and for $30 he got four mothfuls of lamb of the rack. My partner ordered ( but I ended up eating) the cripsy pork dish which turned out to be a stir fry so again we were dissapointed ive ordered crispy pork before and what I got at this restuarant was not crispy pork just stir fried pork with stir fry veges the sauce was nice il give them credit where credit is due. Then in the morning we got to our table and it was dirty! it had some of last nights dinner in the middle by the comdiments. The table had been reset for breakfast clean cutlery etc.. but the wait staff failed to clean the table preoperly before reseting. The omlet I ordered was made with processed cheese. I know my chesses well I am in the cheese industry. So overall I Do not recommend this place at all.
    I woud try other restaurants in Pauanui.

• pedroswift's Profile Photo

by pedroswift Updated Apr 4, 2011

As an alternative to in-house dining at Puka Resort we chose to have diner at Styles in Pauanui Village. The venue looked attractive and when we dropped by late in the day to book a table and the chef took some time to allocate us one because he thought most tables were already taken, we were sold….Nothing like customers to enhance the atmosphere of a restaurant.
    Styles has a modest menu selection and wine list. However, the choices are sufficient to keep all but the most fastidious diner happy.
    There are five entrees supplemented by three salads and a pasta of the day. All are priced under NZ$ 20.00
    The Mains offer a choice of eight dishes supplemented with chef’s blackboard specials. $25.00 to $34.00. Choices include Fish of the Day, Game Pie with at least 4 types of meat, Honey & Ginger marinated hot smoked Salmon fillet, Chicken & Steak and a Vegetarian Dish.
    Desserts are available.
    The Wine List is presented under seven major varietal/wine style headings and offers about thirty choices by the bottle $34.50 to $60.00 (champagne higher). There are about eleven wines available by glass on the last. Others may be available on the day.
    Access to the restaurant by disabled diners is good.
    Plenty of parking in the shopping centre.

Favorite Dish: Madam chose Seafood Chowder ($12.50) for entrée and he selected the Coromandel Smoked Cabanossi - Hickory Smoked Venison Cabanossi sausage with Mediterranean couscous salad, served with fig and Dijon mayo.($12.50). Both entrees were very tasty indeed. I was happy to try a local product. Madam’s only complaint : too big a serve!
    Madam had the Fish of the Day served with Salad ($29.50) and he tried the Kaffir Lime Chicken breast served on cashew risotto, with thai coconut curry sauce and spicy naan ($26.50). Servings were much bigger than we could eat.... The Thai styled chicken dish a taste sensation.
    We sampled NZ wines by the glass including A Martinborough Julicher Riesling ($8.50) and a local Coromandel made wine not listed: Cookes Beach ’06 Pinot Noir (grapes sourced from the south) which was v. good.
    We opted to miss dessert having failed to work or way through the generous servings already confronted.
    Meals were tasty, well presented and the right price. Surroundings and personnel were interesting. There was not a big crowd eating as we had anticipated. I’d give it a rating of “better than average”.

• pedroswift's Profile Photo

by pedroswift Updated May 23, 2009

Staying at Mercure Puka Resort, Pauanui, naturally we tried the in-house restaurant, Miha ,and were not disappointed.
    The restaurant and bar is located in the upstairs part of the main reception building with outside verandas overlooking the natural bush setting suitable for outside dining. Vaulted ceilings and woven chairs, windows and doors to the native bushland and lots of polished wood give the room a semi-tropical feel.
    We were delighted with the relaxed and helpful service staff.
    Menu included:
    six “morsels to excite the palate” including breads & dips ; mezze platter of cured meats, cheeses etc ; oysters NZ$ 9.00 to 22.00 (oysters gratinated w/ lemon hollandaise)
    Entrees: eight choices $13.00 to 23.00 including soup, salads, smoked venison, hot smoked salmon.
    Mains: A dozen choices to suit all tastes – beef, lamb, pork, venison, chicken and fish $ 32.00 to $42.00 ( angus pure beef wrapped in bacon w/ pate & red wine glaze). Vegetarian choices available $26.00.
    Dessert: eight choices average $14.00
    Wine and other drinks list is extensive (13 pages) with NZ and overseas choices. Wine is available by the glass.

Favorite Dish: We chose the two course for $55.00 menu electing for an entrée and main each. Washed it down with wine by the glass. Four New Zealand wines $11 to $17 per glass were tried....when in Rome! The most expensive wine being the highly rated Trinity Hill Syrah.
    Between us we chose entrees of hot smoked salmon on citrus pilaf with blood orange, asparagus & maltaise sauce. Brie grilled with preserves.
    For mains Backstrap of Lamb with red wine jus & Beef Tournedos on mash with spinach.
    Everything was delicious and beautifully presented.

tropical feel? Lamb with red wine jus

Pauanui Transportation

• kiwi's Profile Photo

by kiwi Written Jan 6, 2005

To save time, and a long drive (from almost anywhere) it is very quick to fly into Pauanui. Mostly private aircraft using this airfield, and I don't know of any scheduled flights but i'm sure the odd commercial outfit will fly you in.
    As you can see the airstrip is surrounded by houses, and no doubt aviation enthusiasts.

Pauanui Airport
    • Beaches
    • Adventure Travel

Instant Answers: Pauanui

Comments

Pauanui Travel Guide
Map of Pauanui