Lake Taupo Things to Do

• rabbit06's Profile Photo

Huka Honey Hive

by rabbit06 Updated Sep 25, 2011

Main Entrance

Everything you wanted to know about bees and honey, see them live and sample some of their delicious honey's from different regions of NZ, do take some back home! The enrance is free, so go on in and enjoy!

• rabbit06's Profile Photo

Huka Prawn Park

by rabbit06 Updated Sep 25, 2011

Entrance

Bring the whole family for a great day out in the fresh air, fishing for prawns, feeding the trout, lounging in the sun, take the guided tour through the nursery, bring a picnic or enjoy lunch at their restaurant ( see my restaurant review ) Family of four NZ $60.00

• Fishing

• cnango's Profile Photo

A short Drive to Huka Falls

by cnango Updated Sep 11, 2011

Huka Falls gushing aqua water

A short drive from Lake Taupo is Huka Falls.It is a beautiful drive through pristine nature with its lush green plants and the gushing Aqua blue water. There are well beaten paths to follow and a bridge so you can enjoy the view from both sides and directly over the rushing water. If you would like to get closer to the Falls and have an adrenaline rush be sure to go jet boating with Huka Jets.

BTW If you look at the people in the top left hand corner of the lead picture here,you can get a better perspective of the size and magnitude of the majestic Huka Falls.

• Sailing and Boating

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Craters of the Moon

by ATXtraveler Updated Apr 4, 2011

Craters of the Moon

Located just outside of Lake Taupo is another interesting thermal valley, that has been named for its resemblance to a different planet.

Craters of the Moon is part of the Wairakei Tourist Park complex, and is just seconds away from Huka Falls. We took the track around the entire site, and it took us a little over 30 minutes to walk it. Because of extensive rain the day before, I was disappointed that the mud pits were not bubbling to full potential, but what can you do!

I enjoyed this track as a walk and also for more view of some thermal activity.

• wkcsmt's Profile Photo

New Zealand Fruit Wines - Free Entry & Tasting

by wkcsmt Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is where you'll find NZ's largest collection of fruit wines and fruit liqueurs. You will be able to taste the unique NZ medal winning fruit wines including Kiwifruit, Boysenberry, Plum, Fejoa, Apricot, Passionfruit, Strawberry, Blueberry, Ederberry, and Honey Meads plus fruit liquers, ports, brandies and schnapps.

Hours:
    9am - 5pm daily

• Wine Tasting

Killer prawn golf

by BurgerQueen Updated Jul 23, 2009
    The challange!

Golf in New Zealand is definitely a very popular sport in all its varieties, but I have to admit that the killer prawn golf exceeded my expectations!
    Rent a golf club and throw at the floating rings to win interestig cash prizes.
    We had a go hoping to earn some money for an extra week in New Zealand, but we failed :-(
    I cannot help thinking about the poor prawns living under the floating targets...

• Theme Park Trips
    • Golf

Majestic Huka Falls

by BurgerQueen Updated Jul 23, 2009

Breathtaking Huka Falls

Huka falls are the largest falls in Waikako river, and they are really impressive.
    The Huka Fall drop is only 20 metres, but the river flow is huge (20 metres wide) and the result is breathtaking! Just think that Huka Falls provide energy for most of NZ north island :)
    Water is deep blue, almost an unnatural shade, above all in the pool under the fall.
    It is possible to walk on the Waitomo river banks on both sides to admire this nature wonder from different perspectives, and to cross the river on a pedestrian bridge. I suggest walking on the river banks to explore the area preceding the falls. The water is almost still, and don't forget to look under the water, an almost disturbing underwater world is behind you feet!
    Huka falls can be also visited with a jet boat. We didn't have a go because we had already planned to experience the jet boat in Queenstown, but it must be really stunning ( www.hukafallsjet.com).

Practise your swing

by BurgerQueen Written Jul 17, 2009
    Golf player :-)

While walking on lake Taupo waterfront in Taupo city, you cannot miss a "golf fun area" where you can hire a stick and practise your swing aiming at a floating green with 3 holes located IN the lake. You win a free ball each time one of you balls hits the floating platform and 5000NZ$ for hole-in-ones!

• Golf

Pleasant Taupo city

by BurgerQueen Written Jul 17, 2009
    A street in Taupo

Taupo city is the biggest city on the shore of lake Taupo and, though there is not much to do, we appreciated it for its relaxed atmosphere. It looks like a nice place to stay to enjoy Taupo beach life and to visit the area.
    We stopped in Taupo for an afternoon only, we had lunch on a nice terrace and then a walk on the lake waterfront and on the main streets for some shopping :-)

• Water Sports

• BurgerQueen's Profile Photo

Lake Taupo: a volcano in disguise!

by BurgerQueen Written Jul 13, 2009

Lake Taupo

Lake Taupo is not only the largest lake in New Zealand, but also the biggest lake in Oceania!
    The lake is located in the centre of NZ North Island and lies in the caldera of one of the biggest volcanoes of the world, erupted several times when New Zealand was still non inhabited.
    The pristine waters of lake Taupo are very inviting, and its beaches make it perfect for a beach-like vacation. The lake is also famous for trout fishing.
    Lake Taupo borders the Tongariro National Park, its peaks (including Mordor!) are a pleasant and constant presence.
    Because of its size, lake Taupo will be your fellow traveller for long when travelling south from Taupo city, offering you stunning views and panoramas, as well as nice isolated beaches and little towns. No wonder you'll keep stopping to take pictures!

• Water Sports
    • Fishing

• cnango's Profile Photo

Visit Nature's Spa of the South

by cnango Updated Feb 12, 2008

Steaming Geysers in Rotorua

Rotorua "Nature's Spa of the South Pacific" is about a 1 hour drive from Taupo. Rotorua has a lot of geothermal activity, including bubbling mud ,pools of natural mineral water and some of the largest geysers in the world.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Adventure Travel

• iandsmith's Profile Photo

Whakapapa - a mean day on the mountain

Sooo icy

I wasn't sure which part of the mountain to ski, in the end I chose Whakapapa.
    What a place. In the words of a visiting American couple, "If this was in America they would close it down".
    It's not a mountain for the faint of heart. I've never skiied anything like it before in my life......and probably will never again!
    Imagine if you will a whole mountain where someone has dumped table sized rocks everywhere and then someone has found a path or two between them. All you have to do is follow the markers. There's no such thing as a wide open trail where you can do wide turns. No, this place keeps you on your toes the whole time you are skiing, especially if you're in almost-whiteout conditions as I was.
    Partly due to my illness and partly due to the conditions I found it one of the most taxing days I've ever had on a skifield.
    Having said all of the above, I only skied a small percentage of the mountain and my hosts assured me there were better runs on clear (a not frequent occurence) days.
    There was an easy beginners area but, generally, you'd want to be reasonably confident on your feet to ski here.
    To top it all, we had parked on ice and, when we returned after a day's skiing, the vehicle had moved about half a metre......scary.

• Skiing and Boarding

Getting there

Oh, deer

Probably the highlight of my trip to Hidden Valley was getting there. First I had to turn back to fill up with petrol as we were uncertain if there were any garages en route. This turned out to be a wise move.
    After you take the turn off away from the main road on to the dead end road to Hidden Valley the scenery is quite delightful and I stopped on more than one occasion to take some snaps. I hope you enjoy viewing them as much as I did taking them.

• Seniors

Orakei-Korako

Sulphur predominates here

The Hidden Valley conjures up an image of something hardly anyone knows about. This would be a false image were you to hold it.
    When you get there you have to catch a ferry across the river to actually get to the site and, though there's a cafe on site, the fare is limited and the staff less than enthusiastic.
    The Lonely Planet waxes lyrical about this place, touting it as one of the best thermal experiences in the world.
    Frankly, if this is almost as good as it gets, I just can't get too excited about the thermal experience.
    It was different, to be sure, and it was interesting, but at $28 per person I had to wonder about its value. There were "waterfalls" with streaky colours, bubbling ponds reeking of sulphur, strange formations but, somehow, it was all a bit muted. I guess we were looking for a spouting geyser. There isn't one. There's a couple that threaten but never really do much at all.
    In the end, I was glad I saw it, but wouldn't be rushing off to see it again.

• Adventure Travel
    • Hiking and Walking

Flying high

by iandsmith Updated Sep 14, 2007

The glider I flew

Imagine a group of eccentric geriatrics sitting around in a small shed in the middle of a paddock with nothing better to do than fly. That should put you in the picture.
    These men of the air all have a sense of humour as noted during the pre-flight comments, "If you want to do loop-the-loops go with him, he can't fly straight"; you get the scene.
    So it was that I passed over money (about $160 as I recall) and was then strapped into a glider with Tom Murray at the controls.
    I could tell that Tom, like all the rest, was never happier than when flying and today was a good day with lots of lift from the nearby mountain, well, ex-volcano really, and we were off behind the tow plane in no time.
    I'd read where soaring is the ultimate flying experience as there's no propellor noises, it's simply you and the wind. Somehow it felt safer too but I'm not sure how I arrived at that conclusion.
    I could have stayed up for ages and, yes, we did manage three loop-the-loops. We had to do three because I stuffed up the video for the first two and Tom was only too happy to do another and another.
    You have three flight options, priced accordingly (mine was the most expensive) and, at the top end, you get to fly it yourself. Our only problem was that we had a communications lack of understanding and Tom thought I was flying it and I thought Tom was flying it. Amazing how those gliders know what to do when no-one's in charge!

• Luxury Travel
    • Seniors

Instant Answers: Lake Taupo

Comments

Lake Taupo Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Lake Taupo things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lake Taupo sightseeing.