Taupo Region Off The Beaten Path

The little ferry across the river
    by kakapo
  • Off The Beaten Path
    by shavy
  • Off The Beaten Path
    by shavy

• View from the balloon

From the balloon, I could see the Waikato river, Huka Falls, Lake Taupo, the steam rising from the Craters of the Moon, sheep (if you've read my other New Zealand pages, you may have noticed that I quite like sheep :-)), little cars and tiny people... it was a lot of fun.

• View from the balloon 2

It was great to see the Taupo area from above: the new perspective further emphasised the beauty of New Zealand's nature.

• Hot air ballooning over Taupo

The absolute highlight of my New Zealand trip was flying in a hot air balloon over the Taupo area. The flight itself was fantastic, like floating in air, the scenery was amazing (Lake Taupo, Huka Falls, Craters of the Moon thermal area) and my pilot, Peter, was a really nice guy, who obviously knew what he was doing. We even landed in someone's...

• Huka Falls

We walk from the coach to the little bridge over the river. Icy green glacier water is tumbling over rocks underneath us. Walking a little further down the path, the falls become spectacular, even though they aren't high. Masses of water in the most incredible colour creating a lovely white surf as it cascades over the edge. Much better than I...

• Wairakei Geothermal Powerstation

We head out of town today, past the geothermal valleys. It really is quite amazing to be driving along and suddenly spotting steam coming out of the ground and water spurting above the bushes. We stop to view Wairakei Geothermal Powertation which is very interesting. This power statio was the first station in the world to utilise flash steam from...

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Taupo Region? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Taupo Region Hotels

See nearby hotels
Mount Ruapehu Hotels
5 Reviews - 28 Photos

Instant Answers: Taupo Region

Comments

Taupo Region Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Taupo Region off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Taupo Region sightseeing.
Map of Taupo Region