Hamilton Restaurants

Demi-Urgos cafe
    by kiwi

Best Rated Restaurants in Hamilton

• kiwi's Profile Photo

The Cook Café and Bar.: Great food and Super Ambience.

by kiwi Updated Apr 12, 2004

Hamilton Caf�� & Bar

I love the setting, decor and way they have developed this Caf?. It is an old Lodge hall built in 1874, with lovely polished wooden floors, and nicely carved wooden furniture. The theme seems to be Southern Man, with the Speights touch evident around the Bar and Caf?.

Favorite Dish: I really enjoyed my Mini chicken Pizza with fries and salad. Very tasty and nice and well presented. It was a Chef's special of the day, and I recommend those!

The menu is varied and very reasonably priced.
    Breakfasts range from Continental to American.
    Main Meals from American to Greek to Italian and such.
    Platters and Light meals available also, and a very nice wine list is on offer.

You can sit at large group table, or small more intimate ones, and if you want you can have your meal served to you in the nice sofa corner, in a really relaxed mode.

The whole place is an experience not to be missed!

• kiwi's Profile Photo

the hydro café: Funky and Gorgeous!

by kiwi Updated Nov 3, 2005

hydromajestic restaurant

It has ambience, character, view of the river, great staff......everything needed for a fine experience!

Lunch: 5 days a week.
    Brunch: Sat & Sun.
    Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday.
    bookings recommended.

Over the years I have become a big fan of the owner/chef of this restaurant. I can truly recommend the experience of dining here. During fine weather it's wonderful to sit outside under the sun sails and just take in the surroundings. Set in an ex-government housing estate, you can feel the 70's retro theme both inside and out the restaurant. If any of you are familiar with "Formica" you will find it here!
    The nice clipped Bay trees in pots and the eclectic staff buzzing around all add to the atmosphere that is the Hydro experience. Capped with nice music, you will not regret coming here.

Favorite Dish: Breakfast includes Muesli, Fruit & Yoghurt $10; French Toast served with banana and bacon $15; Scrambled eggs and bacon $15, and other things.

The Snack Menu includes Fries & Aioli $7; Corn & Coriander Fritters served with sweet chilli sauce and sour cream $13, and other nice things.

Dinner has things like nice starters, garlic bread, mezze platter, felafal, fish salad and stuff. Followed by main selection of Chicken Breast; Lamb Fillets; Roast Duck; Fish; Beef fillet etc.

Theobroma Chocolate Lounge: Street Dining Precinct

by kiwi Updated Jun 12, 2012

Covered dining precinct

Don't be fooled by the name, as Theobromas serve other food as well as fine Belgian style chocolates. This is one of a line of new eating establishments in the pavement dining precinct on Bryce Street in the central city. Named "Dining on Bryce", this street is now very attractive and oozing with ambience and character.
    We all know the weather in the Waikato can be wet and miserable, however this street dining experience is sheltered with a nice new stylish canopy overhead and clear plastic sides to keep the rain and wind out.

Favorite Dish: I dined here for lunch, and had a very tasty and well presented beef lasagne, served with a small helping of salad and sweet sauce. I found the size to be perfect for me, not too large.
    Nice strong black coffee rounded off my mid day meal. Nice to see also, that unlike many places who have raised the price of coffee to over $4, Theobromas have managed to keep their price to be below $4.

• Kate-Me's Profile Photo

? in Victoria St: Irish Pub

by Kate-Me Written Apr 25, 2004

Irish pub

I only went into this pub because for a start, I love Irish pubs (though I don't drink beer at all) and I was particularly taken by this one, with its timbered appearance, and different shields affixed to the outside. Inside, it was very cosy and comfortable and we sat in a plush little velvet benched corner.

There was an interesting little round billiard table in the centre of the room - never seen one of those before.
    The pub was also full of signs, posters, and great leadlight.

Favorite Dish: We didn't actually try the beer.

• Beer Tasting

• MHMundt's Profile Photo

BBC ( Bar, Bistro, Cafe ): BBC in Hamilton means good food

by MHMundt Written May 2, 2009

During the nine days we spent in Hamilton, we ate three of our meals at the BBC. We had met one of the chefs one afternoon on the sidewalk outside the restaurant ( not realizing that she was a chef at the time ). We had just finished lunch at another restaurant but had paused to check out the menu posted on the wall. Since the lunch rush was over we ended up conversing for about 20 minutes. We told her we would be back to eat sometime in the near future.

That night we decided to go there for supper. Never having been inside the restaurant before the waiter had never seen us before. After he took our order he came over to our table and told us the chef wanted to give us each a free glass of wine and would we like red or white. From the look in his eyes it was obvious that he was trying to figure out why the chef would be giving these strangers free wine.

When the wine was served we could see the chef back in the kitchen and we raised our glasses to salute her. Later she came out and we chatted for a bit more.

We returned to the BBC two additional times to eat.

Favorite Dish: The Pan Seared Rack of Lamb was very good.

• ashley05p's Profile Photo

Sahara Tent Restaurant: A Bit of the Middle East

by ashley05p Written Jul 28, 2005

Delightful atmosphere...you can sit at tables or in your own "tent" on pillows on the ground around a table. Nice lighting inside too, very Turkish feel.

Favorite Dish: I tried the dolmates (rice wrapped in grape leaves), calamari, pita bread a tzatiki. All were delicious. The Turkish dry white wine was very nice as well!

Furnace Restaurant Bar & Nightclub: South end of town

by kiwi Updated Mar 7, 2008

Furnace Restaurant Bar & Nightclub

Popular eating house in mainstreet, nice interior seating and summertime outside tables on pavement. Pleasant casual but nice atmosphere with tv for sports minded if you want. Tables and booths available. You can park in behind in the museum parking area, no charge later in the evening. Open till 3am FRi and Sat nites, open till "late" other nites.

Favorite Dish: Hard to have a favourite as I've only been once. My chicken dinner was very tasty and enjoyable however one member of your party had fish and it's preparation was far from satisfactory. Those of us who had pork enjoyed that too.
    I began with bruschetta but it was a bit soggy!
    Oven roasted chicken breast stuffed with semi dried tomatoes, fresh basil and feta served on a broccoli, bean and parmesan risotto and finished with rocket pesto. Nice!!
    The sorbet dessert was superb. Nice wines and it's always nice to find a place that serves Belgian Beer.

• Singles

Gardens Cafe: Gardens Cafe at Hamilton Gardens

by kiwi Written Mar 10, 2014

I'm only going to refer to the coffee. I ordered a Long Black, which traditionally is an espresso double shot with water added.
    I have to say what I got was the worst example of this I've had in a long time. There was absolutely no crema. The coffee looked and tasted dead and was little better than instant with water.
    I was bitterly disappointed. The location of the cafe is superb. The small cake I purchased with this coffee was average, sadly.

The Seafood Bazaar: Beat Fish shop takeaways in town

by kiwi Written Nov 22, 2012
    Seafood Bazaar

This is undoubtedly the best fresh fish shop in town. There are plenty of choices of type of fish and how you take them. Frozen, live tanks to select, or filetted and ready to cook.
    You can select your fish and have it cooked on premises, in batter, as "fish 'n chips" takeaways. This is the best method of takeaways, as the fish is SO fresh and tender. It just melts in your mouth.
    If you prefer, just choose your crayfish from the tanks, live and kicking :-)

This is a cheaper option to dining in a restaurant, but you still get great food.
    Not so easy to get to if you don't have transport, as it's not so close to the heart of town. But is a short drive from the motel district, a very worthy choice if that is where you are staying. Close enough to take the food back to your motel to eat.

Favorite Dish: My favourite fish types are Schnapper and Gurnard. These white fish varieties are tender, tasty but not too fishy-strong.

• Motorcycle

Demi-Urgos Cafe: Great funky cafe

by kiwi Updated May 22, 2013
    Demi-Urgos cafe

Popular little character cafe, which I will be frequenting from now on. Love the old decor and funky atmosphere, very interesting to see such a wide agegroup range, and fun to sit and observe. They have four old art deco tables pushed together to form one centrepiece large square table, where more than one group can sit and feel separate to the other group.
    Run by young enthusiastic people (two brothers I hear), and offering an online service where you can order your coffee and pick it up at an arranged time.

Weekdays - 7am to 4pm
    Saturdays - 9am to 12pm midday.

Favorite Dish: That would have to be the lemon muffin/friand thingie.
    Coffee is divine as well.

• MHMundt's Profile Photo

Fox & Hounds: Enjoyed the Traditional Irish Sunday Roast

by MHMundt Written May 2, 2009
    Fox & Hounds entrance

The interior was a warm welcoming atmosphere, and we also enjoyed eating our lunch at the sidewalk tables.

One interesting thing occurred while we were eating. One of the other tables on the sidewalk had been recently vacated. Along with the Roast Pork dinner were two strips of roasted pumpkin. The occupants of the table had not cleaned their plate completely. Down the street came an androgynous character dressed in black. As they passed the vacated table they realized the pumpking slices were still there so stopped and ate them. I guess that didn't fill them up because they then proceeded to pick up a spoon and fork on the table and used both utensils to shovel the rest of the uneaten food into their mouth. Once the plate was clean they then proceeded walking down the street. We have never seen that before or since.

Favorite Dish: The roast pork special was very good.

The Helm: Refreshing New restaurant

by kiwi Updated May 14, 2009
    The Helm diner

This is one of the newest diners in town at the time of writing. I was pleasantly pleased with my vistit. Nice sunny area both inside and out, also with various corners for dining. It's good to have a place at this end of town, where you can just drop in for a drink and meal or snacks.
    Rather oddly located where I expected to find a carpark, and with large shops around. However I was thrilled to find this new establishment and thoroughly enjoyed my experience.
    I found the prices very reasonable and a good selection of food. Something for almost everyone.

Favorite Dish: I had an Open Chicken Sandwich which was delightful, pleasing and wonderful.

Items on menu:
    Lamb Salad
    Various Pastas and Pizzas
    Platters and snacks

Instant Answers: Hamilton

Comments

Hamilton Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Hamilton restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Hamilton sightseeing.