50 odd kilometres to the east of Masterton is Riversdale, a small beachside community. The beach is patrolled in summer and it's a pleasant place to be. Plenty of people have holiday homes here. There's also a small shop there selling various stuff including takeaway meals.
It's far from the beaten track, and the road there is unsealed in parts, but this is one place that's well worth a visit, with the wild coastline, seals and the lighthouse.
There are around 250 steps to the top, but it's worth the climb for the views.
Down on the South Coast is Lake ferry, where the lake meets the rugged South Coast. In the past, before the road link from Wellington to Wairarapa was put through, a ferry was used to get cars to here, from where people could drive up into the Wairarapa.
It's quite a scenic spot, as you can see. You can also see the South Island from here.
In the area surrounding Cape Palliser, seals can be found in decent numbers. Pull up the car, and there they are.
We stayed in one of the private but separate suites. Could have stayed inside in one of the main...more
High St South Masterton Po Box
Satisfaction: Very Good
Good for: Families
Western Lake Road, Palliser Bay, Featherston, Wairarapa, New Zealand
Good for: Business
Top Wairarapa Hotels
Explore the World
- Hetauda Hotels
- Sibulan Hotels
- Cayo Caracoles Hotels
- Pulau Langkawi
- Cotovia Hotels
- Hilton Head Island Off The Beaten Path
- Gatlinburg Off The Beaten Path
- Halifax Off The Beaten Path
- Biloxi Off The Beaten Path
- Cape Town Off The Beaten Path
- Calgary Off The Beaten Path
- Southland Off The Beaten Path
- Kota Kinabalu Off The Beaten Path
- State of Himachal Pradesh Off The Beaten Path
- Palm Springs Off The Beaten Path
- Moscow Off The Beaten Path
- Tamworth Off The Beaten Path