Johnsonville Travel Guide

Johnsonville Favorites

Cafe.

by craic Updated Apr 13, 2009

Favorite thing: After a brisk sort through the thift shops I felt the need of an uplifting coffee and a ciggie.
    In short I needed a cafe.
    But Johnsonville does not appear to be a member of the cafe society - which is odd because Wellington proper has gone overboard with the whole idea of cafe society. They are unrepentent, in your face, have-you-seen-me?, sitting and have a coffee at all hours of the day and night Cafe Society with a capital C and a capital S.
    But I swear the only cafe with outdoor tables was Starbucks! There may be others tucked away, I am not saying there are not. But I couldn't find them.
    So I went to Starbucks.

Train to Johnsonville.

by craic Written Dec 25, 2008

Favorite thing: It takes maybe half an hour from Wellington Station. It's a single line but I think there is a siding where the trains wait to pass each other.
    I tell you an odd, old fashioned thing that I really liked. They have conductors on the train, with those kind of sporran things hanging off them, and they happily sell you your ticket and answer any queries you might have. They clip the ticket with the old fashioned instruments.
    So there is no chance of getting a free ride - they take their duties seriously and are upon you , with a friendly smile - almost as soon as you sit down. But this also means that if you are running like mad for the train, they see you and press a button to tell the driver to wait. I saw that happen twice on my journey. And when I say conductors, I mean conductors. On my trip out there were two. On my trip back there were three.
    I imagine the customers are pretty well behaved. No drinking, no smoking, no grafitti, no yahooing, no feet on the seats.
    Of course you buy your ticket beforehand if the station you are traveling from has a means to do so. But they don't seem to care if you don't.
    I saw people get on in Johnsonville where you can buy tickets and they bought tickets on the train and there was no fuss or bother.

Sally Army. 1 more image

by craic Updated Dec 25, 2008

Favorite thing: Two excellent thrift shops in the main street close to the station. Well known and appreciated among the cognoscenti. A must do for aficionados of the thrift shop. Both do lots of household goods - and I was seriously tempted - but no point. I was heading back to Australia in a few months.
    But I thought - If I was going to settle down here in Wellington, and my flat looked a bit bare, this is where I would come and look for furniture, useful kitchen items, and nick-nacks.

Instant Answers: Johnsonville

Comments

Johnsonville Travel Guide
Map of Johnsonville