Kapiti Coast, Wellington Region

• arkadia's Profile Photo

FISHING ON OPEN SEA

by arkadia Written Feb 25, 2003

FISHING ON OPEN SEA
    Interesting??? Ah the whole experience was interesting. From the fact that I never ever fished in my entire life. Graham took me out with his big boat around the Kapiti Island (a protected island on the Kapiti Coast).
    But before I say took me out...I had to work as well:

1. You pick up the boat with your 4-wheed drive car.
    2. You drive the boat down to the beach.
    3. You take off the boat from the car and put it on a tractor. Why? Because you cannot drive your car in the water.
    4. You back up with the tractor into the water slowly until you reach a point where you can let slide the boat into it.
    5. NOW COMES MY PART!! While Graham parks back the tractor on the beach, I have to try to hold the boat so that it stays. Problem was that I felt so small and the boat so strong. I was scared like hell that I would loose the boat or that I would just end up under the boat. The small waves that came in, made the boat to turn...that was not fun...i was so scared to do something wrong. LOL
    6. Graham came back. AHHHH what a relieve!! And we jumped on the boat and away from shore. After recovering from the first shock.....
    7. we reached a calm place around Kapiti Island and I got my first ever lesson in fishing. Cut a piece of dead fish to put on the hook (2 hooks on the fishing rod) and then you let the whole thing down until you reach the bottom.
    8. You wait...not too long and then iuhuuuuuiii you feel something pulling...so you pull yourself and up comes little small red and funny fishes, that you have to through back into the water, coz. they have to have a certain lenght, for protection reasons.
    9. Or you feel happy about fishing or you feel like I felt. Ohhhh gosh, poor fish. I cannot kill him and I cannot see the blood coming out there were the hook was once.
    10. I go on eating fish...but I let the fishing to other people.

I loved to do it. Now I know. I can understand now why the fishers like to fish. There is a certain exictment, waiting for the right catch.What an experience!!

• Cycling

Instant Answers: Wellington Region

Comments

View all Wellington Region hotels