Places to eat in Wellington

Most Viewed Restaurants in Wellington

• wkcsmt's Profile Photo

Theos Greek Taverna: Greek Experience

by wkcsmt Updated Apr 4, 2011

Theo's Greek Taverna offers a truly memorable Greek experience (I've never been to Greece to compare though)... good food, music & entertainment. By the way, live music is only available from Thursdays to Saturdays. The Mediterranean decor & trailing grapevines covered courtyard makes the place special & wonderful.

Theo’s opens 6 days for dinner, expect Mondays.

• Boulcott Street Bistro: Bistro food at its best

by ilovefood Updated Mar 6, 2011

Boulcott Street Bistro is a gorgeous Gothic cottage tucked away among the high rises of the CBD. (One of the waitresses informed us of it's history; it was built in the 1870's and is now was a government protected property, and is maintained as a historic New Zealand site.)
    The transition from the noisy and busy city, through the front door is definitely a pleasant change! There is a warm and vibrant atmosphere, and friendly staff.
    We sat at the bar and took a drink as we waited for our table - the barman was knowledgeable and talked to us about the various wines on offer.

Favorite Dish: I chose the prawn risotto and the fillet steak with Bearnaise and fries - this was delicious. The risotto was really tasty and the combination of the prawns with a spicy sausage was perfect. The steak was very tender, great Bearnaise and with the side of beetroot it very was satisfying.
    My partner had the pork belly main, it's not something we usually choose as it's not always available free range. He loved it!

• Wine Tasting

• salisbury3933's Profile Photo

Backbencher: Interesting Political Satire

by salisbury3933 Updated Feb 3, 2011

The Backbencher is a pub opposite NZ's parliament with a politically satirical theme.

Not sure of the food, but beer is pretty much at central Wellington prices, ie. $7.50 for a handle of beer.

It's worth dropping in for one or two drinks if you are out of town. The puppets of local politicians are quite interesting.

Bill English and John Key

• Dahra Korean Bistro: Drop in for Bibim Bap

by lighthouse1971 Updated Sep 25, 2010

Dahra bills their food as authentically Korean, yet outside the mainstream of Korean restaurant food. The main difference seems to be that not everything is spicy, and many of the dishes have an elegant simplicity that sets them apart from most Korean food I've had (which tends to fall in the 'greasy spoon' category). The end result was impressive, with high quality ingredients and tasty dishes. The restaurant itself is beautifully decorated and modern, with the added touch of handmade Korean pottery. The pottery placemats were a particularly stunning touch. The service was also attentive and professional. What makes Dahra special is its combination of a stylish atmosphere and Asian cuisine, a combination that's all too rare in Asian restaurants (outside of Asia that is).

Favorite Dish: The Bibim Bap at Dahra is great because you get to choose your type of rice, choose your sauce, and choose your toppings. The overall effect is fun and yummy. My favourite version is a non-traditional offering - Smoked Salmon Bibim Bap (with Samjang sauce).

Dahra Korean Bistro's decor
    • Gay and Lesbian

Restaurant 88: Restaurant 88

by fishandchips Written Apr 29, 2010

Restaurant 88 is Wellington's home of some fantastic Vietnamese food. From the entrees through to the main dishes there is a really hard choice ahead for you!

Located up Tory Street (not too far from Courtenay Pl & across from Lone Star) Restaurant 88 is easy to find and has quite a few tables catering for everything from the single diner through to large groups. The service is quick & easy and the booze options also pretty good.

I definately recommend this restaurant!

Favorite Dish: I had a major dilemma choosing between the baby half chicken and Prawns so I shared with one of my dining chums (we had one of each and halved the portions). In retrospect the chicken was a bit better as was the Clay Hotpot which was chok full of yummy meaty bits.

There are also plenty of options for the Gluten Free diner.

The hotpot Big juicy prawns!!

• Kate-Me's Profile Photo

Sea Market: Freshly cooked seafood

by Kate-Me Updated Nov 22, 2009

The shop is like a Fish N Chips takeaway but with some tables too for dining in.
    Several varieties of fish (more choices than we often saw) to choose from.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed the fish we had, but also the Kumara (sweet potato) chips, which I'd never tried before.

Went here again in 2009 and it's still rather good.....had the crumbed fish of the day and chips and took back to our hotel across the road. Very nice.

• BurgerQueen's Profile Photo

New World supermarket: perfect for a quick lunch!

by BurgerQueen Written Aug 12, 2009

New World supermarkets are a cheap and quick response fot a fast lunch. Just choose paninis in the delicatessen area, and the staff will toast them for you. For a few dollars you'll get fresh food and fresh drinks at supermarket prices.
    The supermarket also some tables for customers, but we prefer eating in the open air.

Finc: Finc

by fishandchips Written May 16, 2009

This place is a cafe that does a wide range of lunch meals including an all day breakfast. As per most Wellington places the coffee is great and the service is above average. I've had all sorts of meals here from the big breakfast (incl Black Pudding!) to the Soup de Jour and have never been disappointed. There also items such as muffins & scones if you only want a small morning tea nibble with your coffee or tea. The location is handy to the Civic centre and is just along from the Duxton Hotel so a good option if you don't want to pay the very expensive hotel food price. The cafe itself has many seats including bench seats and nice wooden chairs.

Osteria del Toro: Osteria del Toro

by fishandchips Written May 16, 2009

I've tagged this place as Italian but it's got a wider influence than that. The restaurant is a long narrow place though plenty of room for lots of diners. I took my team here for a retirement lunch (Anne you will be missed!) and we were not disappointed. For groups of 9 or more you can order the Feast option which includes starters, 6 mains and nibble type dessert. The service was good though as our group was rather large it would have been very difficult for the chefs to prepare a large number of separate dishes. We were asked to have the feast option as it was easier for the restaurant - all good with the team though as they wer not left feeling hungry.

Favorite Dish: The lamb dishes were great as was the starter plate. The starters included lamb chunks, hummus and spicy, bite sized falafels. The mains had a selection of 2 pizzas, a lamb dish, meatballs & spaghetti, Paella and veges. Dessert was biscotti & turkish delight. For $39 a head it was a very reasonable price for the massive amount of food we got - a feast indeed!!

Food selection Inside Osteria del Toro Expectant diners

• craic's Profile Photo

Mediterranean Food Warehouse: More than just a pizza place

by craic Updated Mar 7, 2009

I had had a bit of a fright on the zebra crossing in Constable Street - taxi behind the car that stopped for me neglected to notice this and rear ended the polite car. I had leapt up in the air like a gazelle and shouted Farrkkkkk! (now why did I think Up was a good idea?) and I could see polite guy wondering why I was doing this. And then he found out.

Anyway, I needed a coffee so this place was the handiest.

The cheap and cheerful pizza and coffee place was full of cheerful Mediterranean familes. And there was Italian gelato (Made on the Premises) that looked like it would hit the spot on a day that wasn't quite so bleak and wet. (I will return.)

I particularly like the Italian pop music. As I calmed my nerves I could hear guy singing with all his heart - "Sono qui." (I am here.)

But it was the warehouse behind that was the find. If you have got to have prosecco or limoncello, or you are craving panettone (hard to imagine that, craving panettone) or you require prosciutto di Parma or Emiliano, or bocconcini or whatever - this is your place.

Favorite Dish: Will report back re gelato.

REPORTING BACK RE GELATO - It was very good but way way way too expensive. Maybe girl who served me decided to give me an ungenerous tiny minute small kiddie portion - but I have never paid such a price for an icecream before and don't intend to go back and find out if that is the usual size.

It's raining in Wellington. Unusual.

Crazy Horse: Crazy Horse

by fishandchips Updated Dec 10, 2008

I've listed this place as a steak house but they serve a rather varied range of dishes with Steak the main item. The restaurant is very nice inside and the bucket sized wine glasses a good indicator of the place. The service we got was very slow though we were here for lunch so maybe not so many in the kitchen?

The prices here are well above average with meals getting up to $90 for a meal for 2. Steaks ranged up to $50 for the T Bone steak. This is my beaf of preference though at this price I wasn't going to try it. The wine list id also fairly good though also on the pricey side.

The waiters knew exactly what was what when it came to each dish so were very well prepared for questions.

Favorite Dish: I had the half chicken and it was very tasty. It came with 'hand cut' chips (fries) and that's it. You need to order a side serving of greens or muchrooms or it's steak and chips lol. I was here with the Wellington part of my team and we were here for a Xmas munch. Everyone seemed very happy with their food.

• Wine Tasting
    • Religious Travel

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Nicolini's (and an untested Italian Eatery): Delicious Dining Mamma Style

by Kakapo2 Updated Jul 8, 2008

Nicolini's Italian Cafe Bar and Bistro

As a lover of Italian food I just had to go there and was not disappointed. However, I was surprised how many bad reviews this restaurant has received on www.dineout.co.nz
    Most negative reviews were based on unfriendly service.

I cannot report this at all. The only little disappointment was that – having not booked – we did not get a table in the small restaurant which has great and cosy Italian atmopshere. So we sat outside and enjoyed watching the people at Courtenay Place on a busy Friday night.
    The service was excellent, and friendly.

The dishes we had were simple and not pretentious. I would not call it fine dining, more dining the Mamma style. Good but not sophisticated, and the portions were huge. I had a very garlicky pasta dish, with plenty of olive oil, a spoon or two less would also have made it for me. So clearly no health food – but good for the soul. They had plenty of specials of the day, and the waitress remembered them all LOL

Also saw reviews in travel guides, they write Nicolini’s is cheap but this is not the case. The prices are the average of the places around. Would always go back – but make a booking to get a table inside and indulge in “The Romance of Italy”, as they print on their business cards ;-)

The Italian section of the wine list was heavy on reds, so I had to choose a NZ white wine.

Open daily 5.30pm until late.

Contact:
    Nicolini’s, 26 Courtenay Place
    Phone (04) 802 4442
    Email: nicolini@nicolinis.com

Maria Pia's

Highly popular among the many Italian restaurants is Maria Pia’s in Thorndon, in the Parliamentary Zone. Unfortunately we have not had a chance yet to dine there – but the reputation of this owner-operated trattoria is so legendary that under normal circumstances you will not get a table without booking. Maria Pia is from Puglia, so you will get authentic dishes from this region.

Open: Lunch Tue – Fri 12noon – 2.30pm, dinner Mon – Sat 5.30pm – 11pm

Check out:

Contact:
    Address: 55-57 Mulgrave St, Thorndon
    Phone (04) 499 5590

Perretts Corner: Perretts Corner

by fishandchips Updated Jul 2, 2008

Perretts Corner is on the corner of Willis and Manners Streets and is a really nice place to stop for a coffee and something to eat. The coffee is of a very high standard and the food, that I have tried, is really good.

The service was quick and easy and very friendly. Inside the shop is quite big so plenty of places to sit. It does get very busy as do all central city cafes and eating spots but you should find a place to sit most times of the day.

Favorite Dish: Last time here I had an espresso (short) and lamb & mint sandwich. Coffee was $3 and the sandwich $5. Both very good value and both very nice!!

Inside Perrets The perfect short black?

• craic's Profile Photo

Picnic: Very peaceful - at one with nature

by craic Updated May 15, 2008

Perfectly agreeable cafe - normal sort of prices and range of tucker - BUT it is situated in the Lady Norwood Rose Garden in the Botanic Gardens - so on a beautiful day (Wellington does have the odd beautiful day - true!) there is nowhere more beautiful or peaceful to have your coffee and excellent cheese scone. Or your pasta or soup or sandwich.
    There is a sign suggesting you do not feed the birds BUT they do not need you to feed them but send shock troops in all the time so if you look away for a moment it is a Kthnxbye sort of situation as your scone vanishes. My mum and I started to laugh at the whole range of food appropriating behaviours. From frank and outright begging and fading away in front of your eyes dying from hunger what a big meanie you are TO red alert all together now we distract and conquer!
    And the rose gardens stretch out around you and the bush clad hills loom. Just gorgeous.
    More about the Botanic Gardens on Things To Do.
    BTW you can get to them on the Cable Car.

Favorite Dish: My brother tells me that the Island Bay sausages are famous.

15% loading on weekends and public holidays.

Pigeon is too late. Missed out on the crumbs. Sparrows working overtime. Very insanitary I am sure.

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Mr. Bun Bakery & Coffee Shop: Good Place for a quick Snack

by Kakapo2 Written Apr 16, 2008

This is a bakery chain with a big choice of fresh pastries, buns, of course, LOL, and all kinds of filled rolls, panini, and hot fast food, breakfasts etc. , to eat in or take away. It is a good place for a quick snack or lunch, not flash, but good value for money. Would probably not go there for a blind date or a romantic afternoon ;-)

Locations are:

Just Hotel Wellington
Latest: Jul 18, 2014
Cambridge Hotel

Instant Answers: Wellington

Comments

Wellington Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Wellington locals.
Map of Wellington