Wellington Tourist Traps

by knerten
    France Telecom in NZ?
    by kiwi
  • Wellington at dusk from the Botanic Gardens
    Wellington at dusk from the Botanic...
    by knerten

Most Recent Tourist Traps in Wellington

• BurgerQueen's Profile Photo

You'll need a loan to pay car parkings!

by BurgerQueen Updated Aug 12, 2009

Car parkings are very expensive in Wellington, up to 4NZ$ per hour with a maximum 2 hours stay!
    Don't try to park in supermarkets parkings, they are watched. We only managed to find a long-stay parking area in cinemas :)

Unique Suggestions: When booking an accomodation in Wellington, choose one with private parking!

• travelthrough's Profile Photo

Time Warp in Te Papa

by travelthrough Written Dec 23, 2006

Wellington

The Time Warp is too overpriced for the service. Basically it is a motion cinema with 3D-effects where you can go back and forwards in time in order to see what NZ would have been or would be like. The show lasts about 10 min and nothing is documented, it's only a visual
    show. You get less for what you pay!

• knerten's Profile Photo

Bee-hive or Bee-hype?

by knerten Updated Jul 29, 2004

The Beehive

I had seen pictures of this, and I wanted to have my own. Well, much ado about nothing. The architecture is interesting, but you can't get into the building, and there wasn't a good angle anywhere to take a nice shot. But at least I can say, been there, done that. I'm beginning to realise that all the postcard photographers around the world must manage to enter buildings around the sights, getting great angles and no clutter, whereas we simple tourists are left with hopeless photo opportunities...

Unique Suggestions: The best (clearest) shot of the beehive I got from behind the building.

• knerten's Profile Photo

Cable Car

by knerten Updated Jul 28, 2004

Wellington at dusk from the Botanic Gardens

Nostalgic alright, but so what? It's just a cable car going up a hill, and it's not even going THAT high up.
    It doesn't cost more than NZ$3.60 return but I still felt like I had been cheated. Well, maybe that also was because I did the trip in between the rain showers, it was wet and windy at the top, so I hurried back down again. Been there, done that. Maybe a future summer ride and a walk in the Botanic Gardens will make me change my mind, but for now I consider it a tourist trap.

Unique Suggestions: Go at dusk, to enjoy the paly of lights acoss the waterfront.

• kiwi's Profile Photo

Don't be fooled!

by kiwi Written Jun 18, 2003

France Telecom in NZ?

When you come across this France Telecom phone booth in downtown Wellington, be warned that you will get no connection. The booth is here as part of an exhibition.

Unique Suggestions: Well, ok use the phone and take your photo, it makes a good story!

Instant Answers: Wellington

Comments

Wellington Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Wellington tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Wellington sightseeing.