Places to eat in New Zealand

Most Viewed Restaurants in New Zealand

• shelnlin's Profile Photo

A dish for everyone!

by shelnlin Written Jan 22, 2008

New Zealand is becoming more and more aware of the world that surrounds them. As we are so far away from many countries, we are however taking the opportunity to discover so many beautiful cuisines from around the world. Thirty years ago many New Zealander's would only dine out unless it was a very special occasion and even then it was rather limited. Choices were often a buffet dinner of roasted and cold cuts of meat, vegetables boiled or roasted, a few different types of salads, maybe a seafood dish and a few desserts. Then there was Chinese with a westernised flavour to it, dishes that were based largely from the Cantonese, a sprinkle of fast food restaurants like Kentucky Fried Chicken, a NZ based pie fast food chain called Georgie Pie, and little family restaurants called Cobb and Co which specialised in dishes like Cordon Bleu chicken and Shrimp cocktails. There was of course the public bars with their own pub meals, the RSA clubs, Gentlemans clubs, Hotels and Motor Inn's with their own restaurants etc... but it was no where as exciting as it is now

Much of that has changed now we are seeing almost everything here..... In Auckland, New Zealand's largest city we are seeing a diverse range of people from all corners of the globe and it is great that we are now getting the chance to eat anything from Arabia to Vietnam.

Favorite Dish: My favourite New Zealand dish would have to be Roasted sweet potato. This simple dish is often beautifully cooked in what the New Zealand maori call a "hangi" which is basically where food is cooked in the ground. The smokeyness that cooks this vegetable (also known as Kumara) always does it for me and even if I don't have it in a Hangi, I always enjoy it cooked in my own oven.

Other favourites of mine include the variety of seafood we have here in New Zealand and I cannot help but enjoy the infamous Pavlova which you can see in my homepage under my Virtual tourist cookbook.

New Zealand truly has come ahead in recent years with their culinary fare and it is great to see when a new cafe pops up in my city and I can sit back and try their new flavours and coffees. Dine out website (the website I have listed below) is great if you want to review or read a review on a restaurant here in New Zealand. I have made a few contributions of my own and it is great to see how others view restaurants and cafes in the area.

• IslandGirl10's Profile Photo

Arizona Steakhouse: BEEF!

by IslandGirl10 Updated Dec 9, 2007

Arizona seems like a gathering place after the Wellington work day. The atmosphere is noisy, much like an American bar. It's sort of a cross between eating at the Outback, going to a local Yuppie bar (reminded me a lot of the Federal Hill/Fells Point area....very young clientele!) and a sidewalk cafe. This isn't the place for a date...it is WAY too noisy! The food was good....dishes were based on some that you would find at a steakhouse, with a gourmet twist. I had a steak that had a homemade chili jam accompany it and it was amazing! My husband had a special dish that they only had that night and loved it. Dessert was amazing and all were creations. I had a special banana split with a chargrilled banana which reminded me of when we used to camp. Hubby had cornbread and butter pudding which was yummy! All in all, a very good meal. Arizona is expensive, but then we are used to eating out at places like the Outback or Longhorn where it's a little cheaper because they buy in mass quantity. The only thing we really didn't care for is for a restaurant, it is very much like eating in a bar and we felt like the elderly as the average age of the client was 30 or less.

Reservations would be a good idea after 6 PM....dining in New Zealand seems later to American standards.

Favorite Dish: I loved the chargrilled banana split! If you have ever camped and threw a banana on the fire, then you understand what I am talking about!

• Singles
    • Business Travel

Gingko Authentic Chinese: By God this Baiju's Strong

by wrldtravler Written Nov 13, 2007

The food was good, the decor was a bit tacky but chinese in every way.

"The Baiju" was the highlight. It's the chinese equivalent of Saki and it kicks Saki's ass hands down.
    Super potent and to be drunk in thimble sized china shot glasses, the baiju is a perfect college drink. It gets you drunk for cheap, quickly and hits you hard.

Everything tastes and looks better after that.

Favorite Dish: The sauteed beans. The Pork and Lamb were served in huge portions and were real good.

• wrldtravler's Profile Photo

Dimitri's Souvlaki: Oh.. That's soo good!

by wrldtravler Written Nov 13, 2007

Dimitri's Souvlaki serves great Lamb Souvlaki's. Dimitri's Souvlaki serves great Lamb Souvlaki's. Dimitri's Souvlaki serves great Lamb Souvlaki's. Dimitri's Souvlaki serves great Lamb Souvlaki's. Dimitri's Souvlaki serves great Lamb Souvlaki's. Dimitri's Souvlaki serves great Lamb Souvlaki's. Dimitri's Souvlaki serves great Lamb Souvlaki's.

Favorite Dish: Dimitri's Souvlaki serves great Lamb Souvlaki's.

• wrldtravler's Profile Photo

Izakaya Yuki: Can I have Another?

by wrldtravler Written Nov 13, 2007

We’re hungry and trying real hard to like Dunedin. The ***ty scam room we got did some serious damage to our moods.

We venture out for our taste of this lively New Zealand city. We walk around the inner and outer quadrangle that makes the Dunedin city center and try looking for some stomach-filling options.

A tiny Japanese restaurant looks inviting with a wooden door and the only inkling of the décor is a flag fluttering outside.

Turns out this is the best Japanese food both me or my brother have had in a long long time. The food was exceptional and the atmosphere reminiscent of an old Japanese drinking den.

This place isn’t a discovery because all the tables were taken, but I’m surprised it’s not over-run, considering the food they serve.

Favorite Dish: Everything was beyond our expectation. This place set a new personal standard for Japanese food.

• Architecture

Highfield Estate: Dine & Wine

by wrldtravler Written Nov 13, 2007

The Highfield Estate is a famous NZ winery better known for its wines. The Wineyard also has a gourmet restaurant that serves rich entrees to accompany their wines.
    The restaurant is built on the highest point of the Wineyard (and most of blenheim). So you get sweeping views of the surrounding Marlborough region and its many wineyards.
    It's always special when your sipping a glass of wine and the very air echoes the wine's own bouquet.

Favorite Dish: The Lamb and Beef Main courses we indulged in were perfect.

• Wine Tasting

Thai Siam: The "New" New Zealand

by wrldtravler Written Nov 13, 2007

So New Zealand has taken to thai food, like the rest of us, with a vengence. Christchurch and just about all of NZ is floded with great thai restaurants.
    I'm not sure if this is a result of the best "cooking mom's" in thailand immigrating to New Zealand or if the Kiwi's just love thai food. But whatever the case good thai food can be had in NZ.

Thai Siam is a chain (we didn't know this then) and serves good thai food in a clean modern setting.

Favorite Dish: The lamb sizzling platter was just right.

• Beaches
    • Whale Watching

Sea Fest Tents: Seriously.. Don't Miss the fresh seafood

by wrldtravler Written Nov 13, 2007

The first Saturday in October is the annual Kaikoura sea fest. A day when the pacific plate drops and there is a huge under water trench that opens up. Huge sea mammals like whales and dolphins come for the feast and the city is packed with tents serving fresh seafood, music concerts and ample CrayFish (what the locals call Lobster's).

Favorite Dish: Cray Fish

• Aquarium
    • Beaches

• wrldtravler's Profile Photo

The Blue Ice Café: Pizza’s in New Zealand.

by wrldtravler Written Nov 13, 2007

A nice gourmet restaurant at eye level and a travelers den above ground. The pub on top is a great place to grab a drink, play some pool and exchange stories about your own New Zealand adventure.
    The heavy use of wood upstairs is both comfy and classy.

Favorite Dish: The Pizza’s set the mood for a laid back evening among friends.

• Skiing and Boarding
    • Hiking and Walking

The Landing: Lamb Shanks for the soul

by wrldtravler Written Nov 13, 2007

A typical (if commercial, it’s owned by speights the local brewery) ski town restaurant and bar with big windows to admire the view and fireplaces for warmth and that sense of cozyness.

Favorite Dish: The food is excellent and the portions are appropriate, after a day on the slopes or tramping. The Lamb Shank was a big hit on our table.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Skiing and Boarding

• wctan72's Profile Photo

Fergburger Queenstown: Don't miss this hamburger

by wctan72 Written Nov 12, 2007

Best hamburger I have ever tasted and its huge! Generous fillings makes it a great take away while you keep your adrenalin rushing in the adventure capital of the world...

Favorite Dish: Burger burger and more burgers!

• wrldtravler's Profile Photo

Blue Water Bar & Bistro: When in Opua...

by wrldtravler Updated Nov 7, 2007

Run by an American couple (well the guy's originally from New Zealand) Shana and Matt.
    The Blue Water restaurant is perhaps the best place to get a nice romantic gourmet meal in Opua.

Favorite Dish: The Rare Beef Salad was a knockout.

Mako: Beers on the Strip

by wrldtravler Written Nov 5, 2007

A happening place during the season (so the barman tells me). Mako is a sea front bar in Paihia that offers local pub grub with beers and an unbeatable view of the Paihia Bay.

During season they have Hoola Nights and i'm sure that's easy to do after tequila shots.

Favorite Dish: Samosas / spring roll platter. Nachos.

The Burgers are gourmet, huge and come well recommended, but I wasn't too hungry.

Opua Yacht Club: Sea Fare

by wrldtravler Written Nov 5, 2007

A great big hall with a bar, kitchen and outdoor seating. The Opua Yacht Club is a great place to catch up with locals and travellers sailing into or out of Opua. They have a very reasonably priced bar and the kitchen can make some great local favorites (read: Fish and Chips).

The decor is like a big living room with huge bay windows leading onto the outer deck that overlooks the marina.

There's a lot of local sea-fairing history up on the walls.

They also have showers for those who need one badly. I used it and would highly recommend it.

Favorite Dish: Fish & Chips!

Visiting sailors are welcome. Meals available Wed, Thurs (not in winter), Fri and Sun.

• IslandGirl10's Profile Photo

The Mussel Pot: MUSSELS!

by IslandGirl10 Written Sep 21, 2007

This was a quaint little place our friends took us because my hubby LOVES green shelled mussels! They sell other foods, but mussels are their big menu item. It's a very homey place...we visited on a cold and wet August afternoon and sat by the fire munching on mussel chowder, mussels, meat and cheese and drinking wine. It was fabulous!

Favorite Dish: I had a mussel there, but I still can't say I am crazy about them. My husband said they were wonderful and he loved the fact that they cook them several different methods. He actually had a very hard time deciding how he wanted them cooked. If you are a mussel fan, this is a good stop for you!

New Zealand Hotels

25 Reviews - 124 Photos
Nelson Hotels
92 Reviews - 182 Photos

Instant Answers: New Zealand

Comments

New Zealand Restaurants

kiwi's Profile Photo

We are lucky in New Zealand to have the influence of many and varied immigrants and travellers.

I say travellers because many Kiwis travel to far corners of the world and bring back ideas...

Map of New Zealand