Akaroa Favorites

View of Akaroa from Takamatua Hill.
    by Kakapo2
  • Unfair race: 1 farmer + 2 dogs against 1 sheep...
    Unfair race: 1 farmer + 2 dogs against 1...
  • Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Akaroa

• kris-t's Profile Photo

Akaroa

by kris-t Updated Mar 2, 2006

Akaroa

Favorite thing: Even today you find the main streets retain their French heritage and some of the early forms of architecture relate to those early days. Often regarded as the Riviera of Christchurch for its bays and cobalt blue waters Akaroa is a major vacation and weekend retreat.

• Eco-Tourism

Akaroa Beach

by CandS Updated Feb 27, 2006

Akaroa Beach

Favorite thing: If you like the beach then head down to the Akaroa Beach if you're in town... We were there on a 'warmish' day and there were heaps of people at the beach...and even some people in the water swimming! Brrr!! ;)

Akaroa Jetty

by CandS Written Jan 6, 2006

Akaroa Jetty

Favorite thing: The Akaroa Jetty is a beautiful area with some great views of the town and harbour... We caught our harbour cruise boat out on the jetty but there were also people just walking along it for the views...

• Hiking and Walking

Akaroa Harbour

by CandS Written Jan 6, 2006

Akaroa Harbour

Favorite thing: The Akaroa Harbour is a beautiful place...the water is a gorgeous aqua blue colour and the harbour is full of wild dolphins, seals and penguins as well as a lot of bird life. If you get the chance, go on a harbour cruise or just spend some time looking around...

• Sailing and Boating

The small pier

by Kate-Me Updated Dec 31, 2005

small pier in background

Favorite thing: My walk past the flowers continued, and I found myself with another beautiful tableau in front of me, this time of the small pier at the Rue Lavaud end of town (as opposed to the large pier, which is just a pier for bigger boats and the dolphin cruises, 600 mts or so further down at the Beach Rd end of the street).

I was even more reminded of the meditteranean when I saw the rocks instead of sand! (A little like at Nice in France, but their rocks are more pebbles).
    There is a sandy patch of beach at Akaroa, but fairly small and further around the bay, towards the large pier.
    More photos included of the small pier from my December 2005 visit...

Seals

by CandS Written Dec 31, 2005

Seals

Favorite thing: We came across a few lots of seals while we were on our dolphin cruise too... They were sunning themselves up on the rocks usually - looking very relaxed... Although these two were having a little tiff over who's rock it was... ;)

• Eco-Tourism

Palm Trees

vertical palm trees...

Fondest memory: Akaroa was also the first (and only) place on the holiday I managed to take a photo of what I started calling "vertical Palm Trees" because they point up, instead of down. I don't know what their real name is, but I found them rather interesting.
    Before I saw them in real life, I'd noticed them depicted in metal in an art studio or gallery, and wondered what they were doing with them, depicting them pointing upward!

Bumble Bee

by Kate-Me Written Mar 8, 2004

My first bumble bee sighting in NZ

Fondest memory: I hadn't realized that New Zealand had bumble bees until I spotted one by chance in the garden outside our room at Bon Accord.
    The only other time I've ever seen one was in Germany, and being fond of insects as well as animals, this was a special moment for me too - and for my camera, since I managed to capture it on digital.

Pohutakawa Trees

by Kate-Me Updated Mar 8, 2004

Pohutakawa trees

Favorite thing: New Zealand is famous for its Pohutukawa trees with their flaming red flowers which stand out brightly and at a good distance on even the dullest days.
    Unfortunately though, the trees are becoming quite endangered in some regions (due in part again to having their foliage ravaged by introduced Possums, who have a lot to answer for!)
    In ancient times, the Maori used to plant one of these trees to mark the burial place of their chiefs.
    At last finding several of these trees together (and in a place where I could actually photograph them) was a special moment for me of the holiday.

Flower walk

by Kate-Me Written Mar 8, 2004

Fondest memory: Another of my favorite memories is of the walk I took immediately after we'd arrived and taken our gear inside Bon Accord backpackers.
    I wanted to see exactly how close we were to the water's edge, so I set off from Bon Accord, crossed the road, and followed a little path near Rue Jolie, which led me past a beautiful garden with many of these Red Hot Poker flowers, which looked just magnificent against the harbour and the blue sky.
    Not sure if they're a NZ flower, as we have them in Australia too, but this was the first time I'd been up close to any in NZ.

• Hiking and Walking

The harbour

by Kate-Me Written Mar 8, 2004

Fondest memory: One of the best memories I had is of taking a stroll by myself at leisure, down to the harbour, near the long pier, and admiring the palm and Norfolk Pine trees, and the small boats looking even brighter in the bright sunshine.

• Kate-Me's Profile Photo

The well loved little Citroen...

by Kate-Me Written Feb 20, 2004

the number plate says it all!

Favorite thing: While I was busy taking this photo, the cute little Citroen's middle aged owners came along, and off they went.
    I've a friend who collects Citroens, so it was great for me to be able to get a photo of this one, in a French styled town, so far from France.

Citroen 2CV

by Kate-Me Written Feb 20, 2004

Favorite thing: I happened to be walking down the street at one point, and happened across this cute 2CV French car, obviously well loved, as it appeared it had been shipped out from England.
    Went with the streetscape scenery quite nicely!

• rozehill's Profile Photo

Beautiful Gardens

by rozehill Written Apr 13, 2003

Potter's Croft Gardens

Favorite thing: "Potter's Croft"
    A turn of the century farmhouse has been renovated and extended to create an elegant homestead with wide wisteria-draped verandahs. Landscaped gardens of 3.5 acres, filled with roses, perennials and beautiful ornamental trees, feature a large natural pond, rustic bridges over the stream, rose-covered summerhouse and a superb pergola walk.
    A small flock of sheep are nearby and there are optional bush walks and magnificent ancient trees.

• rozehill's Profile Photo

Pompellier House

by rozehill Written Apr 5, 2003

Pompellier House

Favorite thing: Bishop Pompallier established a mission station in Akaroa in 1840. The present St. Patrick's church was built in 1865. In 1897, two Sisters of Mercy arrived to establish a convent school. Satisfied they went home to Lyttelton and three different Sister's came over to live and teach. At first they lived in a nearby house and taught school in the church. A separate building which was to serve as a school room was moved onto church property in 1906 and the Sisters moved into their newly completed convent in Feb 1907. The convent was built by John James Walker and later the addition at the north end with 2 bedrooms, a music room and classroom in about 1912.

Instant Answers: Akaroa

Comments

Akaroa Favorites

Reviews and photos of Akaroa favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Akaroa sightseeing.