Akaroa Restaurants

• al2401's Profile Photo

L'Hotel: Open Fire !!!

by al2401 Updated Aug 3, 2012

L'Hotel Akaroa

This is a typical resort restaurant with kerbside dining - great on a sunny day. It is also an accommodation house. We loved the sign outside - Open Fire !!! - I didn't have a gun!

Favorite Dish: We only stopped for lunch so had the soup of the day which was a Thai Pumpkin. Very tasty with a piece of crunchy bread and butter.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo

Duvauchelle Hotel: Only a true trencherman ....

by TheWanderingCamel Updated Apr 4, 2011

Historic hotel

... could hope to finish the enormous meals served at the Duvauchelle Hotel. This is tasty, substantial cafe food - nothing grand but well cooked standards such as steaks, fried fish, tender ribs, hearty pies, home-made soups as well as a few international flavours - good, rib-sticking stuff served with a smile in a friendly local pub atmosphere.

There's a big restaurant area with views of the bay that I'm sure fills up at weekends and on holidays but we were there on a quiet mid-week night and that area was deserted so we chose to eat at a table in the bar - much more congenial.

The hotel is an historic old building - one of the very first hotels in the South Island (maybe even the first) - a long, low wooden building on the main road into Akaroa. Walk around the back and you'll find the very attractive looking waterfront accommodation units - this could be a good place to stay.

Favorite Dish: Do you know - I can't remember what I had (definite senior moment there) except it was good. I do remember one of our party being served the biggest plate of ribs I've seen outside the US of A, and he finished every last stickyfingered one of them and sat back with a beatific smile on his face.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo

The Little Bistro: New name, same high standards

by TheWanderingCamel Updated Apr 15, 2010

A new name

Fresh white paint, a tempting blackboard menu and a new name greeted us when when turned up at a favourite Akaroa restaurant on our most recent visit. What had been "C'est la Vie" - an Akaroa institution, reknowned almost as much for its funky decor as its delicious food - had transformed itself with a stylish makeover into "The Little Bistro".

A new owner/chef, a new look, a new name maybe - but still the same high standards of food and service I'm happy to say. The dishes that sounded so tempting on the blackboard by the front door lived up to all the menu had promised - with good wine to match. All in all a great evening. Looking set to keep up the standards set by its predecessor, even if it hasn't followed the Akaroa tradition of using a Frenchified "Le P'tit " in its name, The Little Bistro won the same top marks from us as C'est La Vie had always done.

Favorite Dish: There's just one word for the meal we ate at The Little Bistro - delicious! Fresh, local ingredients and great cooking to suit the season is always a winner.

Two soups - one made from flavoursome roasted kumara and root vegetables - autumn's bounty in a bowl - the other a creamy chowder packed with seafood fresh from the waters of the South Pacific - a great start to dinner on a rainy night with the first nip of winter in the air.

Main courses followed - rib-eye steak for MrL , a blue cheese-spiked vegetable risotto for me - both cooked to exactly the right state of melting tenderness. No room for dessert, though the local farm berries with vanilla bean icecream was more than a little tempting. Next time ....

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Hilltop Tavern aka Hilltop Café & Bar: Café with the best View of Banks Peninsula

by Kakapo2 Written May 29, 2008

Now they call it Hilltop Café & Bar but I keep calling it Hilltop Tavern, as it has been known forever. This country pub with the magic view of Akaroa Harbour, right along the State Highway 75, has been a stopping-point for travellers for more than a hundred years – and now there are often stories around about people spending the night there when they get surprised by snow, and the roads get unpassable until the next morning. However, to make one thing clear: The Hilltop Tavern is no hotel ;-)

The new owners have nicely renovated the place and enhanced the menu, and you can stop for a drink, snack or full meal. There are panoramic windows inside, so you can enjoy the postcard-like view over the harbour, and in nice weather conditions you can sit outside. It surely is the café with the best view of the whole of Banks Peninsula, not just Akaroa Harbour. Tour buses stop here for refreshments or at least for a photo.

Winter opening hours Mon – Fri 9.30 am – 3pm, Sat/Sun 9.30am – 5pm

• Aidy_p's Profile Photo

Akaroa Fish Shop: Larget Portion of Fish & Chips

by Aidy_p Written Jun 29, 2007

Caught in the Act of Eating!

A rather obscure shop along the beach. The queue for the Fish & Chip is reknown but we just had to get our hands on it. Some say that they serve the best fish and chips in the world.

Once we have collected our food, we quickly drove back to our apartment to start our feast. We were truly overwhelmed by the amount of fish and fries they gave us. A pack could serve two persons!

• imstress's Profile Photo

Akaroa Fish Shop: Akaroa Fish Shop

by imstress Written May 21, 2006

Akaroa Fish Shop serves one of the best Fish & Chips we have tasted on our South Island Trip.

There were many orders ahead of us and we have to wait for our lunch to be served. We choose the batter for the fish and fries to go along with it. We were given a number when we made payment. We waited for our number to be called out. Collected our meal and have it at the benches overlooking the harbour.

A very worthwhile meal if you are on budget.

• Kaytie's Profile Photo

?: Best fish and chips!!

by Kaytie Written May 1, 2006

Dont know what it was called, but the town is so small it was the only fish and chip place across the road from the water. Everyone sat outside eating fish and chips. Had Akaroa cod caught locally, gorgeous!!!

Fish N Chips: Fish N Chips

by Kate-Me Written Jan 1, 2006

Fish N Chips

Just a little fish n chip shop down by the main wharf.... Akaroa's restaurants tend to be a bit on the pricey side, but this place was quite good.

Favorite Dish: I was pleasantly pleased to see some fish only $2 per piece, so tried some Hoki and Gurnard for myself (both NZ specialties, I believe). Delicious!

The Hilltop Cafe & Bar: Overlooking Banks peninsula, about 30 mins out

by Kate-Me Written Dec 31, 2005

What I really like about this restaurant is that the view is great, but the prices of the restaurant/cafe aren't similarly over the top... indeed the cafe prices are quite modest, a nice surprise indeed. Well worth a stop...magnificent views. Most of my banks peninsula photos were taken from this very spot, in the car park.

Favorite Dish: The coffee was nice, and I really enjoyed the huge chocolate chip cookies (something NZ seems to do very well indeed) which were only about $1.20 ea.

• Mariannka's Profile Photo

Akaroa Bakery & Cafe: Not so great because it's too popular?

by Mariannka Updated Dec 6, 2005

Nice views from restaurant but that's about it. Food was old and dry, staff didn't know what vegetarian means and tried to offer ham sandwich when I asked for the vegetarian option... no toilet in bakery and according to staff the nearest one is 10 minute walk to the left when in reality there is another public toilet 2 minutes to the right (which I only just discovered later)...there are plenty of cafes next door to it with all facilities and probably better food (which wouldn't be hard to achieve).

Favorite Dish: none

• leeleebell's Profile Photo

Ma Maison: Great setting, great food

by leeleebell Updated Oct 21, 2004

View from Ma Maison

This is a great little cafe/restaurant that serves fresh innovative NZ cuisine. Great to place to relax and has seating outdoors as well as in.

the photo is the view we had while sitting on the terrace

Akaroa Bakery: Bakery

by Kate-Me Written Mar 8, 2004

For economically priced food (as overall even the supermarket in Akaroa - which is part of the Milkbar - is expensive) I always head for the bakery.

Favorite Dish: There is a view of the waterfront, pier and palm trees from out the front, as well as the French flag which marks the Cairn commemorating the landing of the French settlers on board the 'Comte de Paris.'

C'est la vie: Traditional French

by Kate-Me Written Mar 8, 2004

C'est La Vie

C'est la vie is, from what I could tell, wandering the whole village, Akaroa's only Authentic traditional French restaurant.
    (I didn't actually get to eat there, as $20-$25 main meals are out of my price range).
    Soup of the day for $10 was French Onion (which I sometimes wonder if it is even French) and there were also nice desserts.
    The building also looks a bit more French than some of the others.

Restaurant Turenne: Bakery items, sandwiches, hot & cold drinks

by Kate-Me Written Feb 22, 2004

Firstly, I liked Cafe/Restaurant Turenne because the prices were more reasonable than other cafes I checked out in the town, and sitting outside on the pavement, you could see the couple of hundred metres down the side road to a part of the waterfront, so the surroundings were pleasant. It's just off the main road, so a little more secluded than some of the other cafes (not that traffic makes a huge noise in town anyway, ordinarily it seems)

Favorite Dish: I tried a most delicious Egg and Bacon pie (something they just wouldn't serve up in an Aussie cafe or bakery, so it was quite special to me to be able to choose from different quiches and pies that we don't have at home.)

Cafe Eiffel: Breakfasts and meals

by Kate-Me Written Feb 19, 2004

I didn't actually eat here, just admired the decor, but the place was doing a great trade from the visiting hoard of Harley Davidson motorcyclists when I went past, and had apparently traded in some of its 'Frenchness' for the weekend in favour of all day breakfast with steak and chips and more usual menu.

• Business Travel

Instant Answers: Akaroa

Comments

Akaroa Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Akaroa restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Akaroa sightseeing.