Aranui Travel Guide

ya close enough Mate?
    Cabbage Tree
    by pepples46
    the pott of gold/Eureka St.

Aranui Things to Do

• my Recreational Patch

the Avon..gaelic for River, is my daily 'workout'. the walkway around 2.5km each way and on a sunny morning, the wildlife is out and about too.the Pukeko, grey Herons, Kingfisher and all the Ducks...not to mention the cheeky Seagulls.and on the River..other early Birds..rowing and canoeing very popular at any season of the year.

• Dublin Bay

my beautiful dark red Dublin Bay Rose....a climber, need vigorous pruning in early winter, around June here in New Zealand.she would climb over the roof, her full sun spot is ideal for being exuberant...and if you do not take good care, she knows how to defend herself with her long and hart thorns.

• my Backyard

Spring has been here today, then it turned all to custard..but I talked about it in the intro.now a couple of days later, Spring Storms have set in, the Nor'wester who can drive you crazy is rattleling and shacking the young grows on the Roses, and they just don't like it. my Daffs are gone now....and a young Avocado tree will have to struggle to...

Aranui Restaurants

• inside

I have always time for a cuppa, and I make a good one, if I may say so and having a piece of cake, Napoleon Squares, fresh from the bakery, no problem.

• variety

we could have Lamingtons or Custard Squares, homemade if I am in a good mood. or I just popp out and get them from the Bakery.......looks inviting does it not?!

• Aranui Hotels

0 Hotels in Aranui

Aranui Nightlife

• when night is falling

the huge Gum tree across the Road in my Neighbours Garden....I had to step on a ladder to get the shot ^..^ all for VT!! I was already in my pyjamas

• we hedgehogs

she took me in, somehow got separated from my Family....the Hedgehogs.Wal calls me Rumble, suppose I rumbled around the box she put me in, all the cats in this family had a sniff...so what I suppose to do? made myself bigger, spiky..so they left me alone. I've got only one dress suits me just fine

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Aranui? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Aranui Transportation

by pepples46 Written Sep 13, 2005

or Bus...to Wainoni Road. but the Car brings freedom, so does the Bike. and we have a wonderful regreational patch around here, excellent for biking, healthy and cheap transport while it gets more expensive to fill up the car.

car or bike thats the question, both
    • Cycling

Aranui Shopping

by pepples46 Updated Apr 30, 2006

, cross between a Dairy and Supermarkt for Groceries ..one has forgotten when at the big Supermarket. nice owners. pies for lunch, icecream, milk and fizzy drinks.

What to pay: reasonable prices, sure the suppermarkt is cheaper..but the walk there is a fine exercise for me anyway

I walk he paddles..forgotten the milk? lol

Aranui Local Customs

• Swamp-Hen's, Duck's, Swan's..

and more feathered birds living close by and on the river. the small Cockayne Reserve is attached to the river, a world in its own.the common Duck and also the Paradise Duck have a ball. the grey Heron is stalking along the Riverbank, not shy at all and now and then the Kingfisher with its colourful plumage makes a visit. black Swan's from Western...

• Emma..and others

Emma always comes down to the gate to greet me when I come home and she blends in with the driveway pebbles...the others often do that too, still, Emma is the most curious. she has been a good friend to Lady and both often enjoyed sharing a sunny possie with each other

• yes, we live here too

not always on the fence...no, no, we have our possies too. some sleep on Wal's bed, some sit on the CD player..warm bottom if you ask, the Koalas hanging around the lamppost hehehehe, and Garfield in the bathroom...he often is in a bad mood when he hadn't had his pizza fuel. anyway, he's alright though

Aranui Warnings and Dangers

by pepples46 Written Nov 18, 2003

this morning, at North Beach. How do I know it wasn't a he....they are a bit crumpy, easy attacing and hissing.
    the female Seal is more sedate, friendy and this one is a youngster. she looked a bit starved and very tired, but friendly and happy with us and had no problems with me, taking a pic....it is not the best one, but I did not like to distrub her too much!
    the warning here is: if you see a Seal or Sealion on NZ Beaches, just give the Police a call, they know what to do and pass the message on to the Rangers...don't touch, don't hassle, don't just walk away.....we need to protect wildlife!
    we called up the Beach Rangers, to ensure she get's a feed and is looked after for the next 24h, then she should be alright and go back to the open sea

She...Seal
    • Whale Watching
    • Adventure Travel
    • Beaches

Aranui Tourist Traps

• Snow

from August till Sept..even early October,the gasp of winter can be quite severe and often dumping a load of snow on the City. be prepared bring your long johns in case or buy some, freezing temperature can spoil the fun have fun and create a snowman 0r ..bird watching, like Charles

• Smartie

Smartie looks for the best seat in the house, you thought you can rest your tired bones, sit down.... she jumps up and claims that place for herself if you got a seat, don't move I am sorry to tell you....there is none, maybe bring your own chair

Have you been to Aranui? Write about Aranui to help travelers.

Aranui What to Pack

by pepples46 Updated Sep 21, 2004

Miscellaneous: is what you need to bring, maybe your old toothbrush, everything else will be taking coal to Newcastle ^..^
    piccolina's flag I got with permission

it is a local custom in this house
    • School Holidays

Aranui Off The Beaten Path

• on the Jetty

for all kind's of watersport, sailing and windsurfing is allowed, but no boats with a motor, the habitat is to fragil for that. the Jetty is in winter often crowded with birds, taking a deserved sunbath after a cold niteits a quiet place during the week, the walkways often deserted a spot to relax and for Birdwatching, don't forget your binoculos.

• Estuary

a 2.5km walkway along the Avon and you find yourself amongs Christchurch's Birdlife.the Estuary a wonderful recreational spot. watersport is possible, ballgames, tree climbing or just having a picnic. the birds are protected and also know how to look after themselfsHerons, Spoonbills, Kingfisher amongst Terns, Seagulls, Stilts, Black Swans, the old...

• Bottlelake Forest

around 4km from home, the Bottlelake Forest is the ideal place to walk Rosie on hot summers day. an artifical Forest of huge Pine tree's, supplying the local Building industry. but it is also a very importand recreational patch for Mountainbiking, Horseriding and walkers, with separate tracks for each sport. when you have the stamina to walk...

Aranui Sports & Outdoors

• potting in the garden

and if that is not possible, wintertime.time for a rest, then the inside plants will be taken care of........and they sure show their appreciation, like my Pohutukawa Mini bit of potting mix, and green thumbs would be a plus.

• watching Cricket

from mid October till end of March is Cricket season here in Oceania. and I have fallen for this game, quite obsess you could call it. the 2003/2004 season is peticular interesting. both Countries playing there games at home, so I am fulltime ocuppied..play starts at 10am and finish at 5pm here in NZwill have to schedule my daily duties and getting...

• Aranui Hotels

0 Hotels in Aranui

Aranui Favorites

• Fruit Tree's

beside my beautiful, Appletree, I have a lovely golden Peach Tree...and it is just in Blossom. can't wait for the Peach season you might not believe it...but it's true, I grew it from a Peachstone a Friend gave me. ..and it worked. the tree is now 9 years old and bears quite a bit of fruit, actually a lot

• I had a Vege Garden

not anymore, it is just back breacking and I can't do it anymore, still.....I plant my spicies, ...Garlic, Parsley, Chives, Garlic- Chives, Rosmary, and what have you....and that'll do for me I love Garlic, such a wonderful gift from mother nature. usualy I buy very good organic cloves, then shortly after the last freezing days of winter I plant...

• Aranui

used to be the Garden area for Christchurch and with a rich history for this young City of Christchurch.the first school was build in 1911at Carters Road. the Golfcourse finished in 1919 at Avondale, right down the Road.1923, Richard Pearse, NZ Aviation Pioneer, build 3 House here in 1923, two he rented out and lived in the 3rdPearse made his first...

Instant Answers: Aranui

Comments

Explore Deeper into Aranui
my treasure