Hagley Park, Christchurch
When the first settlers from England arrived at Lyttelton in 1850, they brought with them the gardening traditions of that country. It was just 13 years after their arrival that the initial plans were made to form the present Botanical Gardens.
On 9th July 1863, the first tree was planted in the grounds to comemmorate the marriage of Prince Albert Edward to Princess Alexandra of Denmark. This tree, an English Oak , recorded as the Albert Edward Oak, is regarded as the foundation date of the Government Domain, later to become the Botanical Gardens.
Controls of the Botanical Gardens was until 1946 vested in the Chch Domains Board, but due to the financial difficulties the govt dissolved the Board and placed control and funding under the jurisdiction of the Chch City Council, the dept of Parks and Recreation having responsibility for day to day management.
Fondest memory: William Moorhouse, statue, is surrounded by seasonal flower beds. Mr. Moorhouse is responsible for the tunnel through the port hills linking the port of Lyttleton to the city of Christchurch.
Favorite thing: The park is located in the Central Business District of Christchurch. The Avon River winds around it. The tall sculpture on the river bank is a Maori sculpture.