Know about this? Rate It!
To get out of the city for a while we went up the cable car to the top of a hill and then biked down.
The weather was crap but was still a great trip out and a lot of fun mountain biking down the hill.
Sign of the Takahe
The sign of the Takahe was completed in 1949, and is one of four roadhouses built to preserve the natural state of the Port Hills, which overlook Christchurch and Lyttelton harbour. This exceptional building was designed with the concept of combining English manors, castles and inns with the outcome being the stately Takahe. The building itself was constructed using stone quarried locally from the Port Hills. Most of the stonework was laboriously hand shaped using relatively primitive tools. There are wonderful views over Christchurch and magnificent gardens around this homestead and often there are weddings held here, very popular with overseas couples.
In the distance you can see the Southern Alps which go almost the entire length of the South Island and includes Mount Cook, 3764 metres, Australsia's highest peak.
Ferrymead Historic Park: If...
Ferrymead Historic Park: If you are travelling with children, you may want to check out Ferrymead (269 Bridle Path Road) to sample what Christchurch was like back in colonial times. Conversely, the trams in the central city were provided by this park.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save Up To 50% On Hotels
- Orbitz.com Find great deals on Orbitz & pay no hotel change or cancel fees
Christchurch Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Isola San Giulio Hotels
- Nandi Hotels
- Cornwall Hotels
- Harstine Island Hotels
- Nakhon Si Thammarat
- Parco Nazionale del Vesuvio
- Copenhagen Off The Beaten Path
- Italy Off The Beaten Path
- Monterey Off The Beaten Path
- Banff Off The Beaten Path
- Victoria Off The Beaten Path
- Saint Petersburg Off The Beaten Path
- Newport Off The Beaten Path
- Liguria Off The Beaten Path
- Barry Island
- Day Trip: Montserrat
- Townsville Off The Beaten Path
- Strasbourg Off The Beaten Path