MU Steakhouse, Christchurch

4 out of 5 stars 1 Reviews

92 Lichfield Street (03) 377 0681

A glass of wine at MU Steakhouse.
    by Kakapo2
  • Fresh apple pie with crème anglaise and berries.
    Fresh apple pie with crème anglaise and...
    by Kakapo2
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

MU Steakhouse: Succulent Steaks and Divine Desserts

by Kakapo2 Updated Jun 8, 2011
    A glass of wine at MU Steakhouse.

... is located in the cordoned-off Red Zone of Christchurch, so has been out of service since the earthquake on 22 February 2011.

(Update June 2011)

Although MU is a steakhouse and the MU indeed stands for the Moo of cattle and cows it is so much more. First of all, an absolutely lovely place, with a huge bar area in the front part of the restaurant. They even have a separate space for smokers at the very front, so they do not have to linger around in the cold like in most other restaurants and bars I know.

The restaurant is layed out on several levels, so it also is well suited for private functions.
    I was there for a midwinter Christmas function. We sat near the open-to-view kitchen and could see how well the chefs and kitchen-hands worked. The areas are separated by a big display cabinet where you can see all kinds of steaks they prepare for you.

The food was delicious – although I have to criticise that they did not ask any of us how we wanted our steaks cooked, and most people forgot to ask because everybody is so used to being asked – you know, which sauce (and I got the wrong one LOL), potatoes or rice, and so on… You can imagine the consequence of this mistake: Some people saw the too raw meat of their steaks in horror and sent them back to the kitchen. “We always cook our steaks medium”, said the waiter. Well, for some people medium is too rare, and others want it well done. My succulent steak was perfect – but I was just lucky.

The next complication came when two guys wanted extra fries, and the set menu only noted vegetables… Instead of saying that this would come at an extra cost (which the guys would have happily paid) the waiter nearly passed out at this request, mentioning that fries were not part of the set menu, and he just did not order the fries. So the two guys had to ask again when the steaks arrived, paid their fries – and got them at some point…

But really, this slightly helpless staff was the only – and only a minor – nuisance. The food was top notch. The meat top quality, each of the vegetables cooked to perfection, still with a crunch, and the desserts just divine.

Favorite Dish: As said, we had a set menu. There we had the choice of steak, a chicken dish, and fish. Everything was wonderful – looked wonderful, tasted wonderful. Everybody was totally delighted with the food.

The desserts were gluten-free chocolate cake with Café Latte ice-cream and fresh apple pie with something cinnamony, crème anglaise and berry compote. I tested both :-) They were not too sweet, like so many desserts in sugar-loving New Zealand, and so many distinctive flavours that complemented each other perfectly.

On photo 2 you see the divine apple pie dessert