Sticky Fingers, Christchurch

by knerten
  • HarShe's Profile Photo

Sticky Fingers: Great atmosphere, good food & wines

by HarShe Updated Apr 4, 2011

It is very conveniently located, near the CBD. Oxford Terrace is lined by numerous cafes & restaurants - a good choice of different styles. The atmosphere is great with the river flowing in front, and the restaurant is open till late (unlike some in Cathedral Square). Good selection of wines - we had decided to taste different Kiwi wines during our stay and were not disappointed (very comparable to the great Aussie wines). With both indoor & outdoor sitting, you can take you pick according to the weather. However, beware - nights on South Island can get a bit chilly even during summer and it might be worth carrying a light jacket. The inside decor is interesting - lots of wooden hands (& fingers) holding the lights - check out picture at Sticky Fingers

• knerten's Profile Photo

Sticky Fingers: A really big meal

by knerten Updated Jul 23, 2004

Rib steak, 450 grams, NZ$29

Bar/pub/restaurant. Friday night, so a lot people, loud and noisy, hard to make a conversation. We were sitting in an outdoor tent, heated by gas lanters that did not work (kept going on and off), so our feet were freezing cold, and the upper body so-so. Anyway, we enjoyed ourselves. I guess it was just not the right season to be sitting outside. Inside would have been too crowded. Good food, so if you're coming for the food, try during the day, not at night, and not on a Friday night.

Favorite Dish: Rib steak. A 450 gram (1 pound) steak on the bone, served on roasted potates with salad. A very simple dish, but tasty and filling. I asked for rare and it was perfectly rare, just right. NZ$ 29.50. Judging from what else I had tried in Chch this seemed a bit overpriced. Looking at what the other people in party had, which cost about the same, and which was deliciously prepared and served, the price was right. It's just that I chose the simple dish with no thrills.

• rozehill's Profile Photo

Bohemian cafe - bar: For all seasons

by rozehill Written Jan 19, 2004

Outside

In summer outside river view dining or
    In winter sink into the comfy couches and armchairs by the fireside

Favorite Dish: Great variety of foods catering for all tastes for
    breakfasts, lunches or dinners

Selection of bottled and tap beers from all over the world.

Open 7 days

• rozehill's Profile Photo

Viaduct Resaurant and Bar: Restful

by rozehill Written Jan 17, 2004

superior service

Old Italian styled restaurant and bar, great atmosphere. Enjoy the delicious blend of flavours from manuka wood-fired oven. Extensive menu including seafood and the best pizzas in town

Favorite Dish: Wheelchair access
    Inside and outside dining

• Audrey118's Profile Photo

Sticky Fingers: Melt in your Mouth Roast Lamb

by Audrey118 Updated Dec 7, 2003

sumptuous finger lickin' racks

I read of Sticky Fingers from several popular reviews such as in Frommers but did not see it reviewed by any VT members.

Some said the name of the restaurant could be tied to a Rolling Stone album....but well...you sure get your fingers sticky in this bar - restaurant.

The first thing that caught my eye was the door handle - which is shaped like a golden spread out palm (our hand ok) and also the lamp shades than hangs on the dining boothtype seats. And very funny - I saw the same lights at the Art Centre in the Artisan section and I went back another day to the Art Centre - and he said he was commissioned to do that for the restaurant.

Otherwise the interior was very ordinary.

Favorite Dish: My favourite dish would be my main course - the roast rackof lamb with roasted garlic and potato and baby beetroot was really yummy. The sauce was also very delicious. My husband's salmon was not flash. We also shared an entree - a platter of seafood which had two of each - seared scallop, freshly shucked oyster and boiled scampi. to finish off we had a tiramisu,...very yummy.

with fruit juice the bill came up to NZ100 - pretty much as we expected.

the service was commandable. we asked for directions to the casino and the waitress was so kind to draw it out on the map and re-assured us it was safe to walk through the park.

Instant Answers: Christchurch