The Mona Vale Homestead, Christchurch

• knerten's Profile Photo

The Mona Vale Homestead: Perfect for a Sunday Brunch

by knerten Updated Jul 20, 2004

Devonshire Tea

It was a beautiful sunny Sunday. On my morning walk I decided to take a stroll through Mona Vale, since I had just gotten to Chch, and since I had not seen this area before. This was a great park, perfect for a picnic.
    The Mona Vale homestead lies on the banks of the River Avon and serves tea on their outside terrace. Now, even in mid winter, while there was a chilly wind in the park, I did not sense the slightest breeze on the terrace, and with the sun being quite warm after all, I took my chance at having my brunch outside.
    That was the best hour of that day. Yes, I sat there for one full hour, just enjoying myself.
    I had sparrows hopping on and off my table, surely they would have hopped on and off my food too, had I let them. There were ducks swimming on the river, and the view was so calm and soothing.
    That was until a group of Japanese tourists arrived, clicking away with their cameras. I felt like I was on display like some tourist attraction. Luckily, they vansished as quickly as they had appeared.

Favorite Dish: Devonshire Tea:
    A big warm and freshly baked sultana scone, with jam, butter and cream in separate dishes, two cucumber salmon sandwiches, and a hot drink of your choice, $11.

Instant Answers: Christchurch

Comments

Hotels Near The Mona Vale Homestead
3.5 out of 5 stars