Two Fat Indians, Christchurch

• Kate-Me's Profile Photo

Two Fat Indians: Indian Food 1

by Kate-Me Written Mar 3, 2004

decor in the restaurant

For a start, it's the only Indian restaurant I've ever been in which has a bar - and this one has a huge one! Almost a wine bar kind of bar, but not too expensive, and plenty of beers and spirits too. The decor of the restaurant is also very attractive - it, like the nice music, is neither eastern or western, but a pleasant blend of both.
    Part of what attracted us to the restaurant was that it looked so busy (and it stayed that way till after 9.30 when all other restaurants in the vicinity looked to be packing up to go home!), clean and inviting looking....and only 2 blocks from our backpackers and we were starving!
    But we starved no more - despite how busy they were, and that the food is cooked from fresh, it didn't take too long to arrive at all.
    A most enjoyable evening.

Favorite Dish: It's difficult to say what my favourite dish of this restaurant was, because the menu was so different to your average Indian menu (had dishes from different regions of India as well) and I loved everything I tried!
    For Mains I had the Lamb Boti Marsala, which was as unusual and delicious as it sounds, with a thick reddish sauce, rich but not too much so.
    I especially liked their many different breads, which included a kind of naan bread stuffed with onions, and another with cheese.
    I have to give this restaurant my 'best meal of the whole trip' in NZ, and I'd even go so far as to say it's the best Indian meal I've ever had, with the most variety of menu.

• Business Travel

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo

Two Fat Indians

by frankcanfly Updated Dec 20, 2004

Here is a very nice Indian Restaurant with wonderfully spicy and aromatic foods!

Favorite Dish: Their Punjabi dishes are my favorite, and their beer selections are very complimentary to the food.

I had the Chicken Kali Mirch:

"Chicken marinated with cheese and cashew paste, cooked in the tandoor and finished with tomatoes in creamy sauce with a tinge of black pepper."

It was goooooood!

• Kate-Me's Profile Photo

Two Fat Indians: Indian Food 2

by Kate-Me Written Mar 3, 2004

Ronnie behind his bar

Part of what was so delightful about our visit to this restaurant, was meeting the owner and chatting to him. Busy though he must have been (not only did he serve behind the bar and help out in the kitchen if needed, he also saw to it that people were happy and had enjoyed their meals).
    He was a very hands on manager, and I predict that this new business will go a very long way.
    He had connections with areas where we're from, as he used to live there, which provided another good talking point.
    We felt very welcome in his restaurant, a very warm atmosphere, and had a great time, no longer feeling like strangers in a strange city after this. We even went back the next day for drinks and entree, just before we had to leave for the airport, and Ronnie spent even more time chatting with us at the bar.

Instant Answers: Christchurch

Comments

Hotels Near Two Fat Indians
4.5 out of 5 stars