Know about this? Rate It!
Jetboating on the Waimakariri River
You do not have to travel as far as Queenstown if you want to go on a jetboating trip. The Waimakariri River near Christchurch is one of the not so famous NZ jetboating destinations but you can have a lot of fun there, too.
The "Waimak" is one of the most spectacular braided river systems we have and Canterbury is famous for. It flows into the sea 25kms north of Christchurch.
The trip leads deep into the foothills of the Southern Alps, and like on the Shotover the drivers perform a 360 degree spin, called the Hamilton spin - a guy with this name invented jetboating in the 1950s. The company is recognized for its safety record.
The boats offer seating for up to 22 passengers.
The company offers pick-up service from Christchurch.
Check the actual prices by phone as they are not provided on the website (which is something I hugely dislike about tourism operators because it gives the impression they are hugely overpriced and try to hide it).
Equipment: Normal clothes depending on the weather plus windbreaker for the windchill factor on the boat. Swimvests are provided, nothing else is needed. People with back or heart problems should not make the trip.
- Adventure Travel
Jet boating was invented for the typical snow fed rivers like the Waimakariri River. These Jet Boats go flying through shingle banks, skipping across shallow streams and over narrow, ever shifting courses.THRILLING!!!
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Official Site
- Travelocity Official Site
Christchurch Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Pallaskenry Hotels
- Ithaca Hotels
- Skedsmokorset Hotels
- Malibu Creek State Park Hotels
- Isola di San Pietro
- Easter Island Sports & Outdoors
- Pietermaritzburg Sports & Outdoors
- Pulau Tioman Sports & Outdoors
- Stadiums and sports venues
- Grindelwald Sports & Outdoors
- Isla de Tenerife Sports & Outdoors
- Amsterdam Sports & Outdoors
- Dubai Sports & Outdoors
- Torquay Sports & Outdoors
- Morocco Sports & Outdoors
- Yellowknife Sports & Outdoors
- Cartagena Sports & Outdoors