Methven Warnings and Dangers

Wasps feeding on honeydew.
    by Kakapo2
    Getting on my feet again... ;-)
    by Kakapo2

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Methven

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Wasps - Pests of the Beech Forests

by Kakapo2 Written Aug 3, 2008

Wasps feeding on honeydew.

If you have a wasp allergy carry anti-histamines or whatever you need in case of a wasp-bite with you. Just for the case. You will walk through beechforest which is rich of honeydew.

You recognise this easily because the trunks of the trees are black, covered in the mould created by a scale insect that produces honeydew. This honeydew does not only attract bellbirds but also pests like wasps. (And they are even German!)

I have walked through many such forests without ever having been attacked by a wasp but you never know. It is like with dogs that, as they owners use to say, never bite – until they do it the first time.

The sandflies that can torture you in this area are no real danger but a nuisance, as their bites can be very itchy, and the marks might not disappear for months.

• Eco-Tourism

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Slippery Boardwalks

by Kakapo2 Updated Aug 3, 2008

Getting on my feet again... ;-)

I admit that I do not always watch my steps when I walk in the forest, as all the birds flying around and singing distract me a lot.

I do not remember if I was distracted or not – but once on the Sharplin Falls Walk I slipped on a boardwalk which I consider a special danger when this thinnish wirenet is attached on top.

I did not injure myself, and my normal reaction in such cases is to laugh like crazy. This again relaxes my muscles so much that I cannot stand up. Making the mission of getting back on my feet even more difficult was the fact that my right foot was stuck in the mud between the last board and the tree trunk lying in the track, and I did not want to get dirty LOL So I pushed up my upper body and called my husband for help. So I stood more or less on my hands while he freed my trapped foot. And voilà – I was free again, and nearly as clean as at the start of the walk :-)

But what I really want to say: Those boardwalks are never as safe as you might think they are. They give a false feeling of security, as they protect you from sinking into the mud. But at the end, they are slippery. But they keep your shoes clean… ;-)

• Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Methven

Comments

Methven Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Methven warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Methven sightseeing.